Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I know that up until a few years ago you could still find Sher-Wood PMPs in stores. They might still make them, but my local hockey shop doesn't carry them. I've never searched for them online.
    I can still find them in Fargo/Moorhead. I still have a couple at home that have yet been used. When I find them I usually get 3-4 of them.
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      Here you go boys

http://www.prohockeylife.com/wood-ho...icks-c-2_17_69

As for the bag, I'm so old I remember being able to put everything into an army duffle bag!
      Oh yeah the old army duffle bag. Everyone had one of those back in my day. More than once I would grab the wrong bag since they all looked alike.
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Played in my usual pickup game last night except for one thing - a Brrrmidgi State U women's player was on the ice last night. Women's hockey players have come a long, long way in the last few years. Wow. The guys playing in this game are not the greatest players by any stretch of the imagination, but we have a few guys who are pretty good. She absolutely made us all look foolish out there and she didn't even play hard. Except for one play, where she came in with the puck, split the D, did this spin move and clanked it off the post. I'm glad I wasn't on the ice for that and just got to watch it.

The reason this made such an impression on me is that for a number of years, we used to play with a woman who was a center for UMD's team back when they were putting together championships some 15 years ago, she stopped playing with us when she started having babies. While she was great using her stick and knew positioning as well as anyone she was at best an average skater for speed, and she was by far the best women who would play with us. Now, she can't even hold a candle to this young lady played with us a last night. She was really something.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I had to return my backpack-y bag because it didn't fit my gear. Oh well. New helmet is next on the list, since mine is pretty old and probably not all that safe (although it's a little late for that now, since I already have a concussion ) Is a $200+ helmet really necessary for non-check hockey?

I know that up until a few years ago you could still find Sher-Wood PMPs in stores. They might still make them, but my local hockey shop doesn't carry them. I've never searched for them online.
          I have one in my garage. I don't even think it's broken...

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
          I've been using a $40 Fury shaft for the past six years. Gone through a few blades but that's about it. I don't even know what flex the thing is...I just know I like it's length and feel and from there I just use it to put the puck where and how I would like it to go.
          Can you still buy two-piece sticks? Our local store doesn't have them anymore (although they do have blades). I liked mine a lot, but then snapped the shaft on it and couldn't find anywhere to get a new one.

Played in my usual pickup game last night except for one thing - a Brrrmidgi State U women's player was on the ice last night. Women's hockey players have come a long, long way in the last few years. Wow. The guys playing in this game are not the greatest players by any stretch of the imagination, but we have a few guys who are pretty good. She absolutely made us all look foolish out there and she didn't even play hard. Except for one play, where she came in with the puck, split the D, did this spin move and clanked it off the post. I'm glad I wasn't on the ice for that and just got to watch it.

The reason this made such an impression on me is that for a number of years, we used to play with a woman who was a center for UMD's team back when they were putting together championships some 15 years ago, she stopped playing with us when she started having babies. While she was great using her stick and knew positioning as well as anyone she was at best an average skater for speed, and she was by far the best women who would play with us. Now, she can't even hold a candle to this young lady played with us a last night. She was really something.
          It is amazing the number of opportunities there are for girls to start playing hockey now. I'm about 15 years too old to have enjoyed it (and from the wrong area - boys did not even play hockey in my hometown - if they did, they had to play outside because there wasn't a rink).
          Last edited by jen; 04-08-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            I had to return my backpack-y bag because it didn't fit my gear. Oh well. New helmet is next on the list, since mine is pretty old and probably not all that safe (although it's a little late for that now, since I already have a concussion ) Is a $200+ helmet really necessary for non-check hockey?
            A $200 helmet? Did King Midas start selling them?

I have a Cascade M11 helmet (AKA the Mark Messier helmet). It was about $100 three years ago (hockey monkey or hockey giant, I forget which) and is easily the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. It's light weight, breathes well, and is designed for better concussion protection. At the time I bought it, it was rated the best for that very reason. I don't know if anything newer has come to market since then. It's great for sizing, too, because it has a sliding adjustment that you can operate with your fingers and stays secure until you change it manually. I don't normally advocate a specific product because everybody likes something different, but this is one I fully support.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

A $200 helmet? Did King Midas start selling them?

I have a Cascade M11 helmet (AKA the Mark Messier helmet). It was about $100 three years ago (hockey monkey or hockey giant, I forget which) and is easily the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. It's light weight, breathes well, and is designed for better concussion protection. At the time I bought it, it was rated the best for that very reason. I don't know if anything newer has come to market since then. It's great for sizing, too, because it has a sliding adjustment that you can operate with your fingers and stays secure until you change it manually. I don't normally advocate a specific product because everybody likes something different, but this is one I fully support.
              HockeyGiant has one that's $300 and several around $200.

Comment

There is a lot of commotion right now about helmets since ESPN made this report on the Virginia Tech study just released last week:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ds-many-unsafe

I'm still enjoying my Easton S19 although ventilation could be a little better. As always the best advice= get the helmet that fits the best.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  There is a lot of commotion right now about helmets since ESPN made this report on the Virginia Tech study just released last week:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ds-many-unsafe

I'm still enjoying my Easton S19 although ventilation could be a little better. As always the best advice= get the helmet that fits the best.
                  After the last week of "cognitive rest", I'd pay $1000 minimum for a helmet that prevented concussions.

Comment

went with the Bauer 5100, since I have a Bauer now and am familiar with the fit (it got 2 stars in the VT study). The only 3 star helmet - Warrior Krown 360 - is almost impossible to find in anything but small and a few mediums. Since I can't try it on, I stuck with the known commodity.

Comment

Got crossed checked in a board battle under my arm (in the side) on my ribs last night. A bit tender today...

Helmets...

My kid has a $360 something or other, I still have the $36 CCM one that I bought 15-20 years ago. Only 1 concussion (and a reoccurrence coz I went back on the ice too soon) since.

But like everything else, his (the boy's) hockey equipment is high end and mine is garage sale level. In fact, I've scored more that a few pairs of hardly used (or never used) gloves at garage sales over the years.

Used to find sticks too, but I've become a bit of a stick snob since I actually tried a high end stick (my kid's nxg) a few years back. They really do make a huge difference.

Comment

I've never bought any gear from a garage sale, but I never buy top end equipment either. I'm playing old man hockey, strictly pickup hockey. I see these guys come into the rink who play in the D-level Adult Hockey Association (AHA, for the locals) who talk about their gear like it's some great item to be cherished. Then I watch them on the ice bending ankles and I have to laugh. I'm not very good, and I know it, so I'm not spending money on top end gear. I'll buy the stuff that was top end from a year or two ago and pay 30% of its original price, and then I'll use it for years.

In fact, I pretty much came to the conclusion that the worse the gear, the better the player. These older guys come in with shin pads that still have felt lining (or whatever that stuff is), and you can see that they know what to do on the ice. Meanwhile the ankle benders come in with their shiny gear marketed to the parents whose kids are going to be The Next Gretzky, like adult pickup hockey is going to be some Federal League goon fest.

Comment

My skating career was ended a while back, by of all things, an optometrist. My right eye is very egg shaped and they're worried one good bounce of my head (bucket on or not) could trigger a detached retina.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            My skating career was ended a while back, by of all things, an optometrist. My right eye is very egg shaped and they're worried one good bounce of my head (bucket on or not) could trigger a detached retina.
                            Detached Retina is serious business. I know someone who was diagnosed with that. Surgery was scheduled immediately for the next morning. They do a ton of those surgeries every year. About 10% he said go south and you have to have the surgery again. Doesn't work out you're blind in that eye.

This particular case was someone who had just had the cataract surgery. Seems it's common for those having one eye surgery to have the detached retina at some point.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

In fact, I pretty much came to the conclusion that the worse the gear, the better the player. These older guys come in with shin pads that still have felt lining (or whatever that stuff is), and you can see that they know what to do on the ice. Meanwhile the ankle benders come in with their shiny gear marketed to the parents whose kids are going to be The Next Gretzky, like adult pickup hockey is going to be some Federal League goon fest.
                              It's easy to predict in the locker room who the worst players will be. They're usually the ones with all matching gear. If you've played hockey for a long time, you will be wearing gear that has been replaced piecemeal through the years.

Comment

I've never bought any gear from a garage sale, but I never buy top end equipment either. I'm playing old man hockey, strictly pickup hockey. I see these guys come into the rink who play in the D-level Adult Hockey Association (AHA, for the locals) who talk about their gear like it's some great item to be cherished. Then I watch them on the ice bending ankles and I have to laugh. I'm not very good, and I know it, so I'm not spending money on top end gear. I'll buy the stuff that was top end from a year or two ago and pay 30% of its original price, and then I'll use it for years.

Rule #1 of hockey: the guy in sweatpants is the ringer.

Comment

Working...
                                X