X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Brent has been consistent about his proposals. Drew has mostly murmured about "mental health checks", while simultaneously defending Trump's end to Obama's policy on dementia patients being denied guns, so that tells you all you need to know about Drew's opinion.
    He has a bright spot here and there, so I have to give credit where credit is due. I don't like his overall position.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Representative Swalwell was surely just kidding around when he said, "The government has nukes", in response to the posit that not everyone would willing accept confiscation by force.

Not his finest hour.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/16/r...un-confiscatio

https://www.google.com/search?q=cong...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I think Swalwell may have, for the first time in over one hundred weeks, knocked POTUS out of the "worst elected official Tweet of the week" number one ranking.
      Glad to see someone is stepping up. And he's right. Morons that think they're going to 2nd Amendment Remedy the government collecting their guns are nuts.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        How do you define this? I have asked a few avid 'don't take my guns' folk this question and also to give suggestions of what they would consider reasonable regulations regarding ownership. I have never gotten an answer. (going on about 5 yrs now). If I get any acknowledgement at all it is an immediate response about the slippery slope but no answer that could be constructive. So maybe you can answer. What do you think would be reasonable as a way to increase safety while preserving the right to own?

Yes.

I really don't get the rabid opposition to requiring licensing, to make sure people know safety and how to care for a gun. My kid pointed out he could legally buy a gun in some places before he could drink or rent a car. His opinion about that was.... not favorable.
        Sorry, I've had a busy few days and never got a chance to respond to this. This is wishful thinking, but it would be nice if some non-partisan, informed panel would revise our gun laws. It will never happen though. There is way too much extremism on both sides.

As far as what I would like to see, I've said multiple times there should be some sort of waiting period to buy a gun. A week or something like that would be good and hopefully would let people cool off if they're buying a gun with the intent to harm themselves or others. People who have dementia or something that could lead them to cause harm to themselves or others shouldn't have guns(they should be confiscated in a safe and responsible manner, not a bunch of cops knocking down someone's door.) There should be some sort of national licensing scheme, you wouldn't necessarily have to have one to own a gun, but it would make it easier for people who shoot, hunt, etc. It would ensure that people are safely trained and hopefully weed out some of the people who have mental health issues.

This is somewhat beside the issue, but there should be more done to protect domestic violence/potential domestic violence victims. I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but it should be done.

The goal of any new gun regulations should be to reduce gun deaths overall, not to stop the mass shooting events. The bottom line is what counts not random events.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Thanks folks. I guess I didn't read far enough back.

In UK they need to keep guns at a gun club, not at home. I would love to see something like storage lockers only have it be for guns. This would be great for things like Vets who struggle at times and have an informal system of handing over their guns to someone safe when they feel they aren't safe, folks who like to hunt, etc. Safe place to keep them, easily accessible when you want them. .

Comment

Active shooter at a hospital in So. Chicago.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

And Denver had a shooting tonight.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Active shooter at a hospital in So. Chicago.
                Did the doctors stay in their lane?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Did the doctors stay in their lane?
                  I hope so. They really stepped out of line before.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It was not a result of mental instability and would not show up in any databases. It was not the cause of computer game violence. It was not caused by some medication. It was not a gang banger getting illegal access to a gun. The hospital shooter went on a rampage because he was angry.

At what point can we just say that the shooter killed because he had a gun?
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

At what point can we just say that the shooter killed because he had a gun?
                      For people with sufficient critical thinking skills and a little bit of common sense, we arrived at that point when the firearm was first invented. For a large subset of American society though, that point will never see their arrival. Look at how many people lost loved ones in the Las Vegas shooting from last Fall. I heard a number of interviews with fathers and other relatives of victims who did not think our gun laws played much of a part -- if any part at all. If seeing your daughter in a hospital bed, with tubes sticking in her all over her body is not enough for you to think something big needs to change, there is literally nothing that will bring you around. Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                        For people with sufficient critical thinking skills and a little bit of common sense, we arrived at that point when the firearm was first invented. For a large subset of American society though, that point will never see their arrival. Look at how many people lost loved ones in the Las Vegas shooting from last Fall. I heard a number of interviews with fathers and other relatives of victims who did not think our gun laws played much of a part -- if any part at all. If seeing your daughter in a hospital bed, with tubes sticking in her all over her body is not enough for you to think something big needs to change, there is literally nothing that will bring you around. Nothing.
                        This. Denial is the most potent drug known to human kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          This. Denial is the most potent drug known to human kind.
                          Hell it is.

Comment

Our Truth
                            By Sandra Parks

'Sometimes, I sit back and I have to escape from what I see and hear every day. I put my headphones on and let the music take me away. I move to the beat and try to think about life and what everything means. When I do; I come to the same conclusion … we are in a state of chaos. In the city in which I live, I hear and see examples of chaos almost everyday. Little children are victims of senseless gun violence. There is too much black on black crime. As an African-American, that makes me feel depressed. Many people have Lost faith in America and its ability to be a living example of Dr. King’s dream!

The truth is faith and hope in what people can do, has been lost in the poor choices we make. We shall overcome has been lost in the lie of who we have become! So now, the real truth is, we need to rewrite our story so that faith and hope for a better tomorrow, is not only within us, but we believe it and we put it into actions.

Our first truth is that we must start caring about each other. We need to be empathetic and try to walk in each other’s shoes. We shall overcome when we eliminate the negative and nasty comments people make about each other. We shall overcome, when we love ourselves and the people around us. Then, we become our brothers keeper.

Our second truth is that we need to have purpose. We are the future generation, therefore we must have an education to make a positive difference in the world. We are the future leaders, but if we don’t have an education, we will accomplish nothing. We will overcome, when we use our education to make the world a better place. We will become the next President, law enforcement officers, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and law makers. We cannot continue to put the responsibility on other people. It is our responsibility as future leaders!

We must not allow the lies of violence, racism, and prejudice to be our truth. The truth begins with us. Instead of passing each other like ships in the night, we must fight until our truths stretch to the ends of the world.'

The award winning essay by a 13 yo Sandra Parks - who said 'Mama, I'm shot' and then died in her living room due to a gun shot wound. Brent, Drew, how about now?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

The award winning essay by a 13 yo Sandra Parks - who said 'Mama, I'm shot' and then died in her living room due to a gun shot wound. Brent, Drew, how about now?
                              It's cute that you think they'll change their minds.

Comment

Our Truth
                                By Sandra Parks

'Sometimes, I sit back and I have to escape from what I see and hear every day. I put my headphones on and let the music take me away. I move to the beat and try to think about life and what everything means. When I do; I come to the same conclusion … we are in a state of chaos. In the city in which I live, I hear and see examples of chaos almost everyday. Little children are victims of senseless gun violence. There is too much black on black crime. As an African-American, that makes me feel depressed. Many people have Lost faith in America and its ability to be a living example of Dr. King’s dream!

The truth is faith and hope in what people can do, has been lost in the poor choices we make. We shall overcome has been lost in the lie of who we have become! So now, the real truth is, we need to rewrite our story so that faith and hope for a better tomorrow, is not only within us, but we believe it and we put it into actions.

Our first truth is that we must start caring about each other. We need to be empathetic and try to walk in each other’s shoes. We shall overcome when we eliminate the negative and nasty comments people make about each other. We shall overcome, when we love ourselves and the people around us. Then, we become our brothers keeper.

Our second truth is that we need to have purpose. We are the future generation, therefore we must have an education to make a positive difference in the world. We are the future leaders, but if we don’t have an education, we will accomplish nothing. We will overcome, when we use our education to make the world a better place. We will become the next President, law enforcement officers, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and law makers. We cannot continue to put the responsibility on other people. It is our responsibility as future leaders!

We must not allow the lies of violence, racism, and prejudice to be our truth. The truth begins with us. Instead of passing each other like ships in the night, we must fight until our truths stretch to the ends of the world.'

The fact that the girl who wrote that entry was killed by a bullet should have no more or less weight that a girl or boy killed by a bullet who couldn't write an essay like that. Your post is, ultimately, irrelevant to the overall discussion except as an attempt to make a purely emotional plea.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X