Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B1G 2018-19 Rise to the Top?

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    That said, the Big Ten will not have the power and depth the old WCHA had, so it will not be a problem.
    Rather than looking for nuance for exactly what the B1G needs to do...its not that complicated. The B1G just needs to win and continue winning. If it manages to get 3 of 4 FF participants - then NCs will just happen. Having said that, its extremely difficult to get 3 FF participants - especially when your conference needs to get that out of 5 teams (or 6 if MSU can get it together). The maths just don't work.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      The NCHC is going to be nowhere close to being the best conference this year, at least in terms of interconference records, teams in the tournament, or even title contenders, imho. I expect this to be a very down year for the conference, although I think there is a lot of good young talent playing here. The attrition in the form of the loss of top coaches and players leaving early for the pros is finally going to catch up to the league.

That said, I continue to believe that the NCHC will hold it's own as one of the best college hockey conferences going forward, notwithstanding some significant disadvantages its teams may face in terms of money, television exposure, geography, etc..., compared with a conference like the B1G.
      I agree. The NCHC has proven it is a unique composition of schools with strong hockey traditions and NCAA tournament success despite being "smaller schools" with more limited budgets.

But as you stated, the B1G has some inherent advantages over every league in college hockey. The large school sizes and money that comes with it is one factor. The BTN and the revenue and national exposure that comes with it is another. The sheer vastness of the footprint of the B1G and number of media markets reached is unmatched in college hockey.

Another advantage is the ability to propose changes in the rules directly to the NCAA. As an ‘all sports’ league, the B1G has that ability under NCAA rules. The rest of the college hockey landscape, 53 out of 60 teams does not have that power.

For example, I recall the outcry even here on USCHO when the B1G made a proposal directly to the NCAA that involved docking years of eligibility for older players that join college hockey past the age of 20. The B1G pulled the proposal before it could be given consideration, likely due to the outcry from the rest of the college hockey world.

Teams outside of the B1G must agree among themselves, via thorough discussions and much deliberation, and then pass the proposal on to the NCAA once a consensus is reached. So from the perspective of power, whatever power smaller schools have always had in D1 will be challenged at times in the future. The B1G has potentially a half-dozen teams poised to add hockey within the next twenty years, which would make the power it wields even greater.
      Last edited by SteveO; 10-17-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

It’s hard for me to personally care about the BTN when they don’t actually have that many Badger games.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          It’s hard for me to personally care about the BTN when they don’t actually have that many Badger games.
          It does come off a bit as the Big Gopher Network, but that's just business I assume.

For Hockey season, I buy the +package for Ohio State. It's a one team viewing option and is pretty reasonable. HDMI from the computer into the theater receiver, and I'm set. Cancel the subscription after the season's over.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I make up for your subscription. Netflix, NFL Gamepass and BTN+; done. Who needs TV access?

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            I agree. The NCHC has proven it is a unique composition of schools with strong hockey traditions and NCAA tournament success despite being "smaller schools" with more limited budgets.
            Not much of a surprise. NCHC was created by cherry picking teams across the country (cepting B!G and HE - which they didn't care about anyways). So they should be decent.

Its early yet but...the inherent strengths of the B1G and BTN may finally be powering mens hockey to the top 10 - like its done for other sports.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but first didn't the B1G woo ASU for hockey then up the ante and try to get the whole school to bail on the PAC for the B1G?
              Perhaps they should go back and try and get ASU for hockey only like they did for Notre Dame. We could use an 8th team and Illinois would be the next likely B1G school to get a hockey program going but would be most likely several years out while ASU could come in as early as next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong but first didn't the B1G woo ASU for hockey then up the ante and try to get the whole school to bail on the PAC for the B1G?
                There was talk of ASU to the B1G. But am quite sure that it was the B1G that said no. Remember that also the NCHC said no. I'm not sure which way it went with the current WCHA - but it didn't work for one side or the other.

Perhaps they should go back and try and get ASU for hockey only like they did for Notre Dame. We could use an 8th team and Illinois would be the next likely B1G school to get a hockey program going but would be most likely several years out while ASU could come in as early as next season.
                If there was an 8th team, I'd like to see it be UMD which 1) has alot of NC mojo right now 2) has some annual scheduling with numerous current B1G teams like ND 3) could easily be rationalized as part of the University of Minnesota system and 4) has a better chance of being convinced seeing as its part of the Univesity of Minnesota. Secondarily, UND. IMO ASU too far, no relationships, questionable long term competitive prospects.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

UMD would be great but I'm also fearing it's ASU in the end. Gophers are bringing them in last weekend of the year and that feels too much like a tryout to me.

Comment

I don't really see that. We're still digesting Maryland and Rutgers and are probably waiting to make our play for UVA and UNC in five or six years. ASU also isn't anywhere near AAU status, and I think that still means something. If we're going to add more associate members in Hockey, UND is the name that I heard thrown around.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      There was talk of ASU to the B1G. But am quite sure that it was the B1G that said no. Remember that also the NCHC said no. I'm not sure which way it went with the current WCHA - but it didn't work for one side or the other.

If there was an 8th team, I'd like to see it be UMD which 1) has alot of NC mojo right now 2) has some annual scheduling with numerous current B1G teams like ND 3) could easily be rationalized as part of the University of Minnesota system and 4) has a better chance of being convinced seeing as its part of the Univesity of Minnesota. Secondarily, UND. IMO ASU too far, no relationships, questionable long term competitive prospects.
                      Very interesting opinion about UMD.
                      Here's an excerpt from a 2017 story about the Sun Devils.

"The Sun Devils were once expected to follow a similar timeframe as the Nittany Lions, albeit not quite as quickly. They played a hybrid schedule of varsity and club opponents in 2015-16, then competed as an independent in 2016-17. It was expected that they would announce their conference affiliation this year, taking effect at a later time.

However, those talks appear to have halted indefinitely. On June 22, the program abandoned negotiations with the WCHA. This decision came after the NCHC declined ASU’s admittance.

As a result, the question lingers as to how long Arizona State can remain a viable, independent hockey entity. If history is any indication, there will inevitably be a time when the Sun Devils must align with a conference to continue to thrive at this level."

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        UMD would be great but I'm also fearing it's ASU in the end. Gophers are bringing them in last weekend of the year and that feels too much like a tryout to me.
                        Boy, could be right.

The only thing that makes me question that is broadcast eyeballs. One might expect ASU being on BTN could be a huge asset. But the league can already estimate viewership from schools with softer community ties to hockey - and I bet its modest. I'm not sure how many at B1G schools would tune in for an ASU game. For viewship, I would put my money on UND and secondarily on UMD. Being a flagship school, I would imagine places around the country might tune in for UND first and foremost...and the bump in Minnesota broadcasts in viewership on both sides of the Red river would probably take care of the numbers all by itself.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Boy, could be right.

The only thing that makes me question that is broadcast eyeballs. One might expect ASU being on BTN could be a huge asset. But the league can already estimate viewership from schools with softer community ties to hockey - and I bet its modest. I'm not sure how many at B1G schools would tune in for an ASU game. For viewship, I would put my money on UND and secondarily on UMD. Being a flagship school, I would imagine places around the country might tune in for UND first and foremost...and the bump in Minnesota broadcasts in viewership on both sides of the Red river would probably take care of the numbers all by itself.
                          One has to think of the Big Ten as a giant spider casting it's web from one end of the country to the other. When Maryland and Rutgers were brought in it wasn't because the majority of their sports programs were on a equal level to the rest of the B1G, it's because it gave the B1G an anchor in a VERY densely populated region of the country for marketing and broadcast rights. Nebraska started the westward expansion. Let's face it, the B1G is all about the money and if they can get as close to the west coast as possible the financial benefits with marketing and advertising will be enormous!
                          What schools will be able to resist the money carrot dangled in front of them to share in this growing revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            I'm not saying you're wrong, but at the same time I don't think I'd read too much into it. With Notre Dame in last year it gave the BTHC an odd number of teams. Michigan had I think the same open weekend last year and scheduled ASU. ASU is easy to schedule at most any time of the year with no conference obligations.
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I thought 3 teams in the Frozen Four was a statement of particular accomplishment.
                              Win first title in a dozen years? Unless it was just sarcasm we're in our 6th season as a conference.
                              And as far as beating one conference and then another and another, wasn't that what we did in the tournament? Were not the teams we beat in the tourney the best representation of their conferences? Unless I didn't understand you clearly then your questions are answered.
                              Since MSU, the last Big 10 member school won in 2007. Since then, Hockey East has won 5 titles, NCHC teams with 4, even "EZAC" with 2. Even if we're only looking at the six years of B1G existence there are only six conferences in total, so statistically the Big10 should have won one by now to be even average. But sure why wouldn't we declare the B1G the hockey powerhouse conference after they put three teams in the frozen four last year. Also when UMD won in 2011, I remember a Gopher fan saying "every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut", so maybe that was last year's frozen four?
                              Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              UMD was not the best representative of the NCHC. They hold the dubious honor of being a National Champion with the worst regular season record ever.
                              Three teams--that apparently lost to the team with the worst regular season record in history. SteveO did have a great point though that the B1G is the most "politically" powerful conference in the country. That is true.
                              Three teams in the frozen four on the year that the B1G conference had a head-to-head record against NCHC that was well under .500. Notre Dame (the team that terrorized the Big 10 in it's first year of participation) only won 1/5 games against the NCHC. The only team that earned my respect last year was Ohio State with how they beat Denver and played UMD tough. Notre Dame was lucky to not get bounced by Michigan Tech in the first round.. You may want to believe it, but doesn't sound like the type of season to brag about propelling you to the top of the college hockey stratosphere.
                              Big 10 vs NCHC spat aside, I'm just saying it's pretty disrespectful and downright stupid to call the Big 10 conference the best conference in the country this year. They have a huge hole to climb out of for all the unsuccessfull years so even if they put four teams in and finally win it this year, it's a revolving door at the top and it will take more than one or two good years to climb out of.
                              My opinion, if there's going to be a top conference in the future it will be the Hockey East. The B1G/WCHA/CCHA split was pretty devastating to Michigan and Minnesota in particular while the HE was unaffected. They're the conference having the down years that will come back.
                              Last edited by UMD21; 10-19-2018, 09:44 AM.
                              I wanna go fast!

Comment

[QUOTE=UMD21;6711264]
                                Also when UMD won in 2011, I remember a Gopher fan saying "every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut", so maybe that was last year's frozen four?
                                Well you know Gopher fans, surprised there weren't mass suicides when they didn't make it last season.
                                I'm just saying it's pretty disrespectful and downright stupid to call the Big 10 conference the best conference in the country this year.
                                Just a reminder that this thread's title of the B1G rising to the top does have a question mark so it's only asking does the B1G have what it takes to be the top conference this season or not? It's not meant to be a statement that they already are the top.
                                BTW, thank's for the Ohio State respect!

Comment

Working...
                                X