This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Don't think so. First, I think that these are grassroots decisions...just an opinion. Second, it appears you'd need a constituency that is close to 50/50 or greater in favor of the GOP to maintain it - which the US is not. The national GOP can't keep either house indefinitely like it can in states like WI or ND. Of course, I could be wrong.
    Grassroots my azz.

The whole GOP long term agenda was to pack the courts and then the state houses, and then convene a Constitutional Convention, amend the Constitution to support their pet agenda, and then ram approval through the states.

And they were only like five or six states away from making it happen. Until the disgust with Red Don trumped their plans.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.44: "That's Not Law" said Trump

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      Grassroots my azz.

The whole GOP long term agenda was to pack the courts and then the state houses, and then convene a Constitutional Convention, amend the Constitution to support their pet agenda, and then ram approval through the states.

And they were only like five or six states away from making it happen. Until the disgust with Red Don trumped their plans.
      Truth. They were very very close.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Grassroots my azz.

To me, it sounds less like the evil mastermind project by a handful of oligarchs driven by the top down. If it were just willing accomplices executing this high level master plan...I would think someone, somewhere would have outed it. I believe that the extreme players are in the state legislatures and are driving this from the bottoms up...cuz that's where its happening. That doesn't mean that the national GOP won't seize upon it. Again, who knows for sure.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          To me, it sounds less like the evil mastermind project by a handful of oligarchs driven by the top down. If it were just willing accomplices executing this high level master plan...I would think someone, somewhere would have outed it. I believe that the extreme players are in the state legislatures and are driving this from the bottoms up...cuz that's where its happening. Again, who knows for sure.
          The Koch's. They've been at the center of it for decades. They almost pulled it off. This latest setback may be the end of it all. We can only hope.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm guessing you're talking about the House.

The Senate is even worse as Wyoming gets the same number of votes as California.
            no, I'm talking about the Senate. The Republicans have an advantage in the senate because even though fewer people vote for Republican senators, the people that vote for democratic senators are crammed into fewer states. Our urban/rural political divide has effectively (not literally) gerrymandered the senate. For example, Wyoming == California as far as the Senate is concerned -- the advantage the republicans have in the Senate will be difficult to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              no, I'm talking about the Senate. The Republicans have an advantage in the senate because even though fewer people vote for Republican senators, the people that vote for democratic senators are crammed into fewer states. Our urban/rural political divide has effectively (not literally) gerrymandered the senate. For example, Wyoming == California as far as the Senate is concerned -- the advantage the republicans have in the Senate will be difficult to overcome.
              Semantics.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Every Republican, Centrist, and people who voted for Trump. **** you and your anti-immigrant stance.

BEDMINSTER, N.J. — During more than five years as a housekeeper at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., Victorina Morales has made Donald J. Trump’s bed, cleaned his toilet and dusted his crystal golf trophies. When he visited as president, she was directed to wear a pin in the shape of the American flag adorned with a Secret Service logo.

Because of the “outstanding” support she has provided during Mr. Trump’s visits, Ms. Morales in July was given a certificate from the White House Communications Agency inscribed with her name.

Quite an achievement for an undocumented immigrant housekeeper.
                During the presidential campaign, when the Trump International Hotel opened for business in Washington, Mr. Trump boasted that he had used an electronic verification system, E-Verify, to ensure that only those legally entitled to work were hired.

“We didn’t have one illegal immigrant on the job,” Mr. Trump said then.
                You're a ****ing liar.

But throughout his campaign and his administration, Ms. Morales, 45, has been reporting for work at Mr. Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, where she is still on the payroll. An employee of the golf course drives her and a group of others to work every day, she says, because it is known that they cannot legally obtain driver’s licenses.
                https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/u...qihuRRrFI_pF5Y

Comment

Semantics.
                  my point was Rover said the senate can't be gerrymandered, but it doesn't matter -- it is already effectively gerrymandered

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    my point was Rover said the senate can't be gerrymandered, but it doesn't matter -- it is already effectively gerrymandered
                    Yeah, I get the logic.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      That's my thinking as well, since this trend started.

Dems made it easier nationally by invoking the Nuclear Option a few years back, Republicans returned the favor. I can honestly see it swinging to a simple majority if the Repubs get super power once again.
                      Oh god, this crap again? The GOP goes full tilt party over country, and it's the Dems fault because Harry Reid made a tactical decision 8 years ago?

Just stop. It's the political equivalent of victim blaming.

Comment

Grassroots my azz.

They were closer than that. They were something like 1 governor's seat and 5 legislative seats away at their peak.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          That's my thinking as well, since this trend started.

Dems made it easier nationally by invoking the Nuclear Option a few years back, Republicans returned the favor. I can honestly see it swinging to a simple majority if the Repubs get super power once again.
                          No. The GOP does whatever it wants without help from the Democrats. They needed no cover. Stop pretending they did.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            They were closer than that. They were something like 1 governor's seat and 5 legislative seats away at their peak.
                            Yeah, I remember posting about that a year or two ago. Or there might have been a series of posts on it. It was a story that got almost zero coverage but was a monumentally dangerous moment for the country. We were driving on the edge of the cliff and we had no idea.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Nice camera work covering the funeral rail trip of 41.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Nice camera work covering the funeral rail trip of 41.
                                Is it just me, or does it seem excessive to anybody else when we have end-to-end coverage of GHWB's corpse from one destination to the next? Give people the ceremonies, but the train ride is just too much.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X