This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

Seriously people in here need to learn to read...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I'm an NPC. I don't know how.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Or Brent could stop ****ting up every thread.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          I'm free to voice my opinion, which may differ from yours, which you are stating is "****ting up every thread." Far from true, btw. Show me facts. And studies. And scientists. And researchers. Show me where they back your statement up.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            What he said was pretty easy to understand until you and Rufus decided to ignore what he posted so you could spout your talking points.

The only ones screwing up every thread are the ones reading half a post and then getting on soapboxes. At least Scooby is in the conversation the rest of you are just trolling from the cheap seats.

You will of course deny and deflect so I am not even sure why I responded to you but whatever.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh look Handy is defending Brent's trolling again, how shocking.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I'm free to voice my opinion, which may differ from yours, which you are stating is "****ting up every thread." Far from true, btw. Show me facts. And studies. And scientists. And researchers. Show me where they back your statement up.
              All you have to do is look up the gun deaths of every other developed country compared to USA. And then look at the laws of those countries vs ours.

From there we can either say, "gee our gun laws are so great despite all evidence proving otherwise" or we can try to enact change.
              Last edited by trixR4kids; 11-11-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Oh look Handy is defending Brent's trolling again, how shocking.
                Who's trolling? I'm stating what I think. Oh, wait, it's trolling because you happen to disagree with what I say. How about engaging in discussion, as much as it may pain you. I will give Scoobs credit in stating his opinion and discussing things.

And if YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, I've suggested quite a few changes in our gun laws.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Fine, don't believe me. Even if I presented a full demonstration of facts and data, and polls of people, I doubt you'd believe me anyway.
                  Statistics can be made to prove anything - even the truth. ~Author Unknown
                  There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up. ~Rex Stout, Death of a Doxy
                  Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable. ~Mark Twain
                  This article is a good read concerning gun statistics. TMWDR: Both sides pick and choose the statistics to say whatever they want them to.

EXAMPLE: The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns. This was based on this article but refuted by this one.
                  "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                  Groucho Marx
                  "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                  Ron White
                  "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                  Milo Bloom

Comment

Gun stats are tough because NRA shuts down any attempted study (something that Scooby and I agree on). So it's on to polling the people, which is unreliable: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9f4ba6b23108

Comment

All you have to do is look up the gun deaths of every other developed country compared to USA. And then look at the laws of those countries vs ours.
                      https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3238736
                      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                      Groucho Marx
                      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                      Ron White
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                        Won't happen in the next 25 years without a huge sea change in the attitudes of those protecting the gun manufacturers.

Perhaps that change will come from law enforcement. In Pittsburgh and in Thousand Oaks cops rushed in immediately and tried to do what they could to stop the shooters. One was killed in Thousand Oaks and a number were wounded in Pittsburgh, including one very seriously injured.

What this proves is even highly trained good guys with guns can't prevent massive casualties and sometimes will give their lives in the attempt. If law enforcement officers take up the cause of sane, effective gun control even reluctant politicians may need to finally offer more than thoughts and prayers.

Sadly though the carnage will need to continue and many, many more cops will probably die before even this happens. The shooters will learn that from one corner of the country to the other, cops are being instructed to engage immediately in a mass shooting incident, and we are seeing them do just that more and more. So the shooters are going to prepare for this and to be sure, at one of these incidents the number of officers killed is going to alarm even the most ardent opponents of sane and effective gun control.

The officer in Thousand Oaks was a near-30 year veteran of law enforcement, working for an agency with extremely high standards and extensive training. I can't imagine a more effective good guy with a gun. He saved lives but paid for our stupidity with his.
                        No its not. If they can ignore an elementary school full of children they will find an excuse or many to find a reason for why it shouldn't matter.
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        The predominant gun safety organization in the United States just vilified doctors for even bringing the subject up. I do not understand how these people can be mad or upset at liberals for saying they don't deserve their toys. They deserve to have them taken away. When safety, and common sense laws are the last things on the NRA and gun owners minds.

They care about neither.

If they cared they would be active in the political arena on fixing this **** so they can keep their toys. Instead their answer to the problem the last 10 years is conceal and carry and armed guards in elementary schools.

Rome is burning.
                        This has been on the Public Health sector's radar screen since I was in nursing school in 1978. Stats, private studies, etc all sorts of data. It gets no traction because money and capitalism is way more important than making intelligent public health decisions. (this goes for guns, lack of mental health care, healthcare, early intervention and other education- all of which impact how much we spend compared to other countries).

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        And the other side hasn’t changed? The NRA deserves some blame, but Bloomberg and the other anti-gunners are just as much if not more radical. Myself and other gun owners would like to see some things changed, the problem is that once that happens Bloomberg and co will be pushing for more extreme measures until guns are effectively banned. Like a lot of other issues there are too many extremists and the country suffers.
                        Please explain to me how this has anything to do with the point I made. The NRA used to be an awesome organization that promoted safety and encouraged it. They were also on board with regs that would promote safety in a reasonable way.... until they pimped themself out to the manufacturers. They have had an increasingly illogical campaign against promoting safety and simultaneously creating the narrative that you live in society that you need to carry to protect yourself. Honestly it is a sad statement that people are willing to believe that narrative against all the stats showing the risk increases when you do this. I see things like your post about needing to protect yourself from all the boogeymen and feel a sense of pity. It must be really lousy to live in that world believing that way.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I was thinking that. I have no idea how to post memes in here but the ones with the 'what you were saying' 'what other people are hearing' would be beautiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                          This article is a good read concerning gun statistics. TMWDR: Both sides pick and choose the statistics to say whatever they want them to.

EXAMPLE: The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns. This was based on this article but refuted by this one.
                          So here's an interesting question. What is your opinion on the NRA waging a social media war against physicians who ask about guns in the home?

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            Says Foxton 2.

Comment

Who's trolling? I'm stating what I think. Oh, wait, it's trolling because you happen to disagree with what I say. How about engaging in discussion, as much as it may pain you. I will give Scoobs credit in stating his opinion and discussing things.

And if YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, I've suggested quite a few changes in our gun laws.
                              No, saying both sides are extremists because one side wants sane gun laws and the other is basically a bunch of right wing nutjobs funded by Russian right wing nut jobs and nazis, is trolling.

Telling everyone else to do research after you stated that you could totally own Scooby with all these hypothetical stats and figures that you don't have, and he supposedly wouldn't change his mind if those existed and is therefore one of the "extremists", is also trolling.
                              Good thing there's been more than one study that's ever been done on how our gun deaths compare to the rest of the developed world!
                              Last edited by trixR4kids; 11-11-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                So here's an interesting question. What is your opinion on the NRA waging a social media war against physicians who ask about guns in the home?
                                Simple. They're wrong.
                                It's definitely a public health issue especially in the pediatric population. Just like a good pediatrician should talk about, vaccines,car seats, etc., they should speak with parents about gun safety.
                                Groucho Marx
                                Ron White
                                Milo Bloom

Comment

Working...
                                X