Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

  1. #661
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,170

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Beman View Post
    DR D Great choice, didn't he play with Freddie Kitchen and Gerry Knightly? Freddie was such a nice guy. Knightly was a player.
    That was indeed part of the team. Brinkworth was the key however. He could control the puck well enough to dominate the game and he was near impossible to get the puck away from. Of course his stats are affected by the fact that he could not play varsity as a freshman and the shorter length of the season in those days. Had he played 4 full years and each year 35 or more games I wonder what his numbers could have been. I also always felt had he been playing when the NHL expanded that he stood a good shot of playing at that level.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  2. #662
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dillsburg, PA
    Posts
    1,580

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Brinkworth played two seasons with Knightley and Kitchen. His last year was '63-64, while theirs was '64-65.

    Brinkworth had graduated before I enrolled at RPI, but I had the opportunity to see him play for RPI while I was in high school in the Troy area. He was, indeed, a fine player, scoring between 70 and 75 points in each of his three years, almost exactly evenly divided between goals and assists.

    He went on to play several seasons in the AHL and was a 20-goal scorer at a time when a 20-goal season in the AHL was a pretty significant achievement. It's certainly reasonable to believe that he could have played in the NHL if there had been 30 NHL teams in existence, as there are today, instead of 12, as there were back then.

    I got to see him play once as a professional during the late '60's, but his participation was very limited the night I was there. He was playing for the Baltimore Clippers against the Springfield Kings in an AHL game in Springfield. Bobby hadn't been in the game 30 seconds before he got in a fight, and that was the end of his participation for the evening. Very uncharacteristic of him, since his relatively small stature generally precluded his getting involved in many fights.

  3. #663
    A word to the wise is infuriating
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tralfamador
    Posts
    856

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    I also always felt had he been playing when the NHL expanded that he stood a good shot of playing at that level.
    Yeah, not a lot of college players made the NHL level back then

  4. #664
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,728

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    I arrived at RPI in 1964, so I just missed seeing him play for RPI. The only time that I did see him play was early in the 1969-70 season in the alumni game. Brinkworth had retired from the pros after the previous year and was sitting out a year in order to join the IHL, at that time considered amateur by the pros, although I assume not by the NCAA.

    Anyway, he played in the alumni game which at time was the alumni vs. the varsity. I think that was the only time that I saw the alumni win that game.

  5. #665
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,170

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    Brinkworth played two seasons with Knightley and Kitchen. His last year was '63-64, while theirs was '64-65.

    Brinkworth had graduated before I enrolled at RPI, but I had the opportunity to see him play for RPI while I was in high school in the Troy area. He was, indeed, a fine player, scoring between 70 and 75 points in each of his three years, almost exactly evenly divided between goals and assists.

    He went on to play several seasons in the AHL and was a 20-goal scorer at a time when a 20-goal season in the AHL was a pretty significant achievement. It's certainly reasonable to believe that he could have played in the NHL if there had been 30 NHL teams in existence, as there are today, instead of 12, as there were back then.

    I got to see him play once as a professional during the late '60's, but his participation was very limited the night I was there. He was playing for the Baltimore Clippers against the Springfield Kings in an AHL game in Springfield. Bobby hadn't been in the game 30 seconds before he got in a fight, and that was the end of his participation for the evening. Very uncharacteristic of him, since his relatively small stature generally precluded his getting involved in many fights.
    Bobby in a fight? I would never have believed it. I don't even recall him taking many penalties at all at RPI. I remember listening on the radio to one or two Clippers games when he played for them. Wow am I ever dating myself. In any case a very deserving addition to the Ring of Honor.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  6. #666
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    532

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I don't know why you sell yourself short CM? That was the best write up of the UMass game that I've read.
    Sorry to be late with this, but thanks so much for the kind words, WS. I'm not trying to sell myself short, but I don't usually pick up on specific plays the way you and some others here do or get a real feel for what the systems are and who's playing them correctly and who's not. That's okay, though, as long as you guys are willing to put up with my touchy-feely, big-picture approach to commenting on the games.

    Here are a few quick thoughts on the UNH game. What RPI did right: darn near everything! I saw no lessening of that high-energy, physical play we were talking about, and considering how well it worked Saturday I don't think we have to worry about it going away any time soon. I saw more hits from RPI in the last two games (thinking of Erik Burgdoerfer, John Kennedy and Bryan Brutlag particularly) than I did in two months last year! The offense, power play included, is much better than last year but, in my opinion, still has room for improvement. Right now the speed and hustle is carrying it, and having more scoring threats for the opposition to worry about is a BIG factor (thank you, freshmen!), but I'd like to see better passing and playmaking too.

    What RPI did wrong: I hate to say anything negative about Allen York who had a magnificent game overall, but the only small criticism I can think of is that he still has a tendency to drop some soft rebounds in front of the net. By luck or design, our defense was there to sweep away every single one of them Saturday night, but I'd be more comfortable if they weren't there to begin with. That and the aforementioned better set-ups are the ONLY things I can think of to put on my wish list based on that game. Let's hope the boys can keep it up!
    Charlene

  7. #667
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    532

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    I also want to mention how very pleased the guys were with the support they felt from the crowd at the UNH game. They told me afterward that they were really impressed with the noise the fans made, especially since they were aware that the building was nowhere near full. They said that toward the end the loud cheering really pumped them up and gave them energy, so to those of you who were there and helped play the seventh man, give yourselves a pat on the back. The boys never forget what terrific fans they have and they were VERY happy to feel like they gave them something to cheer about Saturday.
    Charlene

  8. #668
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,016

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    I also want to mention how very pleased the guys were with the support they felt from the crowd at the UNH game. They told me afterward that they were really impressed with the noise the fans made, especially since they were aware that the building was nowhere near full. They said that toward the end the loud cheering really pumped them up and gave them energy, so to those of you who were there and helped play the seventh man, give yourselves a pat on the back. The boys never forget what terrific fans they have and they were VERY happy to feel like they gave them something to cheer about Saturday.
    That is no fluke, CM. I was up with the band, and the sound of the crowd almost sounded like a Freakout. I was EXTREMELY pleased with the team's play out there. Although I was a little worried with 12 minutes to go and up 2 goals, RPI never stopped attacking. I'm not looking at the box score, but I'd guess UNH had no more than 30 seconds worth of EA time, not counting any of Carusone's jealousy of RPI actually doing well. Although it'll be tough against the teams like Union and Cornell because our speed doesn't always work against their clutch-and-grab styles, I'm looking forward to the season, and actually going to quite a few games.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  9. #669
    A word to the wise is infuriating
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tralfamador
    Posts
    856

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    What RPI did wrong: I hate to say anything negative about Allen York who had a magnificent game overall, but the only small criticism I can think of is that he still has a tendency to drop some soft rebounds in front of the net. By luck or design, our defense was there to sweep away every single one of them Saturday night, but I'd be more comfortable if they weren't there to begin with. That and the aforementioned better set-ups are the ONLY things I can think of to put on my wish list based on that game. Let's hope the boys can keep it up!
    noticed the same, York left some "juicy rebounds" and posted such earlier, it appeared that RPI d looked strong in front picked up their men instead of watching the puck. They did the job but somehow York has to control those rebounds a little better.

  10. #670
    Season tickets - Year #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kingston, NY
    Posts
    543

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    The Engineers rallied for a 4-3 Shootout victory in an exhibition game last week. Afterward, Appert’s daughter, Campbell, said to him, “you won.”

    “Get used to it,” he replied.
    I was told about this excerpt from the Troy Record's article from Oct. 8 (http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...a777534035.txt) after our game against UNH.

    I believe in Seth Appert.
    Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey
    http://firstchurchofrpihockey.wikispaces.com/

  11. #671
    Mushroom Cloud-Laying Mofo GreatLakerMohawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Waterford, NY, USA
    Posts
    40,395

    Thumbs up Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by hawthr View Post
    I was told about this excerpt from the Troy Record's article from Oct. 8 (http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...a777534035.txt) after our game against UNH.

    I believe in Seth Appert.
    *******http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/ibelieveinsethappert-1.jpg********
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

  12. #672
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,016

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    *******http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/ibelieveinsethappert-1.jpg********
    Thanks, I had it on Deanna, but didn't carry it over to Samantha.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  13. #673
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,258

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Thanks, I had it on Deanna, but didn't carry it over to Samantha.
    Please don't tell me that you give your computers female names. Please tell me this is something else.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  14. #674
    Mushroom Cloud-Laying Mofo GreatLakerMohawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Waterford, NY, USA
    Posts
    40,395

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Please don't tell me that you give your computers female names. Please tell me this is something else.
    I'm praying that he means he gets this tattooed on his girlfriend(s). Or he's a pimp and that's his way to brand them.

    In that case, I demand a cut.
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

  15. #675
    Season tickets - Year #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kingston, NY
    Posts
    543

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    *******http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/ibelieveinsethappert-1.jpg********
    *******http://i3.***********.com/albums/y67/righwingnut742/1003092142a.jpg********

    Photographic evidence of these such flyers hanging in the Rensselaer Union. Picture taken Oct. 3. The campus is ready for greatness. It is excited for this season.
    Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey
    http://firstchurchofrpihockey.wikispaces.com/

  16. #676
    Mushroom Cloud-Laying Mofo GreatLakerMohawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Waterford, NY, USA
    Posts
    40,395

    Thumbs up Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Fantastic.
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

  17. #677
    GRussinko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Just wanted to take a minute to put a plug up here for the Women's Hockey "Pack The House Night" against #1 Mercyhurst tomorrow, 7pm at the Field House. If you're in the area and looking for something to do, please come out and help the team try to break its all-time attendance record against some top quality opposition.

    As always, admission is free to women's home games.
    Without A Peer - Covering RPI men's and women's hockey
    APBWiki

  18. #678
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    I also want to mention how very pleased the guys were with the support they felt from the crowd at the UNH game. They told me afterward that they were really impressed with the noise the fans made, especially since they were aware that the building was nowhere near full. They said that toward the end the loud cheering really pumped them up and gave them energy, so to those of you who were there and helped play the seventh man, give yourselves a pat on the back. The boys never forget what terrific fans they have and they were VERY happy to feel like they gave them something to cheer about Saturday.
    That's great to hear from the boys CM. I too was happy to see the faithful getting the place rocking. I know my voice sounded a lot like Wolf Man Jack's the next day... I think if RPI can keep the energy and wins coming HFH will become a very popular place...and a tough place for visiting teams!
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  19. #679
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Beman View Post
    noticed the same, York left some "juicy rebounds" and posted such earlier, it appeared that RPI d looked strong in front picked up their men instead of watching the puck. They did the job but somehow York has to control those rebounds a little better.
    Always some things to work on for keepers. Yorkie's glove work and key saves more than made up for the few rebounds. Let's not forget that he saw 36 or so shots. I am happy to see that he is controlling his side to side movements much better... last year he occasionally slid right past the pipe and out of position. We are definitely seeing some growth in his game.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  20. #680
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,016

    Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    I'm praying that he means he gets this tattooed on his girlfriend(s). Or he's a pimp and that's his way to brand them.

    In that case, I demand a cut.
    How much of a cut you looking for?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •