Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who here actually plays hockey?

Originally posted by jen View Post
    More tales from the D league: some guy cross checked me in the face with 4 seconds left in the game (hard enough to knock me down, and right in front of my bench).... then had the nerve to complain to the ref that he called it.
    Are you wearing a cage? If not, that could be fun to explain to the coworkers.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      You know what sucks? Carbon fiber splinters in your hand.

Advice: just toss the stick aside and fix later while playing with your backup stick.
      A year later, this is still good advice.

Nothing new to report, just happy to have been having a good stretch with no injuries.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

More tales from the D league: some guy cross checked me in the face with 4 seconds left in the game (hard enough to knock me down, and right in front of my bench).... then had the nerve to complain to the ref that he called it.
        The same advice as I always gave to my son...

Don't lead with your face.

You're welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Are you wearing a cage? If not, that could be fun to explain to the coworkers.
          yes, I wear a cage. Anyone who doesn't wear a cage in the D league is a moron. Way too many meatheads.

unrelated to head injuries, I got new skates today. My old CCMs were probably 8-9 years old, and the hockey shop finally talked me into it. I went with the new composite Bauer Vapor. Just wore them for the first time and it was a HUGE adjustment. Last time I went from CCM to CCM, so that was barely an adjustment. 1st period = 100% Bambi. I was ready to throw them in the trash. 2nd period = 75% Bambi. By the third period, they were feeling a little better, and I was maybe down to 50% Bambi. Definitely a lot lighter than my old ones, though.

Comment

I have an old pair of CCM Tacks 652. I eventually replaced them with the CCM U+ carbon composite skate. It felt like they halved the weight of their skates. Once I broke them in they felt great. Then they started to breakdown, and I only got maybe three years out of them, playing 3-4 games/week back then. I went back to my Tacks and have been using them ever since. Sure they weigh more, but they're holding up, with only one minor issue that doesn't impact their performance at all.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I have an old pair of CCM Tacks 652. I eventually replaced them with the CCM U+ carbon composite skate. It felt like they halved the weight of their skates. Once I broke them in they felt great. Then they started to breakdown, and I only got maybe three years out of them, playing 3-4 games/week back then. I went back to my Tacks and have been using them ever since. Sure they weigh more, but they're holding up, with only one minor issue that doesn't impact their performance at all.
              I used to have 652s and loved them. Had to move to a different CCM when they stopped making Tacks (although they're back now, I see). I think they're still in my basement. My first pair of skates were Bauers, but I don't remember this kind of adjustment when I switched to CCM. I have a game tonight, so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping for only 50% Bambi at the start.

Comment

Took a puck to the ankle on Tuesday and feared that it was fractured again as it was quite painful.

Dodged a bullet as it seems to be only deeply bruised.

Feels like a small chip might be floating around in there, but can bear weight just fine and the time I actually fractured it, I couldn't walk on it.

Planning on getting a set of those clear foot/boot protectors.

I'm very active and would hate another 4-8 week injury to my ankle.

Trout opener is this weekend and I'd have to sit it out had this been a fracture/break.

As it stands, hope I can get a boot/wader on it as it is quite painful when touched or when something is in contact with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Took a puck to the ankle on Tuesday and feared that it was fractured again as it was quite painful.

Dodged a bullet as it seems to be only deeply bruised.

Feels like a small chip might be floating around in there, but can bear weight just fine and the time I actually fractured it, I couldn't walk on it.

Planning on getting a set of those clear foot/boot protectors.

I'm very active and would hate another 4-8 week injury to my ankle.

Trout opener is this weekend and I'd have to sit it out had this been a fracture/break.

As it stands, hope I can get a boot/wader on it as it is quite painful when touched or when something is in contact with it.
                  I took a puck to the top of my foot from a slap shot from the point. Tried lifting my foot up to get out of the way but didn't react quick enough. Being 56 will do that. Anyhoo I finished the game and when I took my skate off it looked like I had a golf ball growing on top of it. Now 6 days later it has pretty black and blue and yellow colors. In all the years I've played the game that's the first time I've been hit there.
                  Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                    I took a puck to the top of my foot from a slap shot from the point. Tried lifting my foot up to get out of the way but didn't react quick enough. Being 56 will do that. Anyhoo I finished the game and when I took my skate off it looked like I had a golf ball growing on top of it. Now 6 days later it has pretty black and blue and yellow colors. In all the years I've played the game that's the first time I've been hit there.

I had one of those on my lower shin a few months back (a year ago?) that kept me out for a few weeks because it was right where the pad edge was and it would have just blown up had I strapped a pad to it. Even when I went back, I had to put additional padding between my leg and the shin pad for several weeks.

I'll have to sit tonight out as a boot on the site is simply too uncomfortable to bother with playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      I had one of those on my lower shin a few months back (a year ago?) that kept me out for a few weeks because it was right where the pad edge was and it would have just blown up had I strapped a pad to it. Even when I went back, I had to put additional padding between my leg and the shin pad for several weeks.

I'll have to sit tonight out as a boot on the site is simply too uncomfortable to bother with playing.
                      The next night after getting hit I had to coach my peewee team for practice. Putting my skate on was about as painful as the shot I took itself. Taking it off the same. Had my other coach been available I would of sat it out. It didn’t help the healing process any that’s for sure
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                        I took a slap shot do the tongue of my skate during a league game. I immediately shouted out "[Expletive Deleted]!" and the ref just laughed, nodding his head. Normally you'd get a minor penalty for it. I finished out the game, but it was a few days before I was walking normally again.

Comment

Finally got back on the ice last night along with my new shot-blockers/boot protectors.

It seemed a bit awkward the first couple of shifts but it was just in my head as I forgot they were on after that.

One thing though that was really cool was having the confidence to leave my feet in the passing lanes instead of instinctively lifting them out of the way.

This will help a lot as I'm a defenseman who HATES getting hit in my feet.

Very solid purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

My foot is still black and blue and still swollen a bit from that shot I took 3 weeks ago today. Thinking now I may have a small fracture or something. Still playing but it's not right.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I took a slap shot do the tongue of my skate during a league game. I immediately shouted out "[Expletive Deleted]!" and the ref just laughed, nodding his head. Normally you'd get a minor penalty for it. I finished out the game, but it was a few days before I was walking normally again.
                              I would never survive in a league where there’s a penalty for swearing.

Comment

I would never survive in a league where there’s a penalty for swearing.
                                Usually the refs would just give you a stern "Hey!" If you're flagrant enough, that's when the unsportsmanlike penalties get assessed.

Comment

Working...
                                X