This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.44: "That's Not Law" said Trump

Barr is officially the nominee. Can he shut this witch hunt down fast enough??

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      So my question would be about the constitutionality of the laws passed when stripping these government officials of their powers and transferring them to the legislature. Were the powers stripped provided to these office holders by their respective states' constitutions, or subsequent legislation?

Regardless of the legal outcome of this, it's severely short-sighted and very foolish. Talk about giving ammo to the opposition come next election cycle!

Obamacare. Regardless of whether or not a person views it as good legislation, it was passed a few short days before the Republicans took control of Congress in 2011.
      I assume that if the legislature tries to eliminate a constitutional power of the governor, that's going to get shot down in the courts. As I recall, that's part of the claim about what happened in North Carolina a couple of years ago, but I don't think that's been decided yet, but I don't know for sure.

What you see everyone saying is "it's undemocratic" what these legislatures are doing, which is just another way of saying "it's not fair."

With respect to lame duck legislation, iirc correctly after Obama took a beating in the mid-terms in 2010, the outgoing Democratic congress passed a bunch of legislation that they knew would never get passed once the Republicans took office. I think their ban on the executive branch using the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the military was part of what they did away with, which is fine with me because it was a stupid practice by the executive anyway. But I'm not 100% certain I have the dates right on that.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Yep. They might.

So hey, I have an idea. How about the D's win the Wisconsin legislature and they can decide what powers they want the governor to have. To winners go the spoils.
        How about the GOP quit being partisan hacks and start putting the state or country ahead of profits or personal gain?

I want my legislature to legislate. Not spend months undoing what the last group did.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Obamacare. Regardless of whether or not a person views it as good legislation, it was passed a few short days before the Republicans took control of Congress in 2011.

Obamacare was coming down the pumpkin path literally from the day Obama was elected in 2008. It wasn't passed by a bunch of "I'm taking my ball and going home" crybabies who lost an election. And if memory serves wasn't it actually passed in 2010, before the 2010 midterms? If Scott Walker had managed to suppress a few more votes to win another term last month, this legislation would never have been mentioned, let alone considered.

What I'm waiting to see from anyone -- what we're all waiting here to see -- is similar legislation passed by democratic legislators in a state where the incoming governor is a republican replacing a democratic governor. Deep blue Massachusetts has a republican governor. Do the democrats in their state legislature spend all their time passing laws stripping him of power?
          Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            How about the GOP quit being partisan hacks and start putting the state or country ahead of profits or personal gain?

I want my legislature to legislate. Not spend months undoing what the last group did.
            The GOP isn’t interested in governing. They only care about enriching the... already rich
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I have yet to hear one logical explanation as to why the legislation proposed in Michigan and Wisconsin is illegal or unconstitutional. Same as in North Carolina.
              who said it was?

Comment

I have yet to hear one logical explanation as to why the legislation proposed in Michigan and Wisconsin is illegal or unconstitutional. Same as in North Carolina.
                https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/2224333002/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.ff7349e0071f
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Also, what's your defense of the Michigan GOP being Indian givers?

The original version of the minimum wage bill sought to incrementally increase the minimum wage from $9.25 an hour to $12 an hour by 2022. The minimum wage for tipped workers would increase from $3.52 an hour to $12 an hour by 2024.

The gutted version put forth by the legislature, meanwhile, would increase the minimum wage to $12 by 2030 and bring tipped wages to only $4 by 2030.
                  The chicken sh**s approved the original Bill's just to prevent it going to a referendum for voters to approve.

This isn't "lame duck" legislation. This is an outright "fu** you," from the GOP.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Is this just a deliberately obtuse post, or do you really not get this?

Some of you here, along with a bunch of halfwits in Wisconsin, Michigan and elsewhere don't get that this is lame duck legislation?? Lame duck legislation occurs literally every single time there is a change in power from one party to the other at either the state or federal level. The outgoing party knows "it's now or never" and the incoming party screams "foul" (although admittedly not with the shrillness of some of the D's in Wisconsin).

There is nothing illegal about it. There is nothing evil about it. It's no different than if they had passed the legislation last February. Personally I wouldn't pass a bunch of legislation like Wisconsin's since it's shortsighted -- there will almost certainly come a time when the Wisconsin legislature is controlled by the D's and the Governor is an R, but that's really their problem.
                    You want me to give you examples of lame duck legislation??
                    Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    Obamacare was coming down the pumpkin path literally from the day Obama was elected in 2008. It wasn't passed by a bunch of "I'm taking my ball and going home" crybabies who lost an election. And if memory serves wasn't it actually passed in 2010, before the 2010 midterms? If Scott Walker had managed to suppress a few more votes to win another term last month, this legislation would never have been mentioned, let alone considered.
                    You're right, I was confusing it with other legislation. It was signed into law on March 23, 2010.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

When all I get is name-calling, I tend to think I struck a little closer to home than people like to admit.
                      Yes, all you got is name calling (so long as you ignore everything except name calling).

Comment

The chicken sh**s approved the original Bill's just to prevent it going to a referendum for voters to approve.

This isn't "lame duck" legislation. This is an outright "fu** you," from the GOP.
                        Democracy.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          You’re the one who is obtuse if you think stripping these powers is usual lame duck activity.
                          Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          They are trying to modify ballot proposals that we, the majority of the voters, voted for as written. In Michigan, They are also trying to strip campaign finance oversight powers from the SecState-elect, and that bill is sponsored by a guy who has been investigated and fined for violations multiple times.

So yeah, nitwit, you can pretty much get the fark outta here with that "both-sides" bullsh*t.
                          Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Yes, I remember all those democrats burning the government down when they lost in 1994 and 2010. Oh wait, they didn't happen.

Take that weak arse BSABSVR bullshiat outta here, meat.
                          Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                          If this is just business as usual, you should have no problem finding examples of Democrats weakening the powers of an office they just lost in an election. If you think that is ok, sorry, you're a POS.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          This one drank the GOP Kool-Aid.
                          Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          You may have just passed Drew as the dumbest poster on USCHO
                          Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                          Yes, all you got is name calling (so long as you ignore everything except name calling).
                          There wasn't a ton of substance in those initial responses.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Michigan Goopers are fuked for two reasons. 1) Its entirely possible the state Supreme Court will rule against them. Its closely divided with one swing justice who approved the anti-gerrymandering referendum and who is now persona non grata amongst the state GOP. 2) Regardless what hasn't changed is an independent commission will draw the lines after 2020, which most likely means the end of the GOP's majorities in the state legislature.

North Carolina has a similar issue. State supreme court is 5-2 Dems. They will most likely find the lines to be unconstitutional sorta like Pennsylvania did and then draw the lines themselves. That means NC Goopers are also in deep doo-doo.

Problem in Wisconsin is that the Dems need to retain and then pick up one more seat over the next couple of years to grab court majority. If they lose one of those they're out of luck since GOP is a cult.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

There seems to be a lot of implying that there aren't, in fact, examples of Democrats using lame duck sessions to weaken offices that they just lost. Instead of refuting that (because you can't...or weren't confident that you could), you deluded yourself into thinking two things. One, that there was nothing but name calling in the responses. And two, that people were suggesting Democrats have never passed any sort of lame duck legislation.
                              Last edited by GrinCDXX; 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I love it when idiot posters so readily reveal their idiocy. In 4 of the 7 posts you quoted, the posters clearly offered a very substantive -- if brief -- argument against your "both sides are bad" garbage. And we're still waiting by the way. Find us some examples of democrats losing the governor's office to a republican and then the democratic legislature in that state looking to strip power from the incoming governor before he or she takes office.

Comment

Working...
                                X