2018 Midterms 2: I Need A Drink!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Midterms 2: I Need A Drink!

Why is Rick Scott and President Trump turning us into a Banana Republic by claiming elections are being stolen without evidence? Why do they hate America?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Gerrymandering is bad. When either party does it. There are examples of democrats taking advantage of it but republicans have raised it to an art form. Without gerrymandering, the U.S. House would probably have remained in the hands of the Democratic party in recent years and this year's election would have been a disaster for republicans instead of just a sound defeat.

North Carolina is a perfect example. Despite a clear majority of congressional votes going to democrats this year, republicans will hold 10 of North Carolina's 13 House seats. Similar vote totals in 2016 (democrats took just under half the vote) yielded the same democratic-republican breakdown. Ohio suffers from the same gerrymandered mis-representation. In 2016 approximately 42% of votes for the U.S. House went to democrats yet just 4 of the 16 Ohio seats were won by democrats. This year it was even worse. Democrats won 48% of all house votes but Ohio will still send the same 4 democrats from the same 4 districts to Washington.

Ohio will be a reliably red state for the next generation at least as far as the presidential races and most statewide elections. But fairly drawn districts in both state and federal House races would yield a much more equitable and accurate representation of the people's voting choices. While I feel like all of the electoral work I have done since the summer was wasted (a red sweep of state races and the only state-wide ballot measure failed, despite my wishes) I at least am happy that Ohio did pass a measure to combat the horrible gerrymandering in this state last May that my organization worked to craft and get on the ballot. Fairly drawn districts would likely send at least 6 and probably 7 (if not even 8 because it is impossible to draw districts perfectly) Representatives to Washington and would prevent a veto-proof majority in the State House and Senate. If Ohio democrats ever manage to field a governor's candidate with an actual pulse and some fire that will matter.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        Gerrymandering is bad. When either party does it. There are examples of democrats taking advantage of it but republicans have raised it to an art form. Without gerrymandering, the U.S. House would probably have remained in the hands of the Democratic party in recent years and this year's election would have been a disaster for republicans instead of just a sound defeat.

North Carolina is a perfect example. Despite a clear majority of congressional votes going to democrats this year, republicans will hold 10 of North Carolina's 13 House seats. Similar vote totals in 2016 (democrats took just under half the vote) yielded the same democratic-republican breakdown. Ohio suffers from the same gerrymandered mis-representation. In 2016 approximately 42% of votes for the U.S. House went to democrats yet just 4 of the 16 Ohio seats were won by democrats. This year it was even worse. Democrats won 48% of all house votes but Ohio will still send the same 4 democrats from the same 4 districts to Washington.

Ohio will be a reliably red state for the next generation at least as far as the presidential races and most statewide elections. But fairly drawn districts in both state and federal House races would yield a much more equitable and accurate representation of the people's voting choices. While I feel like all of the electoral work I have done since the summer was wasted (a red sweep of state races and the only state-wide ballot measure failed, despite my wishes) I at least am happy that Ohio did pass a measure to combat the horrible gerrymandering in this state last May that my organization worked to craft and get on the ballot. Fairly drawn districts would likely send at least 6 and probably 7 (if not even 8 because it is impossible to draw districts perfectly) Representatives to Washington and would prevent a veto-proof majority in the State House and Senate. If Ohio democrats ever manage to field a governor's candidate with an actual pulse and some fire that will matter.
        So some good news on that front since Dems have finally smartened up and stopped waiting for the SCOTUS to ban gerrymandering. For example:

AZ: Citizens referendum put map drawing in hands of independent commission. Goopers sued but lost mildly surprising decision with SCOTUS. AZ delegation is now 5/4 Dems in an evenly divided state in 2018.

FL: Again citizens put anti incumbent protection law on the books. Goopers sued and lost. Now delegation is 15/14 GOP in evenly divided state.

PA: Dems sued to state supreme court and won to redraw lines. SCOTUS declined to intervene. Result, a 9/9 delegation.
        In 2018, redistricting law passed in MI. Delegation now 7/7 I believe and on borrowed time. Dems will also control redistricting for PA due to Gov and Court majority. One seat away in House and Senate from controlling VA. In North Carolina, Dems winning state supreme court means maps are also in trouble as similar lawsuit as PA should take care of that.

Having said all that the lines in WI, GA, TX and OH are no doubt costing us seats (as are IL and MD ones benefitting Dems). Not sure if any remedy is in the works for GA and TX. Time will tell if OH Republicans truly voted to take away their own redistricting advantage. In WI I suspect it will take winning control of the state supreme court in 2020.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Time will tell if OH Republicans truly voted to take away their own redistricting advantage.
          The districts will have to be drawn in a way that get the approval of 60% of the state house and senate, including at least half of the minority party. If they can't do that, the task shifts to a 7 person commission -- 2 R lawmakers, 2 D lawmakers and the governor, sec of state and state auditor and they will have to get at least one vote from the minority party. If that fails, it reverts back to the legislators but they will have to follow strict rules about how they draw the districts and they will last just 4 years instead of full ten years until a new census. There is still room for shenanigans, but both parties supported these changes and I have hope it will actually result in districts drawn fairly.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Are there countless democrats calling for McSally to just go ahead and concede or is everyone just waiting patiently for the ballot count to wrap up? Contrast that with Florida and Georgia, where plenty of republicans are screaming for democratic party challengers to go ahead and concede.

If memory serves, when trump took office he had a 52-48 majority in the Senate (46 Ds and 2 Is who caucused with the Ds). When this plays out he will (most likely) have a 53-47 majority. This despite an extremely difficult map for democrats to protect in 2018. A one seat pick-up is defined as "winning?"

When all is said, done, and counted democrats will have likely picked up at least 35 and perhaps as many as 40 seats in the House. A 1% improvement is seen as "winning?" What the hell is a 9% improvement? My joy on election day was tempered because of an across-the-board whupping of candidates I campaigned for in Ohio. But in a lot of places in the other 49 states this was a solid day for the good guys.

Now the democrats in the House need to use the purse strings to thwart trump whenever they can, conduct real oversight into his transgressions via hearings and subpoena, and put forth legislation on taxes, jobs and healthcare (regardless of their chances of passage) that help the working and middle classes. I've been saying for two years now we had two elections to save the country. We made a decent start with 2018. A similar score in 2020 (with a much more favorable senate map) would go a long way to at least postponing the apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                If memory serves, when trump took office he had a 52-48 majority in the Senate (46 Ds and 2 Is who caucused with the Ds). When this plays out he will (most likely) have a 53-47 majority. This despite an extremely difficult map for democrats to protect in 2018. A one seat pick-up is defined as "winning?"

When all is said, done, and counted democrats will have likely picked up at least 35 and perhaps as many as 40 seats in the House. A 1% improvement is seen as "winning?" What the hell is a 9% improvement? My joy on election day was tempered because of an across-the-board whupping of candidates I campaigned for in Ohio. But in a lot of places in the other 49 states this was a solid day for the good guys.
                Another way to look at it is the Dems will have gone 23/33 in Senate races. That's a pretty **** good result; the only problem was they went 24/33 the last time around, so it gets missed by comparison.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

While I think Nelson will lose cant count him out yet and the Mississippi special election could get interesting if the Republican keeps making ridiculous statements like the one I posted this morning. I wouldnt put any money on it mind you but the "big victory" isnt in the bag just yet for His Golden Showerness.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Rick Scott has no evidence of corruption in the recount: https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status...40176053182464

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      Rick Scott has no evidence of corruption in the recount: https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status...40176053182464
                      Of course not. Entire idea is to get the idiot GOP voters to repeat that there is fraud and rile up the base.

Comment

The stupid thing is they dont need to say any of this...the odds are in their favor. The more they whine the worse they look.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

But her emails!!

Florida county and email...republican county, don’t hear republicans yelling about this

https://www.newsandguts.com/florida-...email-ballots/
                          Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 11-12-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but those ballots shouldn't count.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Anyone who thinks the Republic is salvageable only look at the signs in Florida that say Voter Fraud on them.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Sinema declared winner of AZ

Comment

Working...
                                X