Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
    Please, just don't do that. If you want good advice, sack up and pay a little extra for the service. If you're gonna go buy elsewhere, don't go back looking for help with the stuff you bought elsewhere. It's poor etiquette and just plain rude to the shop and salesperson.
    As a poor college student, usually I end up doing research at a hockey store and then price check online. If the difference is negligible, I'll buy at the store, but if I can save a decent amount of money, I'll buy online. But I've always had my skates done at hockey stores and I usually go in once every week or two just to walk around and look at stuff. I do the same thing with my ski stuff. Until I have to money to be able to afford the local markup, I am forced to buy online. But I will always have any service (always get my skis mounted, waxed and tuned at the local shop) done locally. I figure they'll take some business over no business.
    Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
      As a poor college student, usually I end up doing research at a hockey store and then price check online. If the difference is negligible, I'll buy at the store, but if I can save a decent amount of money, I'll buy online. But I've always had my skates done at hockey stores and I usually go in once every week or two just to walk around and look at stuff. I do the same thing with my ski stuff. Until I have to money to be able to afford the local markup, I am forced to buy online. But I will always have any service (always get my skis mounted, waxed and tuned at the local shop) done locally. I figure they'll take some business over no business.
      I understand your dilemma, and saving a few bucks here and there is important. But you also need to understand that you are directly contributing to local stores like that going out of business, and sales staff making bare bones paychecks. If you value the service, save your pennies until you can afford a little extra to buy there. Some business is better than no business, but good service is hard to find and should be rewarded. If it's not, you'll soon find no service, and no option but to read opinions from Joe Bob online before you buy from hockeymonkeygiantdiscountworld.com

Comment

I understand your dilemma, and saving a few bucks here and there is important. But you also need to understand that you are directly contributing to local stores like that going out of business, and sales staff making bare bones paychecks. If you value the service, save your pennies until you can afford a little extra to buy there. Some business is better than no business, but good service is hard to find and should be rewarded. If it's not, you'll soon find no service, and no option but to read opinions from Joe Bob online before you buy from hockeymonkeygiantdiscountworld.com
        actually, craigslist is the place to get anything these days. Screw the middle man, criagslist is as close to old world trading as we have in the 21st century. With income how it is for many unemployed folks, why pay a middle man when you can just buy directly?

Aside from kids who aspire to play juniors, the best thing people like us can do is just practice. There are a ton of free ways to learn how to train, stick handle , skate and play the game. Heck, even Gretzky would watch the NHL and record where the players were going when goals were scored. I picked up a ton of great workouts from random plugs on youtube which I incorporate into my crossfit routines. Not to mention the dryland skills I posted about earlier on the USCHO fitness thread ; those things have done wonders for my stick handling skills - all free resources.
        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Please, just don't do that. If you want good advice, sack up and pay a little extra for the service. If you're gonna go buy elsewhere, don't go back looking for help with the stuff you bought elsewhere. It's poor etiquette and just plain rude to the shop and salesperson.
          Agreed. I'll usually check online prices ahead of my visit to the local guy, and they're pretty good about flexing a little if you let them know there's a much better deal out there, but most of the time I can get some help on sizing, features, etc. get the item today, return it if it doesn't work out (as long as it doesn't have ball sweat on it yet), etc. for pretty close to the online price + shipping. The service is worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
            actually, craigslist is the place to get anything these days. Screw the middle man, criagslist is as close to old world trading as we have in the 21st century. With income how it is for many unemployed folks, why pay a middle man when you can just buy directly?
            Hey, I think that's a great idea, as long as you know what you're looking for. Now if you're going into a local store for advice, getting some good service, then turning around and looking for a better deal on what they recommended, I call BS.

Comment

Hey, I think that's a great idea, as long as you know what you're looking for. Now if you're going into a local store for advice, getting some good service, then turning around and looking for a better deal on what they recommended, I call BS.
              I used to do philbricks in Dover NH when they had their 100% rebate in the spring. Can get yourself a top shelf pair of mitts, than go back a week later and pick up a nice helmet to boot. ah the memories!

I kind of agree now that you mention it. Last year I decided to upgrade to the vapors, and some kid really went out of his way to help me out. I don't mind paying a little commission to help a high school kid get a few extra bucks for himself. for other stuff though, like a new twig, I can see going into the store and than making the purchase online if its cheaper - especially if you pick it up on craigslist.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

After a weekend of searching for gear, I finally got setup, and am ready to rock out.... My buddy is almost there... He's taking his time cause he wants to get some more skating/stick handling practice in before playing...

Thanks to everyone who replied in the thread... The posts were a great asset... Some thoughts on the weekend:

- PGB, thanks a ton for suggesting GUNZO's... I didn't make it into one of their main stores, but instead went to a satellite store located in a local rink... Despite there being a youth tournament going on at the time, one of the guys behind the counter was more than willing to come out, and talk with us for quite some time on getting setup on... He thoroughly explained the equipment, how it fits, and made several suggestions about what to get... He also realized that we weren't going to be playing at an elite level, and didn't try and sell us the latest and greatest... He even suggested going to a local Play-It-Again for shoulder pads and pants because he knew that they had some decent ones in stock there (which I ended up buying)... Ended up picking up Shin Guards, Elbow Pads, Socks, some accessories, and a 10 sharpening card from there.... I'll definitely be going back there for small things like tape, skate maintenance and for any future upgrades...

- Along with the good, I also had some bad experiences... My buddy is looking to upgrade his skates, so he started poking around, seeing what's out there... At one shop, the kid was clueless about the skates... He didn't even know how the RBK pumps worked After looking at the skate for 10 seconds, even I could tell that the pump added a custom ankle pad... Needless to say we walked out of that place ASAP...

We also had a problem in one shop with "eliteism"... My buddy has decided to go with a pair of Bauer X20's... They are on the cheaper end of the spectrum, but better than what he would find at a Sports Authority or some other big box store... We would have gotten them at Gunzo's but he needs an EE width skate, but they didn't have them in stock and couldn't get more till around Turkey Day... So we went into the one shop and mentioned what we wanted... We were told "We don't sell a model like that in this shop. That is more of a mass-sale item you find at MC Sports... I don't sell low end junk like that here..." He then tried to sell a pair of Bauer X40's to us, even though my friend mentioned that they were nearly double his budget... The salesmen continued the hard sell, saying that we needed the good gear and whatnot... I don't think we'll be heading back to that shop anytime soon...

So yea, thanks again for all the suggestions... Now all I need to do is get out and start playing
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  - PGB, thanks a ton for suggesting GUNZO's... I didn't make it into one of their main stores, but instead went to a satellite store located in a local rink... Despite there being a youth tournament going on at the time, one of the guys behind the counter was more than willing to come out, and talk with us for quite some time on getting setup on... He thoroughly explained the equipment, how it fits, and made several suggestions about what to get...
                  I'm glad it worked out so well.

Years ago Gunzo's did the embroidery for the Blackhawks uniforms. So when you were at the Stadium, you saw some of their work in action. I have no idea if they still have that account. But if anything, it sounds like they've gotten bigger and better in recent years. Again, glad to hear it.

Comment

I played from 2nd through 9th grades. I was a perennial C-league player. That ended back in the 91-92 season.

I've been playing pickup for just shy of 4 years now. During that time I've also played the last three summers up at the Super Rink in Blaine. I'm coming to the end of my first fall session up there with a team that has a lot of posters over at gopherpucklive, and a few post here too.
                    Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                    I played consistently from 3 until I started undergrad (Michigan cut IM hockey the year I started college), did drop-in a few times junior year (second time I did drop-in after not playing for two years involved Ian Cole, Eric Ehn, Teddy Ruth, and a few people from the US-under 18 team...not the best thing for one's confidence), and found a men's league team senior year. Now I'm in grad school in Minneapolis, and hopefully I can find somewhere to play drop-in/pond hockey (IM teams filled up before I got around to registering).
                    I repped you a site with which I play. I then proceeded to fat-finger some stuff after the address, which is why I'm replying here. Stop by the site, look at the rules, and if you're interested, feel free to contact the guys running it. We have everything from people just learning to a few guys who played juniors, and the occasional former DIII player. Just don't be a dick on the ice and things will go well. We're not a competition oriented group, and depending upon who's signed up, it could be either very fast or very slow that week.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I doubt it counts, but played boot-hockey for about 10 years. Goalie/Defense.

Gimme a break, the concept is the same.
                    No, it's not. At all. Outside of playing goalie, it's not even within the realm of being the same. Even that's very different.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I played from age 3 or 4 to about age 17. Took about a 4-5 year hiatus, and played the occasional pick-up and intramural my last year in college. Took another 5 year hiatus when I entered the working world, and then started playing in an adult hockey league in my late 20's. I've been playing in that league for about 5-6 years now and will continue to play until my knee completely gives out.

I currently play on the same league team as St. Clown, and also an informal club team (pick-up hockey) a few times a month.

Hopefully I can finally play in a posters game at the 2011 FF in St. Paul.
                      Last edited by HockeyBum; 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I've been looking at sticks today and I stumbled across this awesome tool: http://www.playersbench.com/bladeComp.ihtml

Also, speaking of sticks, what kind of curves does everyone use?
                        Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

I've been looking at sticks today
                          TMI.

That's personal.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I've been looking at sticks today and I stumbled across this awesome tool: http://www.playersbench.com/bladeComp.ihtml

Vapor XXV PM9

I like a stiff stick. This one has a rating of flex 102.

I'd like to find a curve that's less open, a little shallower, attached to a stick that has a stiff rating. I have yet to find anything that fits the bill.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I use a stick that doesn't have much of a curve, because I like being able to put a lot on the backhander.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                                Attempted to walk on to UND in 2002...practice squad for a few weeks, then told not good enough.
                                Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                                Possibly because you aren't Canadian?
                                And was under 25...

Comment

Working...
                                X