Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Coaches Salaries

Originally posted by HockeyMN View Post
    The University of Minnesota newspaper actually posted the top 100 salaries for the entire university system this past year. The article was written back on Dec. 8, 2008, but it looks more current (with respect to Lucia's earnings) than the article from the Denver Post.

Here's the link: http://www.mndaily.com/2008/12/08/10...largely-admins
    The link within the first sentence takes you to the actual list.

Here are the highlights:

Lucia: $241,196
    Tubby Smith: $630,000
    Tim Brewster: $408,000

Kinda funny, huh? If you went by this info you'd have to think that the U of M values football and basketball more than hockey ... of course, we all know better.
    Actually, I would have to say the university probably does value football over hockey, and basketball is starting to become important again as well, but not to the point of hockey just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMN View Post
      The University of Minnesota newspaper actually posted the top 100 salaries for the entire university system this past year. The article was written back on Dec. 8, 2008, but it looks more current (with respect to Lucia's earnings) than the article from the Denver Post.

Here's the link: http://www.mndaily.com/2008/12/08/10...largely-admins
      The link within the first sentence takes you to the actual list.

Here are the highlights:

Lucia: $241,196
      Tubby Smith: $630,000
      Tim Brewster: $408,000

Kinda funny, huh? If you went by this info you'd have to think that the U of M values football and basketball more than hockey ... of course, we all know better.
      But how do those salaries compare to others in college basketball, football, and the Big Ten? It's not necessarily that they value those programs more, it's more the market rate for football and basketball coaches. How much money does the football and basketball programs bring in compared to hockey? U of M football is going to start bringing in a lot more money too...

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
        Actually, I would have to say the university probably does value football over hockey, and basketball is starting to become important again as well, but not to the point of hockey just yet.
        WOOSH!
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          The WCHA would have the highest average salaries.

The top coaches throughout the NCAA probably make above or around $200,000, everyone else probably makes $70,000-$130,000.

I'd guess that the biggest difference between the WCHA and the other conferences is what the top assistants make. Also WCHA schools would have more support staff and people who answer to the hockey coach. Almost certainly WCHA schools would have the largest budgets for everything from travel to hockey sticks.
          Anyone know the range for assistants in the WCHA?

Comment

Russell must've gotten a raise in the past year or two. Last I heard, he was making just under $100k.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
              Anyone know the range for assistants in the WCHA?
              USCHO posters commonly cite $100,000+ being thrown around for the top assistants.

Guessing that Miller, Hill & Hastings would be the highest paid, in no particular order.

The 2nd assistants could be as low as $20,000 depending on the school, but that too is a wild guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                USCHO posters commonly cite $100,000+ being thrown around for the top assistants.

Guessing that Miller, Hill & Hastings would be the highest paid, in no particular order.

The 2nd assistants could be as low as $20,000 depending on the school, but that too is a wild guess.
                I would be shocked if any 2nd assistant was making $20,000 even at the AHA schools. Who can live off of $20,000 now days. Hell I made a little more than that 13 years ago when I got out college and I could barely live. I would guess around $35,000 would be the lowest. In the WCHA I would guess the lowest 2nd assistants makes $50,000 or maybe just a tad less.
                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                  I would be shocked if any 2nd assistant was making $20,000 even at the AHA schools. Who can live off of $20,000 now days. Hell I made a little more than that 13 years ago when I got out college and I could barely live. I would guess around $35,000 would be the lowest. In the WCHA I would guess the lowest 2nd assistants makes $50,000 or maybe just a tad less.
                  Good point & you are probably right, but there are hundreds of people who want these jobs. I was just guessing.

There are 12 coaches in the league who work for nothing. The unpaid volunteer assistants.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 07-20-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

John Hill $121,352
                    Mike Guentzel(while at Minnesota) $120,781
                    Bert Gilling $52,308
                    Ted Belisle $35,167
                    Eric Means $56,595
                    Darren Blue $51,796
                    Steve Rohlik $69,700
                    Eric Rud $63,371

Don Lucia $497,120
                    Troy Jutting $133,446
                    Tom Serratore $97,550
                    Scott Sandelin $139,250
                    Bob Motzko $151,353

Women's Head Hockey coaches:
                    Steve Sertich $62,649
                    Laura Halldorson $111,682
                    Jeff Vizenor $75,993
                    Shannon Miller $167,111
                    Jeff Giesen $62,960

All from:
                    http://extra.twincities.com/car/salaries/default.aspx

It's all public information...This information for MnSCU schools from 2007. University of Minnesota schools from the 2008 fiscal year.
                    Last edited by thebrain; 07-20-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Assistants were higher than I expected. Good info...

Comment

Working...
                      X