Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

Originally posted by jen View Post
    thread resurrection. has anyone else tried Sani Sport? Got it done last week, and have played 2-3 times since then and my equipment STILL smells good (not great, but way better than it did) - other places (or doing it myself) always resulted in nice smelling gear - until I skated in it again, then it was just as bad as before. Definitely recommend it if you can find one near you.
    I took my son's goalie stuff to a shop near a rink we visit. They use an ozone process - not sure if it's Sani Sport or not. I had forgotten that my gloves, skates, and helmet were in his bag (I help coach his team, and we usually just use his big bag for all of our stuff). I spent the whole next practice making people smell my gloves.

$22 for the whole bag - all of his stuff and some of mine.

My regular routine, though, is the water/alcohol mix. I use rubbing alcohol, and put a fan on the stuff right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Markt View Post
      $22 for the whole bag - all of his stuff and some of mine.
      Wow, that's not a bad deal at all.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

boy, does it feel good to be back on the ice regularly. I had about 3 weeks with absolutely no hockey. I'm pretty sure that's the longest I've gone in the last 6-7 years. I noticed a significant lack of unexplained bruises.

btw, the Sani Sport "nice" smell lasted about 3 weeks - then it was back to the stink. I don't think our extremely humid weather over the summer helped.

Comment

I went to HS in Minot ND, and there was no hockey program before I graduated. When I went to UND, I bought a used pair of skates from my suitemate so I could at least learn how to skate with hockey skates. A few months later I was at a fraternity meeting and somebody asked who owned hockey skates, and I foolishly raised my hand. He said, You're on the intramural team.
          We were pretty bad, obviously, but had fun. Most of our members were from western ND so not many skaters. I once played a game with only 6 skaters, including the goalie. Got a little tired. A couple of guys seemed to take penalties just so they could sit down a while.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

My league started up this week. At 33, I'm on the younger end of my team's age spectrum. We played a team consisting of kids all much younger, thinner and faster, smoother skaters than me. The fat guys won 3-1. It's good to have a capable goalie. We may have had 8 minutes TOP.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Our winter league just started up last Friday. JeffJacksonforPresident and I both participate. In fact my team played hers twice already (all teams in the league don't get scheduled until they pay their league fees up front) and we're 2-0! Even got my first goal out of the way in the second game. Much better than a few summers ago. Sitting on the bench I realized my last shift of the season was coming up and I had not scored yet. Told my linemates it was now or never. On the ensuing shift the center dug the puck out of the corner and fed me a perfect pass and with a minute left in the season I got one! Much nicer to get it out of the way early on.

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                We were pretty bad, obviously, but had fun. Most of our members were from western ND so not many skaters. I once played a game with only 6 skaters, including the goalie. Got a little tired. A couple of guys seemed to take penalties just so they could sit down a while.
                I remember playing a summer league in high school where we had 5 guys including the goalie. We ended up doing the same thing, a few penalties and a lot of icings.

Comment

So I hit the ice for the first time in several years tonight, first organized hockey in about 10. Good Lord do I ache.

I'd love to do the club team, but there's just no way. I don't have the ankle strength or the stamina, and everything kind of stems from that. Too focused on staying on my skates to handle the puck.

I loved it, but I gotta skate as much as I can this winter and maybe try again next year.
                  UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

We had another game against a bunch of young ones today. They had a guy who probably didn't leave the ice for the first half-hour of the game, and still skated circles around us. Too bad they only had one other guy who could really play well. This is why we won 5-2 and really just dominated the play tonight. Some kid tried pushing me away from setting up camp in front of their net; I can't tell you how many times that punk crosschecked me tonight. He got off to my side a little when I made a move, and I gave him a nice tap with my left glove, you know, spreading the love. He went down like the class whore on prom night. God bless those whores.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      We had another game against a bunch of young ones today. They had a guy who probably didn't leave the ice for the first half-hour of the game, and still skated circles around us. Too bad they only had one other guy who could really play well. This is why we won 5-2 and really just dominated the play tonight. Some kid tried pushing me away from setting up camp in front of their net; I can't tell you how many times that punk crosschecked me tonight. He got off to my side a little when I made a move, and I gave him a nice tap with my left glove, you know, spreading the love. He went down like the class whore on prom night. God bless those whores.
                      I think you are my age, so you probably know that older guys do the same thing. In general, I get hooked/ tripped up more by older people who can't keep up. The back and forth stuff is okay, but its best to let them go lumberjack and pull of a celly after scoring a mint top cheese gino. at the end of the day, we all love the sport and its all in good fun. Can't let insecure people get to ya.
                      "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

I'm in the market for a new stick... Right now, I'm thinking an Easton SE6 with the Getzlaf blade... They're going for about $70 at Total Hockey right now... Is there anything else from other brands in the $60-70 price range worth taking a look at?

Does anyone other than Easton even make a Getzlaf (Lindstrom) type blade with a heel curve and square blade? I've just always been an Easton guy by default, but honestly don't play at a high enough level where brand would really make a difference... Price and durability are the biggest concerns...
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          I'm in the market for a new stick... Right now, I'm thinking an Easton SE6 with the Getzlaf blade... They're going for about $70 at Total Hockey right now... Is there anything else from other brands in the $60-70 price range worth taking a look at?

Does anyone other than Easton even make a Getzlaf (Lindstrom) type blade with a heel curve and square blade? I've just always been an Easton guy by default, but honestly don't play at a high enough level where brand would really make a difference... Price and durability are the biggest concerns...
                          Go here: Hockey Monkey

They have all the blade patterns described. You can then price the sticks on the site, too. Do yourself a favor, though, and make sure you get a feel for the stick before buying it. Two sticks from two different companies could appear to have all the same specs, but they'll both likely feel very different in your hands.

Comment

As WeAreNDHockey stated, I play, along with Mr. JJfP. Mr. JJfP and WANDH are on the same team. And the only reason you guys beat us is because your team has been playing together for several seasons now. And we have Scotty. And a bunch of new guys who've only played a few months. And you have a better goalie. And you score more goals.

I play in the men's league all year, the women's league during the season and co-ed, which is only during the summer. I suck, but I love playing anyway.
                            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

For all of us "beer leaguers" -- definitely NSFW, but darned funny!
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                This should help you compare curves. I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it should apply for most patterns.
                                Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Working...
                                X