Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B1G 2018-19 Rise to the Top?

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Also when UMD won in 2011, I remember a Gopher fan saying "every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut", so maybe that was last year's frozen four?
    Also, I remember being in Duluth for the season opener in 2012 and having a tUMD fan say 'get back to me when you win a championship' after the Gophers won in OT Friday night. Two can play that game, I guess.

For the record, there were a large number of Gopher fans cheering for tDogs in 2011, myself included. I'll never make that mistake again......
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      Also, I remember being in Duluth for the season opener in 2012 and having a tUMD fan say 'get back to me when you win a championship' after the Gophers won in OT Friday night. Two can play that game, I guess.

For the record, there were a large number of Gopher fans cheering for tDogs in 2011, myself included. I'll never make that mistake again......
      Well, and? 7 years later and I guess we're still waiting Sorry I had to, you walked yourself right into that one. Fan was either drunk, or remembering that to this day and still laughing while waiting for you to get back

Gopher fans upset UMD fans acting like--Gopher fans. Despite hating Gophers forever being a UMD fan and distant SCSU fan, I still couldn't help but cheer for them in the 2002 championship. Crazy how conference pride trumps state pride. Was funny seeing all the UND fans cheering for UMD this year--they hated us so bad last year. or maybe just Pionk
      Last edited by UMD21; 10-19-2018, 02:24 PM.
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Gopher fans upset UMD fans acting like--Gopher fans.
        You wish, Cindy.

Comment

There can be a better conference, but yet a hotter team when it comes to playoffs. Small, but significant difference.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well, and? 7 years later and I guess we're still waiting Sorry I had to, you walked yourself right into that one. Fan was either drunk, or remembering that to this day and still laughing while waiting for you to get back
            I'm a big fan of UMD. But you're missing the point.

Prior to the split, B1G teams were near the top of their respective conferences...and so the schools inherently are strong enough. The formation of NCHC was pretty close to skimming the top off the WCHA (excepting UM and may UW)...so little change and NCHC schools like UMD actually had its schedule improve while keeping MN on the calendar. On the other hand, the upheaval among B1G has been enormous and some of the schools have had a difficult time making the adjustment. Because of who MN is, the school could have sailed through the transition fine (and in some ways did OK), but unknown to us at the time...MN was struggling with a declining Lucia. MI had similar struggles in getting rid of Ref. Now that these issues are all aside and the B1G is getting settled, its a new day. I wouldn't rest on your laurels as was seen in our earlier I 35 series.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

NCHC should have taken Bowling Green instead of Miami. You took the shiny nouveau riche team and didn't realize that sooner or later (it was sooner) they'd regress back to their historical norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Well you know Gopher fans, surprised there weren't mass suicides when they didn't make it last season.

Just a reminder that this thread's title of the B1G rising to the top does have a question mark so it's only asking does the B1G have what it takes to be the top conference this season or not? It's not meant to be a statement that they already are the top.
                BTW, thank's for the Ohio State respect!
                Also, it says "rising", which would connotate that they are on their way, but aren't there yet.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                  NCHC should have taken Bowling Green instead of Miami. You took the shiny nouveau riche team and didn't realize that sooner or later (it was sooner) they'd regress back to their historical norm.
                  Yeah, Bowling Green has been covered in glory the past few years....

0 NCAA tournament appearances since 1990
                  0 Regular season conference titles since 1987
                  0 Conference tournament titles since 1988

Bowling Green sucks.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Not gonna argue that, although not sure why you chose Bowling Green. Wouldn’t mind seeing conferences migrate more towards regional locations. Mankato and BSU come to mind first—somebody will perhaps have to take in ASU so if not B1G the NCHC would make most sense. AFA would be a nice acquisition if we needed to even up #s.
                    I thought NCHC criteria was hockey focused schools, but why would that exclude Mankato then. Pretty sure the reason Dean Blais “retired” from Omaha was their stripped down budget and how few full scholarships the school could afford the program. They fit regionally still haven’t been to Omaha but maybe someday will catch a series there going between CO-MN
                    I wanna go fast!

Comment

One of the things I recall with a grin in Ohio State's rivalry we had going with Miami was the first home game we had against them the season after they blew and pretty much gave away the National Championship, two of our students in the first row behind their net were wearing Boston University jerseys and were rubbing their chests in them against the glass all game reminding them how badly they scr*wed the pooch!
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-21-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

still haven’t been to Omaha but maybe someday will catch a series there going between CO-MN
                        Made a few road trips back in the WCHA days. Omaha was by far our group's favorite. Sadly we only got to make it one time since the conferences split shortly after Minnesota's only conference trip there. Selfishly I liked it because I have family there who are UNO fans, but I think we would have had fun no matter what.

That was back at the Clink though, I would definitely enjoy seeing their new arena.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

One of the things I recall with a grin in Ohio State's rivalry we had going with Miami was the first home game we had against them the season after they blew and pretty much gave away the National Championship, two of our students in the first row behind their net were wearing Boston University jerseys and were rubbing their chests in them against the glass all game reminding them how badly they scr*wed the pooch!
                          Buying jerseys of a team that you don't cheer for to try to get a rise out of your rivals = UND fans

Congrats on that.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                            Buying jerseys of a team that you don't cheer for to try to get a rise out of your rivals = UND fans

Congrats on that.
                            Now we don't really know how they came by those jerseys do we?
                            The other funny thing with outerwear at an OSU game was back in the CCHA when Steve Piotrowski was a MAJOR thorn in our side with his officiating. (Of course him being one of Red Berenson's close buddies had NOTHING to do with it! )
                            One of our students by the glass has a white tee shirt made out like an eye chart and it spelled
                            P and old Pio saw it during warm ups pointing at the kid!
                            I O
                            T R O
                            W S K I
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

The other funny thing with outerwear at an OSU game was back in the CCHA when Steve Piotrowski was a MAJOR thorn in our side with his officiating. (Of course him being one of Red Berenson's close buddies had NOTHING to do with it! )
                              Conspiracy theories about officials? Are you sure you're not a Whioux fan?!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

College Hockey's Newest Dynasty! Meh, screw 'em. I just wish we'd been able to hold onto the all-time series lead before the programs went their separate ways. Lots of bad blood between Ohio State and Miami on the university side, so I can't say that I wish them well in anything. BGSU is another thing though. I'd love to see Bergeron make them a consistent top 20 team and for us to play them annually.

Comment

Working...
                                X