Who here actually plays hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

got the XXXX with an 89 flex and a pretty mean toe curve to it. Shots go wild sometimes, but its easy to go up high close into the net.
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
      Also, speaking of sticks, what kind of curves does everyone use?
      I've used the Paul Coffey pattern since it was produced by Bending Branches. When Sherwood picked up the pattern, I followed -- and have been using Sherwood sticks ever since.

Comment

Started skating at 2 and playing about 5 so thats a good over 2 decades of experience. Played at a pretty high level until I started getting hurt too much around ~ 17 and the wheels fell off, no fun when you blow out a knee, rehab, come back to go to some showcases, then blow out your other knee. Kept playing but now just got hurt again this summer so it might be time to hang up the skates at 26.

Comment

I play...some as a kid... never in high school or anything like that (chose other sports).... nowdays pretty much just play pick up once or twice a month.

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          I'm bumping this thread to get some advice from the collective here...

One of my friends here in Chicago and myself got to talking, and we basically both decided that we wanted to give this silly game a shot... We figured that we would start out playing Rat Hockey for now and then if we ever got halfway decent, we could join a league or something... We both know how to skate at a medium level, but aren't fast or elegant, lol... He has never really played on ice before, and I only have a bit of pond hockey experience, so we're both pretty new to stick handling and other basic skills...

Is this a good way to start learning how to play, or are we better off trying to find a "Beginner/Never ever" type of league for the spring season (not sure if they even exist around the Chicago area)... I don't want to start showing up at drop in and realize that we're in over our heads... I would imagine that each rink probably has their own group of regulars for Rat Hockey, so I'd imagine it's a good thing to check out different rinks for different skill levels?

Also, would anyone have any suggestions on finding good deals on gear... I'm thinking PLAY-IT-AGAIN Sports would be a decent place to start...

Thanks
          Hmmm... I think the Beginner league is a good option... and also agree with some earlier comments about not writing off the drop in / pick up option... espicially if it is a group renting out ice time for pick up... I'm not sure I know of a pick up group that I've played with that is not looking for some stand-bys to play (every group needs enough bodies to pay for the ice). Then just feel out the group... I've jumped in with pick up groups that are pretty intense, but have also jumped in with groups that to some extent have a "let the novice guy take a shot" type of attitude.

Just don't hack anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post

Also, speaking of sticks, what kind of curves does everyone use?
            i use a nike bauer supreme one95 pro-stock shaft 102 Flex with an easton stealth s15 blade. blade pattern is an iginla (mid curve, rounded off square toe, 5.5 lie)...

Comment

as for me, i began playing when i was four years old and continue to play now, some 29 years later... scary to think... played my freshman year of college then gave it up because my academics were suffering (practices were early am)...

Comment

Learned how to skate at age 35 when a 'beginner' senior league (NNHA) came to Boston in 1984. Played in the NNHA then the NESL over a 15 year period. Played in the USCHO game at the Frozen Four for a few years. I'm currently retired from competitive play.

Became a USAHockey official 15 years ago.
                Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

I play goal in a Women's League here in MI - Lots of fun and it sure makes with Winter go fast...our team only has 2 losses & I've had a few shutouts so far this season. I always wanted to play but Hockey wasn't available to girls when I was growing up so now I'm livin' the dream

And my 43 year old bones are payin' the toll

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                    Agreed. The easiest way to get better is to play with and against better skilled players. You'll have a ton of fun.

You may also want to consider some skills clinics if they're available, especially for skating. You'll pick up stickhandling as you play.
                    Just make sure though you aren't joining a league that isn't well above your skill level or everyone will be frustrated. I organize a beer league group of moderate talent to a few skilled players (one former college and some former HS). There is one guy who started a couple years ago who can barely stand up and practically falls over if he plays the puck. He always wears the same color as me and half the time he goes to a D position (I think he believes you don't have to be able to skate much there) and I end up relieving him because he is completely worthless at the position so end up playing D for most of the game. (I mean he literally just stands in one place most of the time, at one of the blue lines.) It is like playing shorthanded the whole time. (For some reason, all three of the least talented players all wear the same color, so sometimes you have three forwards to pass to, all of which have about a 5% chance of actually catching and holding onto a pass.) The problem is, the guy is a father of a friend of my kid, and he just shows up each year, without being invited, so I don't feel I can tell him not to show up. He is a decent guy, just sucks at hockey. He touches the puck for a total of about 3 seconds a game and hardly skates, and apparently never practices on his own so he hasn't improved at all. (Half the guys will pass to him once in awhile out of pity, but I know with another group I play with, he wouldn't see a pass after the first time he lost a pass.) I don't know what to do, but it definitely takes away from the quality of my experience when I am already frustrated when even a few guys who can skate are clueless what to do as far as positioning and when to pass. (There are a number of guys who get the puck in their own end and just put there head down and skate to the other end and shoot, no matter how open a teammate might be in front of the net. (Reading this over, I am sure some will think, "this guy writing this is a *****, let the guy play". But I pay a fair amount of money to play and put in a fair number of hours so would like to have competitive games. And, No, I am not the only one with these frustrations. So I'll just leave it. After all, If I were really a *****, I would have told him to quit.)

Well I wish I could say that getting that off my chest helped, but it really didn't.
                    Last edited by Koho; 11-24-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                      Yes. Very poorly but I did get to wear a Pro-Tec & Cooperalls in HS. You know you're jealous.
                      I got to wear Cooperalls for a couple years too!

Not playing anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Just make sure though you aren't joining a league that isn't well above your skill level or everyone will be frustrated...
                        Joining a league well below your skill level should also be avoided. When one or two players can effortlessly smoke the rest of the group, that can be equally frustrating for all concerned.

... I don't know what to do, but it definitely takes away from the quality of my experience when I am already frustrated when even a few guys who can skate are clueless what to do as far as positioning and when to pass. There are a number of guys who get the puck in their own end and just put there head down and skate to the other end and shoot, no matter how open a teammate might be in front of the net. (Reading this over, I am sure some will think, "this guy writing this is a *****, let the guy play". But I pay a fair amount of money to play and put in a fair number of hours so would like to have competitive games. And, No, I am not the only one with these frustrations. So I'll just leave it. After all, If I were really a *****, I would have told him to quit.)
                        Your sentiments are more than understandable. I would add two short thoughts:

1. If someone tries out your group and it's simply a mismatch, make the best of it for that session. There's no reason for anyone to feel bad. I say when in doubt, try it out -- and just accept that mistakes happen. But if the mismatched player keeps coming week after week, then something really needs to be said -- for all the reasons listed in your full post. Admittedly you're in an awkward position here. But that just means one of your teammates needs to step up and handle this one.

2. Newbies do have a responsibility to make sure that they minimally fit in before joining a weekly group. Don't wait for someone to speak up. Be realistic. If you're in way over your head, find another group. If the other players are so crappy you're bored, find another group.

Obviously none of this applies to one time or once a year social event like the Posters' Game. In that case, all ability levels are welcome...
                        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-29-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Joining a league well below your skill level should also be avoided. When one or two players can effortlessly smoke the rest of the group, that can be equally frustrating for all concerned.

Your sentiments are more than understandable. I would add two short thoughts:

1. If someone tries out your group and it's simply a mismatch, make the best of it for that session. There's no reason for anyone to feel bad. I say when in doubt, try it out -- and just accept that mistakes happen. But if the mismatched player keeps coming week after week, then something really needs to be said -- for all the reasons listed in your full post. Admittedly you're in an awkward position here. But that just means one of your teammates needs to step up and handle this one.

2. Newbies do have a responsibility to make sure that they minimally fit in before joining a weekly group. Don't wait for someone to speak up. Be realistic. If you're in way over your head, find another group. If the other players are so crappy you're bored, find another group.
                          In addition to these points, maybe offer an alternative option for this guy to play as well... Tell him that it looks like he's struggling and not having as much fun as he could have... Maybe offer a clinic or learn to play class as well if you know of any?

I wonder if this might be the only free time they guy can dedicate to hockey and that is why he keeps hanging with your group
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            It's much easier for a good skater to play it down a few notches than it is for a bad skater to fit in with a group well above their skill level. I skate with a pick up group a few times a month, and it can get frustrating when you get a few ankle benders out there.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyBum View Post
                              It's much easier for a good skater to play it down a few notches than it is for a bad skater to fit in with a group well above their skill level. I skate with a pick up group a few times a month, and it can get frustrating when you get a few ankle benders out there.
                              While clearly correct, it's a little more complicated than that.

For it to work, the "good skater" has to be willing to play down. As someone who ran a drop-in hockey group for many years, I can assure you that's not always the case. The all-too-common scenario: A couple of strong players show up. They're teammates, probably wearing their team's practice jerseys. Naturally they've "forgotten" to bring the alternate color, and fiercely resist any suggestion they play on opposite teams. Once play starts, they'll pass the puck only to each other. Then, half way through the session, they leave -- PO'd at the poor level of competition. They've basically ruined the session for everyone else, and couldn't care less.

Conversely, I've seen strong players handle the situation very well. On offense, they'll concentrate on playmaking, widely distributing the puck. On defense, they'll play decent positional hockey, but avoid shifting into high gear. They'll still have some fun. But the point is that they're committed to making the session fun for the whole group.

Obviously it's the second scenario you have in mind. While the good result is certainly achievable, it's not a gimme.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                In addition to these points, maybe offer an alternative option for this guy to play as well... Tell him that it looks like he's struggling and not having as much fun as he could have... Maybe offer a clinic or learn to play class as well if you know of any?
                                Good point. A nudge in the right direction is likely to be the best option.

I wonder if this might be the only free time they guy can dedicate to hockey and that is why he keeps hanging with your group
                                That's certainly possible.

It also sounds like he's more comfortable playing with people he already knows, as opposed to going off on his own. Which is, of course, understandable.

I do hope that no one gets the wrong idea from this part of the conversation. Most recreational hockey groups and leagues include a fairly wide range of abilities, and everyone gets along just fine. It's the hopeless mismatches that should be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                                X