Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Dave/speedkills is a troll with personal issues, but I don't think anyone can deny the B1G is becoming a force. And that is good for all hockey fans. For the games and for the banter.
    Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
    I'll deny it. I think it's still sub-par hockey, but I'll concede it's getting better.
    UMinn tied and beat UMD (by three goals) this year, and they, Mich, and UW are are all behind OSU, PSU and ND in the rankings. ND at least has a pretty good history going back a long ways, but those three have never been real players. The point is that the conference is becoming solid, from the bottom up. And with their resources, that should not come as a surprise.

And if that statement can be interpreted as a compliment of the rodents, just shoot me.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
      UMinn tied and beat UMD (by three goals).
      And then lost to Mankato (by 4 goals) and got swept. So let's call that a wash.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        UMinn tied and beat UMD (by three goals) this year, and they, Mich, and UW are are all behind OSU, PSU and ND in the rankings. ND at least has a pretty good history going back a long ways, but those three have never been real players. The point is that the conference is becoming solid, from the bottom up. And with their resources, that should not come as a surprise.

And if that statement can be interpreted as a compliment of the rodents, just shoot me.
        And UMD hasn't lost since, beating superior teams to UMTC along the way. Would you call it a trend or an outlier? I'd say looking at both teams records, I'd use that ol' blind squirrel and nut analogy.
        "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          And then lost to Mankato (by 4 goals) and got swept. So let's call that a wash.
          Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
          And UMD hasn't lost since, beating superior teams to UMTC along the way. Would you call it a trend or an outlier? I'd say looking at both teams records, I'd use that ol' blind squirrel and nut analogy.
          Relax guys, I like to see the gophs lose as much as anybody. It's the bottom half of that conference that has improved, not the top.

The Dogs are a bunch of pansies, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            Relax guys, I like to see the gophs lose as much as anybody. It's the bottom half of that conference that has improved, not the top.

The Dogs are a bunch of pansies, though.
            Why, because Wisconsin and Michigan State are no longer god-awful? Big Ten had a good year last year. It was one good year. This year it is looking right now like it's back to the old BTHC. Another non conference loss tonight, this one at home.
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              Why, because Wisconsin and Michigan State are no longer god-awful? Big Ten had a good year last year. It was one good year. This year it is looking right now like it's back to the old BTHC. Another non conference loss tonight, this one at home.
              I don't think Speedy will be showing his face for a while...
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Normally I'd give a pass (sorta) to a coaching change, but tonight's MN loss to SLU at home, against a goalie making his debut....good Lord. MN is in worse shape than many thought.

This is really bad. While I hate it, I think the B1GMistake will correct itself, but now is not the time that it is happening.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

St. Cloud wins another non conference game. 11-1. Larson is doing pretty well. Just a check in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                    St. Cloud wins another non conference game. 11-1. Larson is doing pretty well. Just a check in.
                    Both they and Mankato with sweeps. They could be 1-2 UMD may drop down to third but we’ll see how they weigh fact UMD was only one to play this weekend on road, and against a ranked top 10 team. OSU may raise a spot to 5th maybe even 4th depending on UMass. That’s a lot of UMD alum in the top few spots. Penn State probably still gets a first place vote from somebody
                    Last edited by UMD21; 11-18-2018, 07:59 AM.
                    I wanna go fast!

Comment

They are famous for the playoffs, right?
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        They are famous for the playoffs, right?
                        So much so that your team threw a bunch of money at our coach to lure him to your dumpster fire of a program.

Comment

So much so that your team threw a bunch of money at our coach to lure him to your dumpster fire of a program.
                          He probably would have done it just for the fame. People grow up dreaming of being Gophers, not clowns.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            He probably would have done it just for the fame. People grow up dreaming of being Gophers, not clowns.
                            Losing to St. Lawrence is very much a clown thing.
                            https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

• Originally posted by DynastyUdude
                              In SCSU's first 8 games, they played exactly ONE game vs a team with a winning record, and they LOST that game.

Then they won 2 HOME games vs DU by 1 goal each. Followed up by sweeping another team without a winning record.

That got them a #1 ranking??? lol

So they go on the road this weekend and play another unranked team and come home with ZERO wins?

So far, 11 games vs UNRANKED TEAMS, and only 9 wins.

Up next? 4-8-2 NOU, then the mighty Union and either Brown or Robert Morris.

So will SCSU get to 15 games vs unranked opponents before it gets to it's 6th game vs a ranked opponent? That would be kind of pathetic. Anyone other than UMD left on their schedule that is currently ranked???
                              Goober, is that you? Where were you two weeks ago when SCSU fans were livid for not having #1 ranking. Going as far as even calling themselves best team over last 2 years NCAA tournament be ****ed.
                              So basically SCSU is the Penn State of the NCHC.. Anyways that’s why we have the pairwise rankings, which they still hold the #2 spot. Behind no other than UMass. How is it actually refreshing to see an eastern team up there? Guess I’m just sick of the NCHC/B1G rivalry for “dominance” that will be laughed at in a few years when HE rebuilds itself. BU and BC may suck but their rivalry can still fill up an arena which says a lot more than the Gopher/Badger rivalry
                              I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by DynastyUdude
                                As for UMD, they got into the tourney last season by just a fraction over UMn. I mean, it is what it is. They got in and then won. Congrats. But how close where they to not getting in? Not trying to discount their title, not at all. Just showing how a team like UMn last year could have won the whole thing had their rating just been a small bit higher. I was against the firing or "letting go" of Lucia. This season, UMD has done ok. UMn apparently wasn't impressed as they got a win and a tie against your boys. Maybe it was an outlier, as UMD has done better since then, as compared to the Gophers, but sorry, UMD's schedule since then has not been equal to UMn's. Do you disagree? Does it matter? Nothing might matter until March?
                                Agreed their schedules have not been even since then. UMD has only played 2 series against unranked opponents vs the Gophers’ 3 series vs the unranked. And UMD has already swept the Notre Dame team that ravaged the B1G last year.
                                Gophers season ended because they lost 4 in a row at the end. Had the NCHC not had a third place game, UMD would have never been in the position to miss it. And the Gophers record against the teams who they would have had to beat in the NCAA’s was atrocious—in all likelihood they would have lost first round to Mankato.
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X