Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Out on the pond I like wind pants over the shin pads. I have a pair of lined nylon wind pants with zips on the legs that make it easy to put the shin guards on. I have a pullover wind shirt kind of thing and then the layers under depend on the temp. I like under-armor type shirts (the cheap Target brand are just fine).

I learned the value of the shin guards early on with the mites. Getting your shins whacked by errant sticks is no fun.
    aren't you too old to be playing hockey?
    (Personally, I don't think ANYONE is too old for such an amazing sport.)

When I play outdoors, as long as it's warm enough, windpants, I have old warm up suits and what not I wear, but it's basically all for comfort. I like throwing on a jersey over an under armour or sweatshirt depending on the weather, etc.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      aren't you too old to be playing hockey?
      Yes, yes I am.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        Thanks very much, fellas. Obviously nothing beats getting out there and learning the hard way but I really appreciate the tips.

goldy: I cracked up when you mentioned getting whacked by the mites. At my son's 1st mite practice this year (Edgcumbe rec team) one coach took an errant stick right across the bridge of his nose. Split it quite nicely! (Got a band-aid over it and was back on the ice in about three minutes.)
        Last edited by DaveStPaul; 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM.
        Bugs Bunny - 96
        Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Play in two leagues, DI and an over 30 here in Portland. Tonight my DI team took down a team that features the following guys on their roster:

Doug Friedman - BU
          Pete Metcalf - Maine
          Matt Libby - Providence
          Eric Turgeon - Maine
          Chris Ladner - Colgate
          John Laliberte - BU

of course, we caught a break in that Trevor Roenick (Maine) and Jeff Libby (Maine) were not around... they've also got a couple of other guys on the roster that played either in Europe or in the ECHL as well...

it doesn't hurt that their goalie is terrible...

Comment

So DI, that's like an A league here in MN, a top league? If not, there might be a ringer team in your midst.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              So DI, that's like an A league here in MN, a top league? If not, there might be a ringer team in your midst.
              yeah. for whatever reason they went away from A, B, C etc. They run 3 divisions with 1 being a place for former pro/college/high level former high school level, 2 being a little more geared towards former high school players, and 3 being straight rec league. they also have an over 30 and an over 40 league...

most teams in DI (A) have a couple of former college guys on it. my team has three kids that played NCAA DII hockey out east, but other than that, we are a bunch of former all-state caliber high school heroes.
              Last edited by gscott13; 11-20-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                yeah. for whatever reason they went away from A, B, C etc. They run 3 divisions with 1 being a place for former pro/college/high level former high school level, 2 being a little more geared towards former high school players, and 3 being straight rec league. they also have an over 30 and an over 40 league...

most teams in DI (A) have a couple of former college guys on it. my team has three kids that played NCAA DII hockey out east, but other than that, we are a bunch of former all-state caliber high school heroes.
                Are we talking out east all state or Minnesota style all state..there's a clear difference..
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Just getting home from the final game of the regular season for Fall League. The Rubes lost 3-5, but we were pressuring, getting our chances towards the end of the game. Well, it's what turned out to be towards the end of the game. See, our game ended six minutes early because our goalie was ejected for excessive retaliation. Some bad blood was drawn tonight.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Like many, I stopped playing men's league around age 27 or so. 42 now. Just couldn't deal with the d-bags out there any more.

I play hard and I compete and work my butt off, but I just don't have the **** and vinegar anymore to be in all the BS scrums that happen. I enjoyed that crap on some level when I was younger and I was ALWAYS right in the middle of it. I don't (didn't) want to be that guy anymore, so I retired.

Now I play in a couple of relatively high level groups of mostly like-minded individuals. It's a fun group as we've got people from all over the upper mid-west. Wisconsinites, a bunch of Minnesotans, a few from Michigan, a couple from North Dakota and even a sprinkling of Canadians and even a couple of Russians. From guys who played high school to a few who played junior and D-3. Play games to 5 and then the goalies switch ends. Then we drink beers although not as much as 10 years ago.

Twice a week, year round. Hope to do it well into my 50s as the body still works fine although I'll probably have to move to an old man group at some point. Can still keep up with the younglings who play with us, but gets more challenging by the year.

One thought to end with which may be true for many of us...

I'm not as good as I was 5 years ago and I'm getting slightly worse with each passing day. Getting old(er) is an interesting journey. Can't wait for incontinence!

Comment

Still waiting for win #1 on the season. Yeah, we're awesome (the level above us doesn't have enough teams, so we cross-schedule with their division, and all our games against them were first half of the season - which was actually nice to get out of the way, but not so great for confidence - especially given that we moved up a level from last year, so our games against them were theoretically TWO levels up).

I sort of miss playing on a co-ed team..... but not enough to go back to the same league. I need to find a sucky team to play on, but it's hard to find a new group of guys when most of the guys I've played with are still on my old team, and most of the girls I know don't play co-ed (especially during winter). I don't want to join a team of randoms and end up playing with a bunch of *******s.

Comment

My league's fall session ended for us this past Wednesday as we were bounced in the first round of the playoffs. We took the Neanderthals (pretty fast team) to a shoot out, which comes after OT in our league, and OT/shoot outs are only during the post season. Final score of the game was 3-2.

I'm looking forward to winter session, which begins the second week of January. Until then there's pick up hockey.

Comment

Fellow hockey players/ankle benders... does anyone have recommendations for composite hockey sticks (preferrably under $70-$80... if that's doable)? I usually play goalie, but I like to skate out from time to time to mix things up. I've always used cheap wood sticks when I skate out, but the prices on some composites seem to have dropped to levels where I may be able to justify buying one. I broke my favorite stick last time out, so I need to replace it.

What kind of sticks do you guys use? Have you had good luck with what you have? My backhand shot is important to me, so I'm looking for something with a shallower curve. Any reviews/recommendations would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyBum View Post
                            Fellow hockey players/ankle benders... does anyone have recommendations for composite hockey sticks (preferrably under $70-$80... if that's doable)? I usually play goalie, but I like to skate out from time to time to mix things up. I've always used cheap wood sticks when I skate out, but the prices on some composites seem to have dropped to levels where I may be able to justify buying one. I broke my favorite stick last time out, so I need to replace it.

What kind of sticks do you guys use? Have you had good luck with what you have? My backhand shot is important to me, so I'm looking for something with a shallower curve. Any reviews/recommendations would be welcome.
                            I think you can get the cheapest composites for down around 40-50 bucks on hockeymonkey/hockeygiant/insert other hockey equipment site here now.

I just use some old composites I still have from when I played before college right now. Using a Mission M-1 for now until it breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyBum View Post

Check out this link: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...15-s10-sr.html. It's the x:15, which they have available some left handed sticks still. This is last year's model, and a good entry stick for composites. It's what pjoyn uses (used?).

For Bauer sticks, the PM9 blade should be what you want. There's a blade pattern chart, which is of middling help, if you'd like to compare. The PM9, I've found, it's done well for me.

I've found that the close to the toe the curve, the more it's designed for lifting the puck, and the more open the blade pattern, the same. Another thing to watch is the lie of the blade; the larger the number, the more the stick is designed for a taller person. That's why I don't recommend the P88 blade pattern for you.

Comment

I have never hurt my back. Ever. Never once had a problem with it. So when do I decide to injure it? Sometime between when I left my house on Thursday, and when I got to my friend's to carpool to Eagle River for pond hockey. I'd have rather missed my regular team's playoff weekend than pond hockey. S-u-c-k-e-d. I went anyway, just in case I made a miraculous recovery overnight (I didn't), and had a blast, so I am already counting down the days til next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X