Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence @ RPI 11/3/18 Do Not Forget to turn back the clock!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Lawrence @ RPI 11/3/18 Do Not Forget to turn back the clock!!

MEN'S GAME RESET

Time: FINAL

Score:
    T RPI: //
    _ SLU: //

Power Plays:
    RPI: //
    SLU: //

Comment

We keep playing with a lot of energy. If we ever start to finish our chances, we will be hard to beat.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Give the boys all the credit. They saved their best for the last period. kept control of the puck in the offensive zone almost forever (usually we say that about every opponent). Good win, needed win, now let's move on to a very difficult weekend. I have seen Princeton and they are for real and we know that QU is a top team.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Give the boys all the credit. They saved their best for the last period. kept control of the puck in the offensive zone almost forever (usually we say that about every opponent). Good win, needed win, now let's move on to a very difficult weekend. I have seen Princeton and they are for real and we know that QU is a top team.
          QU got spanked by Dartmouth tonight. This might be interesting...

Comment

I'll be in Hobey Baker on Saturday...they do make things fun
            JPC '96

Comment

Originally posted by John Cloninger RPI 96 View Post
              I'll be in Hobey Baker on Saturday...they do make things fun
              FlagDUDETTE and I might go down; we'll see how we feel about it.

Comment

I left after after the GWG.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

next week

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-amp-11-10-18)
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    QU got spanked by Dartmouth tonight. This might be interesting...
                    Early season ECAC results all over the lot! Going to be a fun season.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      OK, what did he see on the replay that was conclusive that it wasn't under his pads in the net?
                      When he butterflied, the tops of the goalie’s pads (the part above the knee) formed an inverted “v” and you could clearly see the puck on the ice in the center of it via the overhead shot. What the ref saw from behind the net to make him think it was a goal I haven’t a clue........

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence @ RPI 11/3/18 Do Not Forget to turn back the clock!!

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                        When he butterflied, the tops of the goalie’s pads (the part above the knee) formed an inverted “v” and you could clearly see the puck on the ice in the center of it via the overhead shot. What the ref saw from behind the net to make him think it was a goal I haven’t a clue........
                        I don't know if the puck was in or not. But the referees job is to watch the puck. If he cannot see it, he should blow the play dead. If he points to the net, that means he sees the puck it the net. Once he points, there should be no review, unless the coach asks for it.
                        I did not get any information that SLU asked for the review. I am sure that he made a mistake, but referees make mistakes all the time. With no coaches challenge, that should have been a goal.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          I don't know if the puck was in or not. But the referees job is to watch the puck. If he cannot see it, he should blow the play dead. If he points to the net, that means he sees the puck it the net. Once he points, there should be no review, unless the coach asks for it.
                          I did not get any information that SLU asked for the review. I am sure that he made a mistake, but referees make mistakes all the time. With no coaches challenge, that should have been a goal.
                          Sometimes refs are apprehensive about blowing the play dead because of the "intent to blow the whistle" rule, which nullifies even good reviewed goals, since the rules state the play is over once the whistle goes. It's Mastrangelo behind the goal, whom I haven't seen ref for us before so I'm going to assume he's new, so I'll cut him some slack since there's a bit of a learning curve. The highlights video shows the play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5x5k7yIa9M . Play starts at about 4:33, you can see the puck go across the crease and into the butterflied pads. Now, let's rewind back to RPI's first goal, a similar jam try, where we put the puck under the leg of the goaltender, you have McDonald back there (I know I grumble whenever we get him, but he is an experienced ref), once the goalie lifts his leg a little, he sees the puck, and calls a good goal. Perhaps Mastrangelo thought the exact same thing happened, especially with the nature of a wrap-around. Even going frame by frame I almost missed the puck going across the crease into the pads, and he was still over by the boards (although on the proper side to see it happen) so may also have missed that. For the sake of fairness, because I know the exact same thing could very well happen to us when another team is trying to jam the puck home, he took the time to get it right, which is completely within the rules of the game (and should still be IMO), made the correct call in the end, and I know he's going to learn from this in making future on-ice decisions.

I know the old timers hate the replay and the circumstances behind bringing one up, but it's now a part of the game that we have to live with, and we've seen the repercussions behind its limitations for key plays in many sports. I see no issue with the replay rules as written at this point, and the conduct was proper in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Sometimes refs are apprehensive about blowing the play dead because of the "intent to blow the whistle" rule, which nullifies even good reviewed goals, since the rules state the play is over once the whistle goes. It's Mastrangelo behind the goal, whom I haven't seen ref for us before so I'm going to assume he's new, so I'll cut him some slack since there's a bit of a learning curve. The highlights video shows the play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5x5k7yIa9M . Play starts at about 4:33, you can see the puck go across the crease and into the butterflied pads. Now, let's rewind back to RPI's first goal, a similar jam try, where we put the puck under the leg of the goaltender, you have McDonald back there (I know I grumble whenever we get him, but he is an experienced ref), once the goalie lifts his leg a little, he sees the puck, and calls a good goal. Perhaps Mastrangelo thought the exact same thing happened, especially with the nature of a wrap-around. Even going frame by frame I almost missed the puck going across the crease into the pads, and he was still over by the boards (although on the proper side to see it happen) so may also have missed that. For the sake of fairness, because I know the exact same thing could very well happen to us when another team is trying to jam the puck home, he took the time to get it right, which is completely within the rules of the game (and should still be IMO), made the correct call in the end, and I know he's going to learn from this in making future on-ice decisions.

I know the old timers hate the replay and the circumstances behind bringing one up, but it's now a part of the game that we have to live with, and we've seen the repercussions behind its limitations for key plays in many sports. I see no issue with the replay rules as written at this point, and the conduct was proper in my view.
                            You still don't get it. Once he points to the net, it is a goal. If it is challenged, then review it, and I have no problem with that. But with no challenge, that is a goal. Replay is fine, and I have no problem with it. If he is not sure of his call, he needs to be replaced.
                            The review process isn't there for referee indecision. He was wrong when he pointed, and he was wrong again when he went to review the play. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. I am just glad that we won the game anyway.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              You still don't get it. Once he points to the net, it is a goal. If it is challenged, then review it, and I have no problem with that. But with no challenge, that is a goal. Replay is fine, and I have no problem with it. If he is not sure of his call, he needs to be replaced.
                              The review process isn't there for referee indecision. He was wrong when he pointed, and he was wrong again when he went to review the play. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. I am just glad that we won the game anyway.
                              Indeed, exactly the way I see it. The ref pointed with authority that it was a goal. I could give two hoots whether it is reviewed or not. Upon review there has to be absolutely concrete evidence to overturn the call on the ice. If the ref had made no goal call, then you would have to have the review prove it was a goal. In this case his clear signal was a goal from his vantage point right behind the net. His eyes were in perfect position to make the call. Unless the review showed clear and convincing evidence that his eyes were lying, then that was a goal and should have stood.
                              Perhaps EHF and I are considered old timers, but we both are very much aware of the rules and how replay is supposed to be used when a call has been clearly made on the ice. I hate all sports where scoring is left to interpretation (judging sports like diving, gymnastics, figure skating, etc.). Video and tape should not be used to interpret. Just to confirm or overturn based on evidence that the call made was CLEARLY made in error.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                Indeed, exactly the way I see it. The ref pointed with authority that it was a goal. I could give two hoots whether it is reviewed or not. Upon review there has to be absolutely concrete evidence to overturn the call on the ice. If the ref had made no goal call, then you would have to have the review prove it was a goal. In this case his clear signal was a goal from his vantage point right behind the net. His eyes were in perfect position to make the call. Unless the review showed clear and convincing evidence that his eyes were lying, then that was a goal and should have stood.
                                Perhaps EHF and I are considered old timers, but we both are very much aware of the rules and how replay is supposed to be used when a call has been clearly made on the ice. I hate all sports where scoring is left to interpretation (judging sports like diving, gymnastics, figure skating, etc.). Video and tape should not be used to interpret. Just to confirm or overturn based on evidence that the call made was CLEARLY made in error.
                                The review was indeed very clear that it was not a goal. No interpretation whatsoever. They got it right after the replay.

If someone isn't happy with the fact that the referee is permitted to choose to review goal/no-goal or game misconduct on penalties, then that person should probably write to the ECAC rep of the rules committee, and they'll consider it in two years. Yes, we've won championships and lost rivalry games on missed calls, but why should we be beholden to that in perpetuity? Let's have a fair game within reason for all parties concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X