MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you were trying to make your point with your statistics, I don't think you really understand math, or baseball.

According to your numbers, Brewers starters lasted on average between 5 1/3 and 5 1/2 innings per start. The Astros starters lasted 6 innings per start. Boston and LA starters lasted between 5 2/3 and 6 innings per start. So, basically what you are saying is that because the LA, Boston and Houston starters lasted, on average, one or two whole outs per game more than the Brewer's starters that optimum strategy suggests pulling the starter after the lead-off hitter on the chance you might get some better match-ups?
    I'm not saying that there's a moneyball stat that shows pulling out starter after five pitches is optimum. (That's because Counsell suckered the Dodgers into setting their lineup for Miley and then matched up a better pitcher against their bats. (R/L matchups))

What I am saying is that short outings have been the Brewers motives all season. There hasn't been some grand change of plan Counsell *just* had a lightbulb go off above his head in deciding to play like this. He'll put whoever in that can pitch.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      I'm not saying that there's a moneyball stat that shows pulling out starter after five pitches is optimum. (That's because Counsell suckered the Dodgers into setting their lineup for Miley and then matched up a better pitcher against their bats. (R/L matchups))

What I am saying is that short outings have been the Brewers motives all season. There hasn't been some grand change of plan Counsell *just* had a lightbulb go off above his head in deciding to play like this. He'll put whoever in that can pitch.
      It's a matchup move, one other coaches have been using too, including Madden. They usually start with a reliever, but in playoffs there's less distinction between relievers and starters.

I love now the anonymity of these boards allows a person to talk through his arse. I'm surprised mine hasn't developed a tongue and lips.
      Last edited by burd; 10-18-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        I think Counsell and his staff know his resources better than anyone else, especially fans or media who didn't know the Brewers existed before the last 2 weeks of the season. This is not the first time he's started a guy for one batter, then taken him out. Like he said, if he had Randy Johnson, he'd use traditional measures.. but that's not who he has.
        I read that he did this stunt to get LA to build their batting lineup around the MIL pitcher, and then boom, after the switch, messes up LAD's lineup/preparation.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I read that he did this stunt to get LA to build their batting lineup around the MIL pitcher, and then boom, after the switch, messes up LAD's lineup/preparation.
          I saw a similar article.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh Happy Day!
            Oh Happy Day!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

When I went with my dad to his playoff ticket draft, I picked Game 1 of the World Series because it’s the day after my birthday. Been trying to plan a celebration with friends and that day came up. I didn’t want to say no because I didn’t want to assume anything. But yeah...now I have a reason to say no!! I can celebrate my birthday any old time.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                West called it, because, from his viewpoint, it looked like fan interference. Shame on MLB/Astros/TBS for not having a camera angle that would give inconclusive evidence that Mookie's glove was over the fence.
                They had a proper camera angle replay. The problem was the security guard got in the way.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Gotta say I'm really surprised the Sox went down to Houston and totally kicked a ss. Particularly beating Verlander. If Houston wins just once at home the Red Sox go into game 6 with an injured Sale and an overtaxed bullpen. Small wonder Cora went in for the kill by putting potential game 7 and thus far best Sox starter Eovaldi in relief in game 5.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The beer makers doing a nice job early.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I have a feeling they'll get smoked, but go Dodgers.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Red Sox in 5.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Brad Ausmus is the new Angels manager. FYI, Trout is signed through 2020.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Brad Ausmus is the new Angels manager. FYI, Trout is signed through 2020.
                            Surprising
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

MLB is playing with the balls?!?!?!

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/rob-bra...medium=twitter
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In the post-season Kershaw sometimes reminds me of one of those goalies who never ever lets in a bad goal but every time there is a defensive breakdown and it results in an odd-man rush the puck is in the back of the net. Replay correctly shows a double play was incorrectly called? Strike out the next guy. A foul pop is dropped or an outfielder makes a mental error and overthrows the cutoff man? Get the next guy to pop up or strike out. Sometimes the talk of his post season failures seems like piling on, but there is some truth to it. Fact is, you give a team like Boston a couple of extra at bats or bases, even the 1927 Yankees probably wouldn't beat them. But it would be nice to have seen what would have happened had he picked up one or two of his teammates.

Comment

Working...
                                X