Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
    edit: did not see that you moved away from VA. I recently moved here and can't really find any close hockey. Might have to suck it up and drive to roanoke to do stick and puck once a week. Unfortunately, once a week is barely maintenance let alone actually improving.
    Yeah, really couldn't tell you anything, I never got around to trying to play at all when I was home so I couldn't really say what's in the area.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I'll challenge anyone in broomball!

Hockey...havent played since I was 6. I played with 9 and 10 yearolds and held my own speed wise. Never got to play a game. Got really sick the night before the first game and was hospitalized for 10 days with Juvenille Rheumatoid arthritis.

Never touched the ice again until last year when I tried to learn how to skate again. Did decently but fell my fair share as well. I've been doing a lot more roller blading instead.

Parents never let me play or get into hockey again after i missed that first season. Pretty disappointing now that I look back on it because I feel like I could have been decent given how much I watched the game and obssessed over it when I was young. Not guaranteeing any D-I scholarships but with how much I liked it I have a feeling I would have worked at it enough to make myself a semi decent player for my age. But ya never know...All i can now is wonder.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Played from 5 years of age through sophmore year, only house leagues though. Have thoughts about pulling the gear out every once in a while, but haven't had a chance to since I started school in NYC. I just referee during the winters now and picked up broomball a few years ago, luckilly there is a league in NYC to continue playing at too.

Comment

Played the game since I was 5 years old...never really stopped. Attempted to walk on to UND in 2002...practice squad for a few weeks, then told not good enough. Played intramurals at UND and still play drop in every now and then at DU.

I will not be playing in the posters game this year; I'm saving up my talent for 2011 in Minny.
          Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
            then told not good enough
            Possibly because you aren't Canadian?
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
            Northeast Regional:
            West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I play, started seriously late in high school. I started playing goalie about four years ago, which I do mostly exclusively now. I also have my Level 3 Coaching Certification.
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I coach 2-3 nights a week, and play in a very casual, low-skill league once a week.

I think co-ed, no-check/no-slap should be mandatory for all screeching hockey parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Markt View Post
                  I think co-ed, no-check/no-slap should be mandatory for all screeching hockey parents.
                  Amen brother!!!!!
                  Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Markt View Post
                    I coach 2-3 nights a week, and play in a very casual, low-skill league once a week.

I have coached and would prefer the full contact puck in the store version for some parents.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I played High School hockey growing up in New England. RW and Center. Back then the school couldn't afford practice ice except once per week, so we practiced on a local pond.
                      After not making the Tech team as a walk-on I played intramural for 4 years and our team was pretty good. As I remember there were over 100 IM teams.

Once I started working for a living I played less and less. Especially because I lived in the south. Would like to start back up at some point, but can't really afford dental work.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Started playing when I was 6 and living in Madison. Played all through high school and then in the ACHA. Still skate twice a week in a beer league. Having hockey in Oklahoma keeps me sane living here.

Comment

I doubt it counts, but played boot-hockey for about 10 years. Goalie/Defense.

Gimme a break, the concept is the same.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            played boot-hockey for about 10 years. Goalie/Defense.
                            Sieve!!!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Figure skating only. Could jump and spin. I was going to be the next Peggy Flemming or Janet Lynne. (Gimme a break- when I was a kid girls weren't allowed to play hockey where I lived)

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Figure skating only. Could jump and spin. I was going to be the next Peggy Flemming or Janet Lynne. (Gimme a break- when I was a kid girls weren't allowed to play hockey where I lived)
                                Pffffft. 1:06 of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Qg14HMP-4

Comment

Working...
                                X