Best Instrumentalists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    What's the difference between instrumentalist vocalist and simply vocalist/singer?
    What's the difference between an instrumentalist guitarist and a guitarist/guitar player?
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Re: Best Instrumentalists?

Yes, vocals are an instrument. You can practice/train with them, therefore they're an instrument. Doesn't mean you can't be born with a leg up on talent, though.

Vocalists not mentioned: Geoff Tate, Chris Cornell, Rob Tyner, James Hetfield, Jeff Keith, and since I'm a bit ashamed I haven't named any women yet, let's go with Shirley Manson, Dusty Springfield, Mia Zapata, and if we're delving into other genres, then I'll add Annie Lennox and Mary Chapin Carpenter.

Aretha, Diana, and Whitney don't even need mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        What's the difference between an instrumentalist guitarist and a guitarist/guitar player?
        I don't know. I'm asking.

Comment

Dan Kubinski for vocals, he and Cornell were shredders!

https://youtu.be/efrVb2Ec-zU
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Dan Kubinski for vocals, he and Cornell were shredders!

https://youtu.be/efrVb2Ec-zU
            For vocalists, there are singers (Aretha, Prince, Freddie), and then there are wailers (Bon, Janis, Cornell). It's a difference in detail, but a big difference in definition, IMO.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              For vocalists, there are singers (Aretha, Prince, Freddie), and then there are wailers (Bon, Janis, Cornell). It's a difference in detail, but a big difference in definition, IMO.
              True. We should define the parameters of the argument more narrowly then? I agree on Aretha, Prince, Freddie, MJ (not mentioned yet), Adele, and hey! Streisand has a hell of a voice and now that o think of it, fuggen Art Garfunkel was great!
              Last edited by solovsfett; 10-28-2018, 10:40 PM.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

That's very true. I thought about making that comparison between Tate and Cornell, TBH, as I feel Tate was more balanced.

I also feel like Myles Kennedy is the well-rounded best of the former two, with a strong whiff of Jeff Buckley on the lighter stuff.

While we're on the topic, I was just listening to The Bangles, and I feel like we can add Michael "Micki" Steele to the list of bassists (she previously bolted from The Runaways when she sensed that Kim Fowley was going to be a piece of sh*t - which he was). Some of those tracks on Different Light have a strong bass element that would ruin the song without it, particularly "Walk Like an Egyptian".
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-28-2018, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  That's very true. I thought about making that comparison between Tate and Cornell, TBH, as I feel Tate was more balanced.

I also feel like Myles Kennedy is the well-rounded best of the former two, with a strong whiff of Jeff Buckley on the lighter stuff.

While we're on the topic, I was just listening to The Bangles, and I feel like we can add Michael "Micki" Steele to the list of bassists (she previously bolted from The Runaways when she sensed that Kim Fowley was going to be a piece of sh*t - which he was). Some of those tracks on Different Light have a strong bass element that would ruin the song without it, particularly "Walk Like an Egyptian".
                  IMO, and here we go, have at it, it's tougher to be a great wailer. There has to be that balance of screaming/wailing, and singing. Watched the "90s" series on CNN via Netflix, and someone put it perfectly: Kurt Cobain could scream in tune. That is the definition of a wailer.

Edit: "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" (Unplugged) is a good example of that.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

IMO, and here we go, have at it, it's tougher to be a great wailer. There has to be that balance of screaming/wailing, and singing. Watched the "90s" series on CNN via Netflix, and someone put it perfectly: Kurt Cobain could scream in tune. That is the definition of a wailer.

Edit: "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" (Unplugged) is a good example of that.
                    I've...I should say...grown to love Cobain, but that depends on your idea of "tune".

Comment

I've...I should say...grown to love Cobain, but that depends on your idea of "tune".
                      Fair point. Bon wailed in tune. Janis, same. Kurt, almost had it, I'd say close enough. There's a younger artist, Jade Bird, that won't reach HOF status or anything, but she can sing AND wail, and color me impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytDVXNOu06c

Come to think of it, the band of the moment, Greta Van Fleet wails. In tune.

Comment

Gin Wigmore.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Was watching a Chicago show from 1970, at Tanglewood, and the guy was a monster.

They were going wimpy before he died, but his death sealed the end of that band
                          Just bought that CD, another great tanglewood show is Santana, its a must watch.. Add Santana to great guitarists
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Are you saying the voice isn't an instrument?
                            Yes.

Why not just say best musical performers if you want to invlude singers?
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Yes, vocals are an instrument. You can practice/train with them, therefore they're an instrument. Doesn't mean you can't be born with a leg up on talent, though.
                              Merriam-Webster:

2a : a means whereby something is achieved, performed, or furthered

Vocal chords are an instrument. Sometimes, they're a gift of nature/genetics/a god/whatever you want to think. We're done here.

Comment

Layne Staley

https://youtu.be/qR0K0mmm6R4

Ann Wilson
                                https://youtu.be/HnhOv2PC68w

Comment

Working...
                                X