Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCHA Coaches Salaries

WCHA Coaches Salaries

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post lists the salaries and length of contracts of WCHA coaches in his blog today. No mention if Mike Eaves gets a bonus every time he cuts a player on scholarship & saves Wisconsin money.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...st-paid-coach/
    Last edited by dggoddard; 07-17-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Re: WCHA Coaches Salaries

At least for the usual bottom five teams, it's noticeable how they correlate to standings.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Fighting Sioux Fan Forever

Quote Originally Posted by dggoddard View Post
    Mike Chambers of the Denver Post lists the salaries and length of contracts of WCHA coaches in his blog today. No mention if Mike Eaves gets a bonus every time he cuts a player on scholarship & saves Wisconsin money.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...st-paid-coach/
    I wonder how these numbers compare to the other conferences?
    I'm here for the hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    I wonder how these numbers compare to the other conferences?
    The WCHA would have the highest average salaries.

The top coaches throughout the NCAA probably make above or around $200,000, everyone else probably makes $70,000-$130,000.

I'd guess that the biggest difference between the WCHA and the other conferences is what the top assistants make. Also WCHA schools would have more support staff and people who answer to the hockey coach. Almost certainly WCHA schools would have the largest budgets for everything from travel to hockey sticks.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 07-17-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Salary is just a part of the story - there may be performance bonuses, hockey camp income, TV/radio show income and other perks like country club memberships, paid car, etc. The compensation packages may be larger than how they appear in Mike's Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Salary is just a part of the story - there may be performance bonuses, hockey camp income, TV/radio show income and other perks like country club memberships, paid car, etc. The compensation packages may be larger than how they appear in Mike's Blog...
    Good point.

Plus some of the coaches have their kids college tuition paid for or subsidized which is a pretty good chunk of change. Its also tax free, which is a huge bonus.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 07-18-2009 at 12:04 AM.

I can pretty much guarantee you Lucia makes the biggest compensation package in the conference when you throw in the media, camps, etc.
    University of Minnesota

My Twitter Page: Hammy Hockey Twitter

No real surprises or head-scratchers on that list, either with someone getting paid more or less than you'd think. And I'd assume that Owens is probably somewhere between Hakstol and Motzko.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

On the banks of a river, somewhere.

Hmm. I always assumed Gwoz had the highest salary of all WCHA coaches, but I'm a bit shocked he isn't making significantly more.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Quote Originally Posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Hmm. I always assumed Gwoz had the highest salary of all WCHA coaches, but I'm a bit shocked he isn't making significantly more.
    He would make more but he gets too many fines for being a cheat and a effeminate dasher dancer...

Red Berenson (Michigan) makes $190,000.

Wonder what Dean Blais in the soon to be WCHA UNO makes

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Quote Originally Posted by SkimeySalamander View Post
    Red Berenson (Michigan) makes $190,000.
    That might be his salary from Michigan, but he makes a helluva lot more than that from the other aspects of the program. I read something a few years ago where they published what Michigan and Michigan State's coaches made. I remember Red making over $700K, everything all-in, and a few dollars more than then-basketball coach Tommy Amaker.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Toot Cahoon makes a bit over $200K, while Blaise MacDonald makes ~$175K.

Contrast this to the incoming coach at Brown who will make a paltry ~$85,000. I also remember when Mark Mazzolini left Harvard from Green Bay (USHL), he got a pay raise.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    3 grandsons

The University of Minnesota newspaper actually posted the top 100 salaries for the entire university system this past year. The article was written back on Dec. 8, 2008, but it looks more current (with respect to Lucia's earnings) than the article from the Denver Post.

Here's the link: http://www.mndaily.com/2008/12/08/10...largely-admins
    The link within the first sentence takes you to the actual list.

Here are the highlights:

Lucia: $241,196
    Tubby Smith: $630,000
    Tim Brewster: $408,000

Kinda funny, huh? If you went by this info you'd have to think that the U of M values football and basketball more than hockey ... of course, we all know better.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyMN View Post
    The University of Minnesota newspaper actually posted the top 100 salaries for the entire university system this past year. The article was written back on Dec. 8, 2008, but it looks more current (with respect to Lucia's earnings) than the article from the Denver Post.

Here are the highlights:

Kinda funny, huh? If you went by this info you'd have to think that the U of M values football and basketball more than hockey ... of course, we all know better.
    Actually, I would have to say the university probably does value football over hockey, and basketball is starting to become important again as well, but not to the point of hockey just yet.

Shut up hockey puck

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyMN View Post

Here are the highlights:

But how do those salaries compare to others in college basketball, football, and the Big Ten? It's not necessarily that they value those programs more, it's more the market rate for football and basketball coaches. How much money does the football and basketball programs bring in compared to hockey? U of M football is going to start bringing in a lot more money too...

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
    Actually, I would have to say the university probably does value football over hockey, and basketball is starting to become important again as well, but not to the point of hockey just yet.
    WOOSH!
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Quote Originally Posted by dggoddard View Post
    The WCHA would have the highest average salaries.

The top coaches throughout the NCAA probably make above or around $200,000, everyone else probably makes $70,000-$130,000.

I'd guess that the biggest difference between the WCHA and the other conferences is what the top assistants make. Also WCHA schools would have more support staff and people who answer to the hockey coach. Almost certainly WCHA schools would have the largest budgets for everything from travel to hockey sticks.
    Anyone know the range for assistants in the WCHA?

Eyes of a Stranger FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Russell must've gotten a raise in the past year or two. Last I heard, he was making just under $100k.
    Michigan Tech: Now go do, that voodoo, that YOU do, so well!

Boosh Factor (11/08/14): 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer, on the Detroit Lions View Post
    It's not even Memorial Day and the season is already on the rocket sled straight to hell.

Thread Information