Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,348

    2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Yale, UConn, BU and Union will be playing for the Belpot trophy in Belfast Ireland on November 23rd and 24th. Each team except for Union are located mid pack in the pairwise. This should be a pretty wide open tourney IMO. My wife and I are taking in the tournament. We decided to self book our own trip rather than participate in official Yale trip. FYI, non-stop flights from Providence, Newburgh, NY and Boston on Norwegian Air Shuttle to Dublin are remarkably inexpensive at this time of year. We are flying out of Newburgh on the 20th and returning on the 27th for $276 round trip, which includes a carry on bag, staying the first night in Dublin to get settled then rented a small apartment via AirBNB for five nights in downtown Belfast. If anyone else is heading over, chime in, maybe we can share a pint in the old sod.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  2. #2
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    I also self-booked and made the trip for the 2015 event and it turned out to be one of the best times I ever had in many years of hockey related travel. The arena itself is clean and modern with excellent sight lines and surprisingly knowledgeable fans. Then there's "Mother of All Hockey Bars" (no exaggeration) on the ground floor of the arena building. If you do the right thing and make the trip, be sure to take an extra day or two to take a tour of Belfast and/or the Antrim coast. Another must is the Titanic Museum, located right on the slipway where the Titanic was built (and steps from the arena). And If you have time, take a bus or train down to Dublin and beyond. Really people, it's a great trip.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,348

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    I also self-booked and made the trip for the 2015 event and it turned out to be one of the best times I ever had in many years of hockey related travel. The arena itself is clean and modern with excellent sight lines and surprisingly knowledgeable fans. Then there's "Mother of All Hockey Bars" (no exaggeration) on the ground floor of the arena building. If you do the right thing and make the trip, be sure to take an extra day or two to take a tour of Belfast and/or the Antrim coast. Another must is the Titanic Museum, located right on the slipway where the Titanic was built (and steps from the arena). And If you have time, take a bus or train down to Dublin and beyond. Really people, it's a great trip.
    Thanks for the tips, we have already visited the south twice, plan on taking the Titanic Museum, the Causeway Coast and hopefully a trip to Derry. I bought a two day pass for the games yesterday and was surprised to see not many tickets available.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    64
    Do yourself a favor and take in a Black Cab Tour while in Belfast. You can customize the length of the tour to your own liking. You will visit the neighborhoods where all the ďTroublesĒ occurred in the past. Very informative, interesting and downright moving.

  5. #5
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,524

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    It's a trip you'll never forget. My dad and I went in '16.

    Another recommendation I'd make is Crumlin Rd Gaol, a former prison during the troubles. Very interesting tour there.

    Will echo the Titanic Museum and Rockies Sports bar. Both were highlights of our trip. If you venture to Rockies, ask for Jim (the owner) and if it isn't busy, he might give you a bit of a tour of his memorabilia collection (extremely vast).

    We really enjoyed Belfast, spent 3-4 days there and Dublin each. Great people, great event and a great time.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,348

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosmo King View Post
    Do yourself a favor and take in a Black Cab Tour while in Belfast. You can customize the length of the tour to your own liking. You will visit the neighborhoods where all the “Troubles” occurred in the past. Very informative, interesting and downright moving.
    We are taking a walking tour concerning the troubles. There are two guides, one for the Catholic side and another for the Protestant side, both guides are ex political prisoners from that time. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Expecting high fortys each day.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    6,493

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    It's a trip you'll never forget. My dad and I went in '16.

    Another recommendation I'd make is Crumlin Rd Gaol, a former prison during the troubles. Very interesting tour there.

    Will echo the Titanic Museum and Rockies Sports bar. Both were highlights of our trip. If you venture to Rockies, ask for Jim (the owner) and if it isn't busy, he might give you a bit of a tour of his memorabilia collection (extremely vast).

    We really enjoyed Belfast, spent 3-4 days there and Dublin each. Great people, great event and a great time.
    Everyone that's made the trip has raved about it. I'm still kicking myself for not making the trip when Lowell was involved in the first tourney. Hopefully the River Hawks will make a return trip.

  8. #8
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,861

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Iím already here. Have a work thing in Dublin this week. Spending the weekend in London before heading back here to join the trip. Two locals have told me about the Black Cab tour so I will check it out!

  9. #9
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,081

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Iím already here. Have a work thing in Dublin this week. Spending the weekend in London before heading back here to join the trip. Two locals have told me about the Black Cab tour so I will check it out!
    Still managing to align your work trips around your BU hockey needs I see...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  10. #10
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,081

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    Bump...game day.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  11. #11
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    So no trip reports or random stories from those who made the trip?
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,348

    Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

    I attended both Yale games. On Friday the place was about 75% full with about 80% of the audience being school children from around the country. I would think that the organizers most likely gave away these tickets. It made for a very different crowd than we are used to. The Northern Irish school groups each had a team to cheer for, they were VERY enthusiastic and loud, I told my wife I had never heard so much screaming since I brought my daughters to a Hanson concert back in the day. Attendance was about 6K each day. Both Union and Yale played very hard and both goalies stole the show. I believe Yale took advantage of the larger international ice surface to avoid traps mid ice. The shootout was anticlimatic for Yale obviously. The second day was more families and only a few school groups. The Yale UConn game was closer than the final score showed. Yale wore UConn down with the forecheck and that was the difference. I did not take advantage of the "official" travel package, but we spent six wonderful days touring the north. The weather was cool, but the rain held off for the middle four days making the trip very enjoyable.
    Last edited by LTsatch; 11-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •