Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: D3 18-19 season

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    261

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Tough weekend for the Beacons! Swept by two teams they should typically have little trouble beating, and at home no less! Ouch!
    Last year, UMB was 0-1-1 v PSU. While, 2-0 v USM, they needed o.t. to win their 2nd game after falling behind 3-1. This season, USM raised my eyebrows when they tied Endicott 1-1. That goalie (#31) appears to be a brick wall in her 2 games so far (Endicott/UMB) w/ a scrooge-like 0.48 GAA/.989 SV%. PSU hasn't embarrassed themselves this season v FP, St. A's, and Norwich so they might be a team to watch.
    Last edited by Genbeau; 11-04-2018 at 06:55 AM.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,086

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Not to appear naÔve, but it seems to me the big leveler in woman's DIII has been goal play. Young goalies have received specialized coaching earlier in their career and have gotten further along their developmental arc than the snipers. Then some days the pucks look like basketballs, and their team is outshot 55-7 or some such, and they are still able to steal games. I think it has made so many more games I see exciting!

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Not to appear naÔve, but it seems to me the big leveler in woman's DIII has been goal play. Young goalies have received specialized coaching earlier in their career and have gotten further along their developmental arc than the snipers. Then some days the pucks look like basketballs, and their team is outshot 55-7 or some such, and they are still able to steal games. I think it has made so many more games I see exciting!
    I don't call a game where the shots are 55-7 exciting at all, no matter which team wins. It means one team is playing in their own zone for 90-95% of the game. That is NOT the definition of exciting hockey at any level. And if truth be told, I honestly don't like seeing box scores where the shots/play is so one-sided, but the dominant team loses something like 1-0 or 2-1. I feel that makes a bit of a mockery of our game. Yes, sometimes you run up against a hot goalie and she steals the game for her team, a team that otherwise looked pathetic on the ice. Yes it happens more in D3 than I saw or see in D1, but I still don't think that's a good thing for our game.
    Last edited by shelfit; 11-04-2018 at 12:39 PM.

  4. #24
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,130
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    I don't call a game where the shots are 55-7 exciting at all, no matter which team wins. It means one team is playing in their own zone for 90-95% of the game. That is NOT the definition of exciting hockey at any level. And if truth be told, I honestly don't like seeing box scores where the shots/play is so one-sided, but the dominant team loses something like 1-0 or 2-1. I feel that makes a bit of a mockery of our game. Yes, sometimes you run up against a hot goalie and she steals the game for her team, a team that otherwise looked pathetic on the ice. Yes it happens more in D3 than I saw or see in D1, but I still don't think that's a good thing for our game.
    For the general public or prospective student-athletes looking at d3 hockey that donít take the time or know how to go deeper into the boxscores of games, itís certainly a good thing for the growth of the game to have teams like Plymouth State and Neumann play 4-2 and 2-1 games against Elmira and Norwich rather than 9-0 and 8-1 blowouts.

    You can sell almost anything to prospective athletes when the scores are closer. Makes the pitch easier with the hope that you can not only play a lot right away, you can help be the tipping point to get that upset win over one of those teams and be a part of something special.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    For the general public or prospective student-athletes looking at d3 hockey that donít take the time or know how to go deeper into the boxscores of games, itís certainly a good thing for the growth of the game to have teams like Plymouth State and Neumann play 4-2 and 2-1 games against Elmira and Norwich rather than 9-0 and 8-1 blowouts.

    You can sell almost anything to prospective athletes when the scores are closer. Makes the pitch easier with the hope that you can not only play a lot right away, you can help be the tipping point to get that upset win over one of those teams and be a part of something special.
    No question your points are true but closer scores as a result of overall team improvement are much different than closer scores as a result of a goalie standing on her head while her team is only getting single digit shots on goal like obserbear referred to in his post. If you've ever been on either side of those games, they're not fun for the players on either team to play in, and they're not fun for the spectators to watch. That's why I said those types of games aren't good for our sport at either the D3 or D1 levels.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    287

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    No question your points are true but closer scores as a result of overall team improvement are much different than closer scores as a result of a goalie standing on her head while her team is only getting single digit shots on goal like obserbear referred to in his post. If you've ever been on either side of those games, they're not fun for the players on either team to play in, and they're not fun for the spectators to watch. That's why I said those types of games aren't good for our sport at either the D3 or D1 levels.

    Agreed, other than an occasional goalie stealing a game, these results are not good for the sport. It gives everyone (including coaches) the false impression that they're on the right track and close to competing with the Norwich's of the world when the truth is far from it.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Agreed, other than an occasional goalie stealing a game, these results are not good for the sport. It gives everyone (including coaches) the false impression that they're on the right track and close to competing with the Norwich's of the world when the truth is far from it.
    Exactly, thank you!

  8. #28
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,130
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    No question your points are true but closer scores as a result of overall team improvement are much different than closer scores as a result of a goalie standing on her head while her team is only getting single digit shots on goal like obserbear referred to in his post. If you've ever been on either side of those games, they're not fun for the players on either team to play in, and they're not fun for the spectators to watch. That's why I said those types of games aren't good for our sport at either the D3 or D1 levels.
    Correct.

    Iíll argue that Plymouth State has consistently been a thorn in Norwichís side for the last 3-4 seasons. Look at the scores. Theyíve been competing hard against NU consistently. The goalie is a big part of it but they work their tails off to make life difficult for NUís studs and they usually find ways to score a goal or two as well. Shots on goal numbers continue to get closer as well.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    933

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    And Plattsburgh takes down the defending champions Norwich 2-0 despite racking up a ton of penalty minutes. Norwich 0 for 8 on the power play, and Plattsburgh scores on a shorthanded goal from Millen and a power play goal from Katonka for insurance. Both teams came into the week 2nd in one poll and 3rd in another.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    And Plattsburgh takes down the defending champions Norwich 2-0 despite racking up a ton of penalty minutes. Norwich 0 for 8 on the power play, and Plattsburgh scores on a shorthanded goal from Millen and a power play goal from Katonka for insurance. Both teams came into the week 2nd in one poll and 3rd in another.
    Officiating was pretty sketchy.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Some calls were ticky tacky but Norwich got the benefit with 8 power plays compare to 5 for Platts. That said, Platts' forecheck caused problems all game. They were clearly the better team for at least this game. Also, Norwich had issues with Platts' speed.
    Last edited by Bar Down; 11-08-2018 at 03:12 PM.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    933

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Jillian Moffatt of Lebanon Valley College made her latest entry onto the single-game saves leaderboard yesterday, stopping 85 shots in a 3-0 loss to Elmira. This is her 10th performance of over 77 saves (the lowest amount on the records doc from the NCAA).
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    703

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Jillian Moffatt of Lebanon Valley College made her latest entry onto the single-game saves leaderboard yesterday, stopping 85 shots in a 3-0 loss to Elmira. This is her 10th performance of over 77 saves (the lowest amount on the records doc from the NCAA).
    How come Jillian doesn't receive any love from the coaches at season's end with some accolades? She has to be considered one of the best goalies in D3.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    933

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Polls are in today:

    In the USCHO poll, there are two changes. Plattsburgh and Norwich swap the 2 and 3 spot following the Cards' win over the Cadets last Wednesday. Plattsburgh then took the weekend off while Norwich beat USM 2-1 (A 45 save performance from USM's Whitney Padgett saved that scoreline). St. Thomas swaps the 9 spot for the 8 with GAC. St. Thomas swept St. Mary's while GAC swept St. Olaf.

    In the d3hockey.com poll, Norwich fell from 3 to 4 on their split week being compared to the new #4 Hamline's two drubbings of St. Benedict.

    The schedule for those who moved around the polls:
    Norwich: hosting NEC and Castleton Friday and Saturday
    Plattsburgh: home and home vs Potsdam on Friday and Saturday
    GAC and Hamline: home and home against each other
    St. Thomas: home and home against St. Catherine Friday and Saturday
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Polls are in today:

    In the USCHO poll, there are two changes. Plattsburgh and Norwich swap the 2 and 3 spot following the Cards' win over the Cadets last Wednesday. Plattsburgh then took the weekend off while Norwich beat USM 2-1 (A 45 save performance from USM's Whitney Padgett saved that scoreline). St. Thomas swaps the 9 spot for the 8 with GAC. St. Thomas swept St. Mary's while GAC swept St. Olaf.

    In the d3hockey.com poll, Norwich fell from 3 to 4 on their split week being compared to the new #4 Hamline's two drubbings of St. Benedict.

    The schedule for those who moved around the polls:
    Norwich: hosting NEC and Castleton Friday and Saturday
    Plattsburgh: home and home vs Potsdam on Friday and Saturday
    GAC and Hamline: home and home against each other
    St. Thomas: home and home against St. Catherine Friday and Saturday
    I have always felt a team that hasn't played yet should never be ranked in a weekly poll over teams that have been playing. Worse that Bill Manihaveanego is the coach of the team in question.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    933

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    I have always felt a team that hasn't played yet should never be ranked in a weekly poll over teams that have been playing. Worse that Bill Manihaveanego is the coach of the team in question.
    The problems is the voters base the first poll largely if not entirely off of the last poll of the previous season and none of them want to drop a team that hasn't lost even if they haven't lost because they haven't played. Doing a preseason poll that isn't based off of the last poll of the previous season would require an analysis of teams' recruiting classes and it looks like the voters aren't comfortable with that.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  17. #37
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,606

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    The problems is the voters base the first poll largely if not entirely off of the last poll of the previous season and none of them want to drop a team that hasn't lost even if they haven't lost because they haven't played. Doing a preseason poll that isn't based off of the last poll of the previous season would require an analysis of teams' recruiting classes and it looks like the voters aren't comfortable with that.
    Come on guys. Nothing is based "off." Things are based on. It means to start from a base (original assumption). Based off would mean to start away from that assumption (or having nothing to with it). If something is based off it is off base .

    I know, I taught math but that phrase makes me grind my teeth.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    240

    Re: D3 18-19 season

    I think that the pollsters should be free to vote for the teams they like whether they've played or not. The polls serve to generate some conversation but otherwise are meaningless. I'm more focused on NCAA fall sports tourneys now, but I am looking forward to the NESCAC hockey teams (men's & women's) getting started this weekend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •