Thread: Atlantic Hockey 2018 - 2019 Predictions.

Exclamation Atlantic Hockey 2018 - 2019 Predictions.

Another season is here and teams are preparing for a competitive season ahead. I find games at this point in time are inconsistent as some coaches like to evaluate new recruits leading to lopsided scores, other coaches have a pretty firm grasp of their teams and seem to have things dialed in real early. I look at the Robert Morris results where they go out and beat Bowling Green 3 – 2, then the next night lose to the same team 6 – 0. I don’t think any one game means too much at this point, trends do matter going forward however especially when it comes to in conference games. Exhibition or non-conference games are behind us, coaches have a grasp of their player resources and things will start to shape up fairly quickly now.

Early season results are listed by team in order of the 2018/2019 coaches poll. Do you think your team will exceed the coaches poll, meet the coaches poll or ultimately not make expectations?

Any team screaming they are in trouble at this point?

Anyone care to take a stab at what they see will be the final rankings?

Air Force (#1 coaches poll)
    Sunday October 7: Air Force 2, Alberta 2 OT
    Friday October 12: Air Force 1, Denver 4
    Saturday October 13: Air Force 1, Colorado College 6

Canisius (#2 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Canisius 0, Toronto 4
    Friday October 12: Canisius 2, Holy Cross 4
    Saturday October 13: Canisius 7, Holy Cross 6

Robert Morris (#3 coaches poll)
    Sunday October 7: Robert Morris 4, Brock 2
    Friday October 12: Robert Morris 3, Bowling Green 2
    Saturday October 13: Robert Morris 0, Bowling Green 6

Mercyhurst (#4 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Mercyhurst 2, Bowling Green 8
    Friday October 12: Mercyhurst 6 OT, Notre Dame 6
    Saturday October 13: Mercyhurst 0, Miami 3

American International (#5 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: American International 1, Providence 3
    Friday October 12: American International 3, Niagara 4 OT
    Saturday October 13: American International 3, Niagara 1

Army West Point (#6 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Army West Point 1, Union 4
    Friday October 12: Army West Point 2, UConn 5
    Saturday October 13: Army West Point 3, Merrimack 2

RIT (#7 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: RIT 5, Wilfrid Laurier 2
    Friday October 12: RIT 1, UMass Lowell 2
    Saturday October 13: RIT 5, UMass Lowell 4 OT

Holy Cross (#8 coaches poll)
    Friday October 12: Holy Cross 4, Canisius 2
    Saturday October 13: Holy Cross 6, Canisius 7

Bentley (#9 coaches poll)
    Friday October 12: Bentley 0, Merrimack 1

Sacred Heart (#10 coaches poll)
    Friday October 12: Sacred Heart 2, Northeastern 5
    Saturday October 13: Sacred Heart 0, Northeastern 5

Niagara (#11 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Niagara 2, York 5
    Friday October 12: Niagara 4 OT, American International 3
    Saturday October 13: Niagara 1, American International 3

Early season thoughts?

Re: Atlantic Hockey 2018 - 2019 Predictions.

A nail biter last evening...AIC beat Bentley by a score of 5 to 4 taking overtime to do it.

I'm old school in that I prefer to end a game in a tie with each getting a point, or alternately going overtime with one team getting 2 points versus 1 point for losing in overtime. Having to battle the entire game to make it to extra time and receive zero points is a tough one, perhaps they will even out during the season but Bentley coming away with nothing for their effort seems wrong.

AIC did manage by the scorecard to out shoot Bentley by a fairly wide margin of 32 to 14, with AIC (2 for 5) doubling Bentley's powerplay (1 for 4) with 2 goals to their 1.

Patron Saint of Defunct Teams

I agree with Blitz. I would like to see 1 pt for a loss in OT. I wouldn't mind a 3 pt system.

AIC has been relatively consistent with their game day roster. #27 Jaks has not been in the lineup, so I don't know if he is hurt or if it is a coach's decision.
    Waiting to see #28 who is from Club Hockey (UNLV) in the lineup to see what he has. Impressed with the incoming and redshirt freshmen who have been playing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    A nail biter last evening...AIC beat Bentley by a score of 5 to 4 taking overtime to do it.

I'm old school in that I prefer to end a game in a tie with each getting a point, or alternately going overtime with one team getting 2 points versus 1 point for losing in overtime. Having to battle the entire game to make it to extra time and receive zero points is a tough one, perhaps they will even out during the season but Bentley coming away with nothing for their effort seems wrong.

AIC did manage by the scorecard to out shoot Bentley by a fairly wide margin of 32 to 14, with AIC (2 for 5) doubling Bentley's powerplay (1 for 4) with 2 goals to their 1.
    Um, the loser point is not "old-school", in fact it is decidedly "new school", and frankly awful for hockey. It makes each individual game unbalanced (a game that goes to overtime is worth 3 points, and a game that does not is worth 2 points), and incentivizes low-scoring hockey (the less scoring there is, the more likely regulation ends in a tie).

The only standings systems that make sense are the ones that make every game count for equal weight. I think the standings system is fine the way it is, however, if one must have a winner, I'm fine with the 3 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie after overtime, and one point to the winner of the shootout system.

But any standings system such as the NHL/AHL's current system that rewards more points to certain games needs to die in a fire. College hockey plays 5 on 5 (ie regular hockey) for overtime. What's the difference between giving up a goal at 60:15 to lose in overtime and giving up a goal at 59:59 to lose a game with 1 second left in regulation? Why should one be rewarded over the other? Both teams lost. There will be games lost in regulation this season by teams who played far better than Bentley did last night.

Quote Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
    Um, the loser point is not "old-school", in fact it is decidedly "new school", and frankly awful for hockey. It makes each individual game unbalanced (a game that goes to overtime is worth 3 points, and a game that does not is worth 2 points), and incentivizes low-scoring hockey (the less scoring there is, the more likely regulation ends in a tie).

The only standings systems that make sense are the ones that make every game count for equal weight. I think the standings system is fine the way it is, however, if one must have a winner, I'm fine with the 3 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie after overtime, and one point to the winner of the shootout system.

But any standings system such as the NHL/AHL's current system that rewards more points to certain games needs to die in a fire. College hockey plays 5 on 5 (ie regular hockey) for overtime. What's the difference between giving up a goal at 60:15 to lose in overtime and giving up a goal at 59:59 to lose a game with 1 second left in regulation? Why should one be rewarded over the other? Both teams lost. There will be games lost in regulation this season by teams who played far better than Bentley did last night.
    Could not agree more. Based on the SOG differential, sounds like my team Bentley was completely outplayed last night. Sigh.

It was fascinating to see the two AIC @ Canisius games.
    Friday, AIC got out to a 1-0 lead and then deflated for a few shifts and let up a quick goal. Took too many penalties and could never get it going. Canisius just sat back and jumped on AIC when they got a chance.
    Then Saturday they took less penalties but the ones they did take were really killed effectively. AIC got up and Canisius looked all discombobulated. Poor passes and couldn't get anything started.
    Amazing how the same tow teams can look so different on different nights.

Thread Information