X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Four Nations Cup

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Why can't I find it there?
    I'm also having trouble getting it to play.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      I think if you're Finland or Sweden 3rd place is the MOST you can expect in this tournament.
      I agree. And that's why I think it means more to them than it does to the rest of us. 3rd is somewhat of a victory and certainly better than 4th with minor bragging rights (for whatever that is worth) over your next door neighbour.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I'm also having trouble getting it to play.
        https://www.nhl.com/video/four-nations-cup-gold-medal-game/t-277350912/c-62714103

Hopefully you have it sorted by now. Ice Garden thread says make sure flash is enabled on your browser, or try watching on a phone.

2-1 USA after one. Goals from Knight, Fortino (I think, may have been tipped), Samoskevich.

Great job by Coyne drawing a penalty to nullify Canada’s only PP opportunity. Also a nice stop by Szabados on a mini break away that Cameranesi had - the two are Beauts teammates now.

Comment

Sort of an amateurish mistake by Szabados for the first US goal.

And I think a questionable call on Laroque who had both hands on her stick and was controlling the puck.

I think they should give Coyne 2 or 3 numbers to put on her jersey. It would make sense for fans because everyone knows that it is impossible for one person to be in 2 or 3 places at the same time.

Good game...lots of new faces (not sure about Brodt at this level).

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            Also a nice stop by Szabados on a mini break away that Cameranesi had
            Thought the same thing...turns out it was the post.

Comment

Well, nice patience shown by Brodt on the beautiful feed to Decker for a US goal.

Was going top say it earlier, I'll say it now...Decker is like a wood tick with 9 lives...she always persistently invades her opposition's comfort zone and she is almost impossible to get rid of...read "neutralize".

US doing a great job of constantly getting their sticks in Canada's passing lanes and tying up Canadian sticks in front of the US goal although less and less of that was required as the 2nd period wore on...Canada seem more and more offensively disorganized.

But I think that is to a large degree caused by the biggest difference between these two teams in the last few years which is to say the the superior total team average speed enjoyed by the US. It is a deadly advantage to have in countless sports.

It would also help if Canadian shots hit the net more often. And several times when an advantageous play started developing for Canada with the puck being advanced up ice...4 of them headed to the bench. Seem a bit disjuncted mentally. Facing superior speed will do that to you.

Comment

The only thing better would have been USA scoring "4" goals...Although this game should trigger a chiffon meltdown.
                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-10-2018, 10:42 PM.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Well deserved win by the US.

The story of this game was the superior US speed and Canada's failure to convert on several opportunities in the first half of the game.

They often took too long to make shooting decisions in the offensive zone and then took too long to take the shot once the decision had been made. Rigsby had a pretty easy night. You need to get her moving laterally to neutralize her natural advantage (although that would have the same effect on most goaltenders). Canada didn't come close to having that much puck control in close to even start thinking of implementing that strategy...thanks to the US defense.

Canada started by immediately implementing their game plan which was effective but not for too long.

Speed, speed, speed.

Comment

Did Gabel play in the first two periods? I noticed her a lot in the first US Canada game, but not until the PP in the third when they scored, in tonight’s game.

Looking ahead to Worlds, I question if Szabados will get enough work in the NW to prepare her to be the #1 for Canada. A 16 game schedule compared to CW’s 28 games, plus Szabados splits with Hensley. Strikes me as an opportunity for Maschmeyer or Tiley or Sauve to gain some ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      Did Gabel play in the first two periods? I noticed her a lot in the first US Canada game, but not until the PP in the third when they scored, in tonight’s game.

Looking ahead to Worlds, I question if Szabados will get enough work in the NW to prepare her to be the #1 for Canada. A 16 game schedule compared to CW’s 28 games, plus Szabados splits with Hensley. Strikes me as an opportunity for Maschmeyer or Tiley or Sauve to gain some ground.
                      I feel so bad for Szabados. Clearly she is past her prime and has been riddled with so many injuries due to age and the toll that her body has suffered from playing in the men's game. IMO, other than lacasse (perhaps), the other canada goalies are headcases or just not reliable.

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Well deserved win by the US.

The story of this game was the superior US speed and Canada's failure to convert on several opportunities in the first half of the game.

They often took too long to make shooting decisions in the offensive zone and then took too long to take the shot once the decision had been made.
                      Canada started by immediately implementing their game plan which was effective but not for too long.
                      basically, the story of team canada women since 2013. Telegraphed plays only work on finland and sweden. Two quadrennials later and here we are, doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I had some elevated expectation about the new head coach of team canada women....until watching his interview/fluff piece. This team went from life support (2013) to now dead, and needs someone with perspective and judgment to turn this ship around (maybe too late for that, I don't see this happening in time for the upcoming quadrennial). Now what team canada women does NOT need is an arrogant misguided person to coach this team, and unfortunately, that is what team canada women have gotten IMO.

Doesn't it speak to the failure of team canada women that they did end up hiring a male NHL coach after the all-female coaching experiment failed? (at all levels, U18, U22, and Schuler etc.). Embarrassing. I am not a critical feminist theorist, but that seems like a huge failure on the feminist front (not to mention buffoonish of team canada women management).

Comment

lmao!

https://***********/AntiqueiPod/stat...76540632821760

Comment

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't love to see Hockey Canada be bad. Because I do! But if this "Watts Wasn't Good At Pushups" thing is true I'm going to revel in their failures even more because they deserve every bit of piling on they get.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't love to see Hockey Canada be bad. Because I do! But if this "Watts Wasn't Good At Pushups" thing is true I'm going to revel in their failures even more because they deserve every bit of piling on they get.
                            I believe HC requires you to pass a beep test. It’s a mess and not sure it can be fixed quickly. Tired of seeing same old doing the same thing and achieve same results. Very predictable outcome. Hats off to the USA for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                              I feel so bad for Szabados. Clearly she is past her prime and has been riddled with so many injuries due to age and the toll that her body has suffered from playing in the men's game.
                              Sad that the Canadian announcers (and others in Canada) were constantly calling her "the best goaltender in the world". That might have been true at one time(many would rightly argue that) but not now. It is not her fault they finished second.

I know it is my prejudice but to me Canadian hockey is always focused on the physical first. You see it on the mens side in spades and it is designed to produce the 'grinders' the NHL desperately needs. Yes, the players need to be tough, it is a physical game. Yes they need to be conditioned & strong. But in a short series, 6-10 games, you are not going to grind down many opponents because they are tough & conditioned also.

If this string of losses wakes HC up to the need to focus on faster and more skilled players it will be a win for hockey even if it means more losses for USA hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                                I believe HC requires you to pass a beep test. It’s a mess and not sure it can be fixed quickly. Tired of seeing same old doing the same thing and achieve same results. Very predictable outcome. Hats off to the USA for the win.
                                I have to admit while I was watching I wondered, "Is this the best Canada has to offer?" I was a bit bored by it too. It definitely wasn't very exciting hockey. It's a shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X