Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 107

Thread: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,628

    MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Nights like this remind us why they used to play the post season in the daytime.

    Pray continue

  2. #2
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,446

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    This is for all the Joe West haters out there

    But hey, I'm just protecting the "bad ones" by defending the guy He's the Crew Chief of a postseason crew for **** good reason. Congrats to him for this effort! This is about as perfect as a human being calling pitches can be.

    And before this is called "fake news" here's an explanation on how this result is calculated.
    Last edited by RaceBoarder; 10-17-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  3. #3
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,044

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Ok. He's still an *******.

  4. #4
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    This is for all the Joe West haters out there

    But hey, I'm just protecting the "bad ones" by defending the guy He's the Crew Chief of a postseason crew for **** good reason. Congrats to him for this effort! This is about as perfect as a human being calling pitches can be.

    And before this is called "fake news" here's an explanation on how this result is calculated.
    Well he cost the Astros two runs last night by deciding the players have a right to a ball in the stands, so he’s 0% on fan interference plays.

  5. #5
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,391

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    That was atrocious.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,804

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    I can't say that I necessarily agree with Counsell's strategy last night. Sometimes I think he tries to be too clever for the game.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I can't say that I necessarily agree with Counsell's strategy last night. Sometimes I think he tries to be too clever for the game.
    I think Counsell and his staff know his resources better than anyone else, especially fans or media who didn't know the Brewers existed before the last 2 weeks of the season. This is not the first time he's started a guy for one batter, then taken him out. Like he said, if he had Randy Johnson, he'd use traditional measures.. but that's not who he has.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,804

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I think Counsell and his staff know his resources better than anyone else, especially fans or media who didn't know the Brewers existed before the last 2 weeks of the season. This is not the first time he's started a guy for one batter, then taken him out. Like he said, if he had Randy Johnson, he'd use traditional measures.. but that's not who he has.
    I'm not suggesting he doesn't know his team. But Milwaukee won a very tough division this year, and they did it getting 152 starts out of seven guys. That's almost identical numbers to LA and Boston.

    In other words, yeah, they don't have Randy Johnson on the team, but they won in the traditional way. Throw the same starters out there, bring in guys like Hader and Jeffress and their other bullpen guys to shut down the other team and win the game in the end.

    I guess what I really meant to say is I'm not a fan of a manager trying to change the character of his team in the post-season. If you're a home run hitting team in the regular season, that's who you are. Trying to play as a "small ball" team starting in a five or seven game series doesn't typically work.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  9. #9
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Well he cost the Astros two runs last night by deciding the players have a right to a ball in the stands, so he’s 0% on fan interference plays.
    I just saw the replay. Not sure how that's not home run. Fans have a right to the ball as soon as it clears the plane of the fence. It did.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I guess what I really meant to say is I'm not a fan of a manager trying to change the character of his team in the post-season. If you're a home run hitting team in the regular season, that's who you are. Trying to play as a "small ball" team starting in a five or seven game series doesn't typically work.
    The theory is not any different than the way he managed the team all season. Every pitcher is considered an "out getter". Not starters, not relievers. Anyone, anytime. They're all out getters. The staff said it a billion times during the course of the season. It might get applied differently during the playoffs because the playoffs ARE different. The travel is different, the rest days are different, and the intensity and workload are different. All of those things have a huge impact on the pitching staff.

  11. #11
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    15,291

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    I kind of like matching up Verlander with Price. Astros best pitcher is most likely going to win that game, while Price is most likely to lose given his lack of post season success. Instead of Verlander outdueling a competent pitcher and then having Price spit the bit the following game, take your medicine all at once and move on!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,164

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Okay sure SJHovey.

    Brewers top seven games started: 152
    Innings pitched: 818.0
    Record: 51-45 (56 no decisions)

    Red Sox top seven games started: 148
    Innings pitched: 882.1
    Record: 67-37 (44 no decisions)

    Dodgers top seven games started: 156
    Innings pitched: 910.0
    Record: 60-41 (55 no decisions)

    Astros top seven games started: 160
    Innings pitched: 974.1
    Record: 74-35 (51 no decisions)

    Yep. Brewers sure won the old fashioned way throwing their starters out there. Wait, what's that? Our starters pitched minimum 65 innings less than Boston (almost 100 innings less than LA) and have a .500 record?

    This postseason *IS* how Counsell has managed all year.
    Last edited by aparch; 10-18-2018 at 11:34 AM.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,804

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Okay sure SJHovey.

    Brewers top seven games started: 152
    Innings pitched: 818.0
    Record: 51-45 (56 no decisions)

    Red Sox top seven games started: 148
    Innings pitched: 882.1
    Record: 67-37 (44 no decisions)

    Dodgers top seven games started: 156
    Innings pitched: 910.0
    Record: 60-41 (55 no decisions)

    Astros top seven games started: 160
    Innings pitched: 974.1
    Record: 74-35 (51 no decisions)

    Yep. Brewers sure won the old fashioned way throwing their starters out there. Wait, what's that? Our starters pitched minimum 65 innings less than Boston (almost 100 innings less than LA) and have a .500 record?

    This postseason *IS* how Counsell has managed all year.
    If you were trying to make your point with your statistics, I don't think you really understand math, or baseball.

    According to your numbers, Brewers starters lasted on average between 5 1/3 and 5 1/2 innings per start. The Astros starters lasted 6 innings per start. Boston and LA starters lasted between 5 2/3 and 6 innings per start. So, basically what you are saying is that because the LA, Boston and Houston starters lasted, on average, one or two whole outs per game more than the Brewer's starters that optimum strategy suggests pulling the starter after the lead-off hitter on the chance you might get some better match-ups?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,804

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    The theory is not any different than the way he managed the team all season. Every pitcher is considered an "out getter". Not starters, not relievers. Anyone, anytime. They're all out getters. The staff said it a billion times during the course of the season. It might get applied differently during the playoffs because the playoffs ARE different. The travel is different, the rest days are different, and the intensity and workload are different. All of those things have a huge impact on the pitching staff.
    So, the theory is that Miley was picked to start the game, and pitch only to the lead-off hitter, to "get that one out?"
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,628
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I just saw the replay. Not sure how that's not home run. Fans have a right to the ball as soon as it clears the plane of the fence. It did.
    West called it, because, from his viewpoint, it looked like fan interference. Shame on MLB/Astros/TBS for not having a camera angle that would give inconclusive evidence that Mookie's glove was over the fence.

    If he called it an HR, then it would have stood under replay.
    Last edited by joecct; 10-18-2018 at 10:23 PM.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,164
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you were trying to make your point with your statistics, I don't think you really understand math, or baseball.

    According to your numbers, Brewers starters lasted on average between 5 1/3 and 5 1/2 innings per start. The Astros starters lasted 6 innings per start. Boston and LA starters lasted between 5 2/3 and 6 innings per start. So, basically what you are saying is that because the LA, Boston and Houston starters lasted, on average, one or two whole outs per game more than the Brewer's starters that optimum strategy suggests pulling the starter after the lead-off hitter on the chance you might get some better match-ups?
    I'm not saying that there's a moneyball stat that shows pulling out starter after five pitches is optimum. (That's because Counsell suckered the Dodgers into setting their lineup for Miley and then matched up a better pitcher against their bats. (R/L matchups))

    What I am saying is that short outings have been the Brewers motives all season. There hasn't been some grand change of plan Counsell *just* had a lightbulb go off above his head in deciding to play like this. He'll put whoever in that can pitch.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,030

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I'm not saying that there's a moneyball stat that shows pulling out starter after five pitches is optimum. (That's because Counsell suckered the Dodgers into setting their lineup for Miley and then matched up a better pitcher against their bats. (R/L matchups))

    What I am saying is that short outings have been the Brewers motives all season. There hasn't been some grand change of plan Counsell *just* had a lightbulb go off above his head in deciding to play like this. He'll put whoever in that can pitch.
    It's a matchup move, one other coaches have been using too, including Madden. They usually start with a reliever, but in playoffs there's less distinction between relievers and starters.

    I love now the anonymity of these boards allows a person to talk through his arse. I'm surprised mine hasn't developed a tongue and lips.
    Last edited by burd; 10-18-2018 at 09:08 PM.

  18. #18
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,288

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I think Counsell and his staff know his resources better than anyone else, especially fans or media who didn't know the Brewers existed before the last 2 weeks of the season. This is not the first time he's started a guy for one batter, then taken him out. Like he said, if he had Randy Johnson, he'd use traditional measures.. but that's not who he has.
    I read that he did this stunt to get LA to build their batting lineup around the MIL pitcher, and then boom, after the switch, messes up LAD's lineup/preparation.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,164

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I read that he did this stunt to get LA to build their batting lineup around the MIL pitcher, and then boom, after the switch, messes up LAD's lineup/preparation.
    I saw a similar article.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,628

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Oh Happy Day!
    Oh Happy Day!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •