Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B1G 2018-19 Rise to the Top?

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    I know the Big Ten has had the best overall intra-conference at least once, but it's time to finally also get the better of the NCHC head to head.
    It was quite a while back (hint: last year )

It is surprising the success the NCHC has achieved head to head with the B1G, but that probably had to do in large part with down programs at Wisconsin and MSU. I expect the 21-61-8 record to start reversing itself.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      So all the other teams in a particular conference can be mediocre or worse but if one stands out and wins the FF that automatically makes their conference the best?
      Number of teams in the Frozen Four is the deciding factor now? Not head to head or the team that wins the title? Funny how that worked out. The one year the B1G even competes with the NCHC, they win the comparison because of one cherry-picked criteria.

Congrats, I guess.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Define "to the top"? Rise out of mediocrity? Win the first title in a dozen years? What are your criterias? Put a few teams in the frozen four, beat a NCHC team and suddenly be top league in the country? Guess this rivalry has made people forget about the conferences out east. B1G really needs to beat one conference, then another, and then one after that to get to the top..ECAC and Hockey East have had better success since the Big 10 split, you think they will also just fade away while the big 10 creates their own Division 0 conference so good they will become semi-pro and no longer allowed to compete against other NCAA schools and will eventually start scheduling AHL competition?
        I get your optimism. I can't help but think Minnesota and Michigan could have much brighter futures ahead than as of late but seems like somebody is forgetting what a hole they've already dug. But as long as it's what you think, that'll do
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

What are your criterias? Put a few teams in the frozen four
          Win the first title in a dozen years?
          B1G really needs to beat one conference, then another, and then one after that to get to the top..
          I thought 3 teams in the Frozen Four was a statement of particular accomplishment.
          Win first title in a dozen years? Unless it was just sarcasm we're in our 6th season as a conference.
          And as far as beating one conference and then another and another, wasn't that what we did in the tournament? Were not the teams we beat in the tourney the best representation of their conferences? Unless I didn't understand you clearly then your questions are answered.
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

And as far as beating one conference and then another and another, wasn't that what we did in the tournament? Were not the teams we beat in the tourney the best representation of their conferences? Unless I didn't understand you clearly then your questions are answered.
            UMD was not the best representative of the NCHC. They hold the dubious honor of being a National Champion with the worst regular season record ever. Had the Gophers won only one game of the last four they lost to Penn St., UMD would not have been in the tournament. SCSU was statistically the best.

It's not statistically accurate to use only a "one-and-done" tournament format to rank teams.

Nice to see B1G teams improving. But IMHO this thread is premature. I don't pay much attention to the poles this early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              UMD was not the best representative of the NCHC. They hold the dubious honor of being a National Champion with the worst regular season record ever.
              Even worse than the 1965-66 Michigan State team that won the title, after having gone 12-13-0 in the regular season?
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This forum needs an eating popcorn emoji.

Comment

UMD was not the best representative of the NCHC. They hold the dubious honor of being a National Champion with the worst regular season record ever. Had the Gophers won only one game of the last four they lost to Penn St., UMD would not have been in the tournament. SCSU was statistically the best.

It's not statistically accurate to use only a "one-and-done" tournament format to rank teams.

Nice to see B1G teams improving. But IMHO this thread is premature. I don't pay much attention to the poles this early in the season.
                  Perhaps better said that "The Gophers hold the dubious honor of missing the tournament by losing four straight times to Penn State"

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                    you think they will also just fade away while the big 10 creates their own Division 0 conference so good they will become semi-pro and no longer allowed to compete against other NCAA schools and will eventually start scheduling AHL competition?
                    I forwarded your suggestion to Barry Alvarez and he loves it!
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Duluthian View Post
                      Perhaps better said that "The Gophers hold the dubious honor of missing the tournament by losing four straight times to Penn State"
                      Sure thing, Cindy.

Comment

Originally posted by Duluthian View Post
                        In the end, this embarrassing losing streak was for the best for the program. They wouldn't have gone far in the tournament and the staff shakeup that should have happened years prior finally happened.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Even worse than the 1965-66 Michigan State team that won the title, after having gone 12-13-0 in the regular season?
                          Sorry, I forgot to add I was quoting FS23. Hook, line and sinker.

Comment

Even though the big one escaped the Big Ten last season I'd say the statement of 3 B1G teams in the FF was not a fluke and to go out on a limb I'd say, at least on paper, the B1G will have the most teams in the dance next spring.
                            I am absolutely sure it will not happen, but if a conference would get 4 teams into the FF, then the championship committee will make sure it never happens again, and screw them over like they did to the WCHA all those years. (i.e. make a Western regional a region of death every year, and one of the Eastern ones a cake walk with no wcha team at all.)

That said, the Big Ten will not have the power and depth the old WCHA had, so it will not be a problem.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

UMD was not the best representative of the NCHC. They hold the dubious honor of being a National Champion with the worst regular season record ever.
                              This is one reason why there will never BE a consensus on what makes a conference the best.
                              Is it who fields the National Champion, best overall record, best non conference opponent record, how many teams fielded in the tournament or FF?
                              There is a LOT of diversity of thought on what category or categories make one conference the "best". Also every conference has teams at the bottom trying to reload and rebuild.
                              Since all the marbles are on the table come tournament time my personal perspective for this thread was how many teams and how far do they go for the best or strongest conference.
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-16-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

...Since all the marbles are on the table come tournament time my personal perspective for this thread was how many teams and how far do they go for the best or strongest conference.
                                A number of years ago, there was an extended conversation on this board about which was the greater accomplishment: A Conference Title or a Frozen Four Appearance. The response was virtually unanimous; the FF option won in a landslide. If we had the conversation again, I'm guessing the results would be pretty similar. Obviously this supports your perspective.

At the same time, conference bragging rights ought to be based on long term performance. Yes, it's fair to say the conference over achieved last season. But it's not hard to argue that the B1G under achieved the previous five years. Are the years of famine really over? Will seasons just ahead really be years of feast?

Nice thought. Could be. But in the meantime, we'd be well advised to stay humble.

Whenever my Dad bought a new car, he'd invariably be asked how he liked it. His response was always the same: Ask me in five years. Based on 2017-18, is the B1G now the top conference in D-1 Hockey? Ask me in five years.

Comment

Working...
                                X