X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTUS 45.44: "That's Not Law" said Trump

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Again, I would suggest this mechanism to prevent bad people from getting in is a solution in search of a problem until proven otherwise.
    You don't believe that bad people try to enter the country?

Also, in the (highly unlikely) event such a proposal would ever be considered, having such a mechanism would be an absolute requirement. I'm open to what that mechanism actually is, but there would need to be something for such a proposal to have any chance of success.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      There is a problem. Sneaking in is illegal. Against the law. Good or bad people, it's still against the law.
      So you'd be good if we simply opened the borders? I mean, just as long as they're not breaking the law, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        You don't believe that bad people try to enter the country?

Also, in the (highly unlikely) event such a proposal would ever be considered, having such a mechanism would be an absolute requirement. I'm open to what that mechanism actually is, but there would need to be something for such a proposal to have any chance of success.
        I don't believe it's a particularly significant problem.

Comment

There is a problem. Sneaking in is illegal. Against the law. Good or bad people, it's still against the law.
          The "sneaking in" (at least generally speaking) would be eliminated by the Immigration Centers. It would be reasonable to think that if there were Immigration Centers, then only "bad people" would try to sneak in, which would be against the law under the proposal.
          North Dakota

Comment

I don't believe it's a particularly significant problem.
            Well, then we could align the mechanism with the significance of the problem. To be fair though, we probably wouldn't know the significance of the problem until after the Immigration Centers are in full force.
            North Dakota

Comment

So you'd be good if we simply opened the borders? I mean, just as long as they're not breaking the law, right?
              If that were the law....

My thing is I want screening for everyone, which we currently have. Just need to tighten the screws. Make sure anyone who wants to become a citizen will be a good citizen.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The "sneaking in" (at least generally speaking) would be eliminated by the Immigration Centers. It would be reasonable to think that if there were Immigration Centers, then only "bad people" would try to sneak in, which would be against the law under the proposal.
                Agreed.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

If that were the law....

My thing is I want screening for everyone, which we currently have. Just need to tighten the screws. Make sure anyone who wants to become a citizen will be a good citizen.
                  And my thing is that I don't want to throw billions of dollars at preventing "bad hombres" from entering the country when there doesn't seem to be a single bit of rational evidence that "bad hombres" are actually a problem worth worrying about.

Comment

And my thing is that I don't want to throw billions of dollars at preventing "bad hombres" from entering the country when there doesn't seem to be a single bit of rational evidence that "bad hombres" are actually a problem worth worrying about.
                    Again, that's a fair point, but I don't think we would be able to really make such determinations until after the implementation of the Immigration Centers. So, I think the proposal would be modified to: (1) Build Immigration Centers for new immigrants; (2) Current "illegal" immigrants report and get cleared; (3) Determine to what extent people are trying to evade Immigration Centers; (4) Use new tax revenue from former "illegals" and new immigrants to implement appropriate mechanism to address (3).

You on board?
                    North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      Again, that's a fair point, but I don't think we would be able to really make such determinations until after the implementation of the Immigration Centers. So, I think the proposal would be modified to: (1) Build Immigration Centers for new immigrants; (2) Current "illegal" immigrants report and get cleared; (3) Determine to what extent people are trying to evade Immigration Centers; (4) Use new tax revenue from former "illegals" and new immigrants to implement appropriate mechanism to address (3).

You on board?
                      Get it done.

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.44: "That's Not Law" said Trump

I can understand that, but anyone crossing without going through the process is breaking the law. I don't care how minor an offense it is, and they could be angels. Don't break the law unless you are going to pay the consequences. I am NOT part of the "bad hombre" crowd, believe me. That's some propaganda BS. However, there are processes that need to be followed.

Comment

Building a wall is now a compromise. jfc

Comment

I think there needs to be some mechanism to prevent bad people from getting into the country. I'll admit that a physical wall probably isn't a good idea. However, I do think a wall consisting of a physical wall where feasible/logical coupled with a virtual wall consisting of increased Border Patrol (or other security type options) may be a decent way to prevent bad people from getting into the country. I'm all ears though if people have other suggestions. Again, the wall portion of the proposal was more of a way to satisfy that mechanism to prevent bad people from getting into the country.
                            What bad people?
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You on board?
                              No. It is a colossal waste of time and money and there is < .01% chance current "illegals" would report for fear of deportation.

Prove to me there is a statistically significant number of "bad hombres" and I will reconsider. Since no one can (and since locals are much more likely to commit crimes) I say "no thanks" but appreciate the effort.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                No. It is a colossal waste of time and money and there is < .01% chance current "illegals" would report for fear of deportation.

Prove to me there is a statistically significant number of "bad hombres" and I will reconsider. Since no one can (and since locals are much more likely to commit crimes) I say "no thanks" but appreciate the effort.
                                Since the current influx of immigrants (illegal or not) are not reporting, than one cannot say statistically that the majority are not "bad hombres."

Comment

Working...
                                X