Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

So perfect
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      UND might be the most blissful hockey fan base in the nation.
      Without a doubt
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

I guess it's difficult for me to understand the Gopher bashing over the NSC. The North Star Cup was initiated by Don Lucia and the University of Minnesota AD. While the hope was the NSC would be Minnesota’s version of Michigan’s GLI or Boston’s Beanpot, neutral site attendance and fan interest never quite reached the levels expected. Various times and dates were tried. Why would anyone think that fan interest would change simply because of campus site locations. IMHO that would result in even more attendance issues.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          UND might be the most blissful hockey fan base in the nation.
          I'll admit, it's good to be us.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            I guess it's difficult for me to understand the Gopher bashing over the NSC. The North Star Cup was initiated by Don Lucia and the University of Minnesota AD. While the hope was the NSC would be Minnesota’s version of Michigan’s GLI or Boston’s Beanpot, neutral site attendance and fan interest never quite reached the levels expected. Various times and dates were tried. Why would anyone think that fan interest would change simply because of campus site locations. IMHO that would result in even more attendance issues.
            Because previous results prove that to be factually incorrect? I refuse to believe that attendance would be a problem if you play these games in a 5k-8k arena vs. an 18k arena, and hometown fans can buy tickets and go. With the cup being in St. Paul, the tourney was really relying on alumni living in the metro area to buy tickets. Moving it to a home arena allows opposing fans to plan and travel to a different city to play, allows student sections of that team to buy tickets and go, and shrinks the size of the arena itself. Perception is also a big part of it, even if attendance is the same, the perception of a full arena is much more appealing for those who care about TV viewership.
            "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

I disagree on your attendance comment.

I think Duluth, St Cloud, Mankato, or Bemidji would have a full house if you bring three other fanbases together. It would certainly help Mariucci attendance. Hard to say how much but I'd venture to guess it would be better than the half(or less) full we are seeing currently. Filling the X was just not doable.
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                Because previous results prove that to be factually incorrect? I refuse to believe that attendance would be a problem if you play these games in a 5k-8k arena vs. an 18k arena, and hometown fans can buy tickets and go. With the cup being in St. Paul, the tourney was really relying on alumni living in the metro area to buy tickets. Moving it to a home arena allows opposing fans to plan and travel to a different city to play, allows student sections of that team to buy tickets and go, and shrinks the size of the arena itself. Perception is also a big part of it, even if attendance is the same, the perception of a full arena is much more appealing for those who care about TV viewership.
                It was a corporate decision of the five schools involved to discontinue the NSC. Their decision was based on longitudinal attendance data, not opinions. They discussed campus sites and teams expressed little interest.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Woooooooosh.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    It truly is. Happy Holidays!!!
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

It was a corporate decision of the five schools involved to discontinue the NSC. Their decision was based on longitudinal attendance data, not opinions. They discussed campus sites and teams expressed little interest.
                      That's what they stated publicly, but it isn't the reason I've heard. UMTC didn't want to be involved in the tourney if it couldn't be hosted at either a neutral site or at Mariucci every year. The rest of the teams, when asked if they wanted to keep the current format, showed little interest. I've heard Duluth was very interested in hosting, the DAHA (Duluth Amateur Hockey Association) reports that it generates around 4.7 million in economic boost from the tourneys they host, and UMD hopped right on that. It would be a great success if they had host cities, I feel very confident about that.

I'm not trying to put all the onus on UMTC here, Duluth and other cities could have done a better job of making their pitch. But I don't think it's fair to say it was a "corporate decision". It was a UMTC decision that the other schools had to live with. And here we are...
                      "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        Lucia was more than fair in scheduling the MN schools, both home and away. Of all the things he deserves to get bashed about, his efforts in promoting MN D1 hockey isn’t one of them.

Comment

A tournament with just Bemidji, Duluth, Mankato and St. Cloud that rotated through each school would be fun. Do it over the holidays, maybe first weekend of January. Would think students would be back by then. Alternate NCHC vs WCHA matchups each year in the first game, hope to avoid the inter-conference matchups in round 2 but if they happen, so be it. Better competition than most of the current holiday tournaments and less travel. Host school gets majority ticket allocation, visitors have up until a month prior to the games to sell theirs, unused goes back to host school. Maybe do a deal for local youth hockey if needed. Get FSN to televise all games. Keep current series rotation in place with Gophers outside of this. Seems like a win for all Minnesota D1 schools.

Comment

Ferris State.

Comment

As of the unofficial halfway point of the season:

NCHC: 4 teams in the top 10 pairwise
                              Big Ten: 1 team in the top 10 pairwise

Comment

Are people really suggesting that the Big 14 is better than the NCHC? Lols
                                CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Working...
                                X