Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    besides the obvious entering the country illegally, which is obviously a crime
    And yet incorrect. Up until a couple of years ago, most illegal immigrants were guilty of nothing more than a civil violation (the equivalent of a parking ticket), not a crime. It wasn't considered a crime until the right wing mob decided to criminalize it.

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Whoosh.

"Typical Trumper." (acceptable)
      "Typical Muslim." (unacceptable)

That's the hypocrisy. Generalizing groups based on the actions of a few.
      That's because treating fellow Americans as the enemy, baseless attacks and initiating aggression is not a trait of 99.9% of Muslims in this country.

This part I agree with. A typical Trumper shoots his mouth off, but that's about it.
      That's the real action that matters.

Brent, if someone commits a crime. They go to prison. The issue has been addressed and is finished. If the right constantly shoot their mouth off by calling the left as the enemy and being behaving belligerently, they destroy the fabric of community in this country...that's where the real damage is actually done. And it both continues and the right pushes the envelope further next time.

Your defense of this hostile behavior does help enable it.
      Last edited by 5mn_Major; 10-27-2018, 08:31 AM.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Bless your heart
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If he were a guy with a clean, or almost clean, record, say some regular Joe with a lot of guns and ideas and Trumper views, and this happened...ok, let's take a look.

This guy has had many brushes with the law. To me, he just got another excuse to blame anyone but himself on his actions.
          Originally posted by burd View Post
          The individual is solely responsible for his acts and should be held responsible. Trump is not "responsible" for this particular person's acts, but he is responsible for the way in which he leads and how he shapes the culture. His pitchfork mob approach to politics may be effective with his base, but it is not without consequences. He is leading, but in a direction that is dangerous, and this is one example.
          Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            That's because treating fellow Americans as the enemy, baseless attacks and initiating aggression is not a trait of 99.9% of Muslims in this country.

That's the real action that matters.

Brent, if someone commits a crime. They go to prison. The issue has been addressed and is finished. If the right constantly shoot their mouth off by calling the left as the enemy and being behaving belligerently, they destroy the fabric of community in this country...that's where the real damage is actually done. And it both continues and the right pushes the envelope further next time.

Your defense of this hostile behavior does help enable it.
            I'm not defending the behavior of shooting one's mouth off. I am saying that taking physical action that is a crime is much different than simply vocalizing an opinion/stance, and taking physical action is not common, and therefore this alleged bomber is not "a typical Trumper," which again, circles back to my point of not judging an entire group by the actions of one person (or the few persons of an entire group).
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yes, let’s all give Trump a pass because he didn’t say “Go bomb them”

The kind of rhetoric trump uses has all sorts of little keys to people like this guy that encourage them to take violent action. It’s terribly irresponsible and he should field part of the blame.

This is no different than tossing up the “guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” Hogwash. He creates the environment where this is not just acceptable but encouraged. Journalists have been threatened by his followers for years now. I’m not just willing to namby pamby uive him a pass on this.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm not defending the behavior of shooting one's mouth off. I am saying that taking physical action that is a crime is much different than simply vocalizing an opinion/stance, and taking physical action is not common, and therefore this alleged bomber is not "a typical Trumper," which again, circles back to my point of not judging an entire group by the actions of one person (or the few persons of an entire group).
                OK...I get that. A couple of points:

You say: " taking physical action that is a crime is much different than simply vocalizing an opinion/stance". But I'm saying the damage done from one person sending pipe bombs is not necessarily less than one president sending Twitter bombs belittling millions and inflaming other millions in a society that must get along on a daily basis. One is going to jail. The other will continue as being assumed to be the country's role model.

You say: "taking physical action is not common". Violent people require trigger points and access to weapons in order to act. Just because physical action is not common...doesn't mean its more common on the right than it is elsewhere - and the right has received a steady stream of hate for decades. Its faar more common than it should be.

You say: "to my point of not judging an entire group by the actions of one person". In general, great and everyone agrees wholeheartedly. But the right's leadership treats the other side as the enemy and has encouraged physically attacking it. The only reason that group and its hatred message exists is that 40% of Americans believe it - the message been carefully developed for decades...is exactly who the right is and the right fully supports it. The right supports hatred and enables violence...and for many in the mainstream, that's close enough.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  OK...I get that. A couple of points:

You say: " taking physical action that is a crime is much different than simply vocalizing an opinion/stance". But I'm saying the damage done from one person sending pipe bombs is not necessarily less than one president sending Twitter bombs belittling millions and inflaming other millions in a society that must get along on a daily basis. One is going to jail. The other will continue as being assumed to be the country's role model.

You say: "taking physical action is not common". Violent people require trigger points and access to weapons in order to act. Just because physical action is not common...doesn't mean its more common on the right than it is elsewhere - and the right has received a steady stream of hate for decades. Its faar more common than it should be.

You say: "to my point of not judging an entire group by the actions of one person". In general, great and everyone agrees wholeheartedly. But the right's leadership treats the other side as the enemy and has encouraged physically attacking it. The only reason that group and its hatred message exists is that 40% of Americans believe it - the message been carefully developed for decades...is exactly who the right is and the right fully supports it. The right supports hatred and enables violence...and for many in the mainstream, that's close enough.
                  Well said
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And yet, people who vocalize their opinion/stance to politicians in restaurants are rude and uncivil. And you denounce this sort of behavior to no end. Part of the radical leftist mob.

But this guy is just a lone nutjob, and nothing Trump has said over the last three years can be inferred to influence or spur his actions.

Because both sides.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Why do you feel the need to defend the guy who is being traced by the people doing the crime as their catalyst to go from stating opinion to doing something physical? We have a guy who is in charge of things saying that specific people are enemies- which is a VERY different word than opposition. Enemies that should have something come down on them, given how "evil" and divisive they are being accused of. This leader goes out of his way that there are good people on the only groups so far that actually have used violence. And have accused that other side that they will take up violence if they win the election.

Why do you feel the need to defend that? That kind of tone has lead to violence before, and always brushed off- recall Palin using cross hairs on opposition, which can be traced to the assassination attempt on Gabby Gifford. Let alone the history of different countries where leaders used these kinds of words.

This isn't new, so don't pretend that this is a unique situation where the leader saying these things should have no responsibility, since they are only words.

Sad that you feel the need to find some kind of excuse that the tone the moron in chief uses is ok.

Comment

• Jesus, Brent. Are you listening to what you're saying? As far as I am aware, that nice young man Adolf nevet committed an act of violence in his life, so we cannot possibly blame the individual choices that millions of Germans made of their own free will on him. After all, he never did anything but spout his mouth off in a few rousing speeches. *** was wrong with all those individual Germans who happened to make the same individual choices?
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

It's also sad and disappointing that our leader thinks that you can use the threat of violence to achieve a goal.

The armed guard or the forceful closing of our border are the most recent signs. Instead of toning down people so that they don't feel the need for violence or improving the conditions at people's homes so that they don't even feel the need to escape to a country who does not want them. No- instead of the simple thing, bring bigger guns.

Sad that violence is the only answer he has.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            And yet, people who vocalize their opinion/stance to politicians in restaurants are rude and uncivil. And you denounce this sort of behavior to no end. Part of the radical leftist mob.

But this guy is just a lone nutjob, and nothing Trump has said over the last three years can be inferred to influence or spur his actions.

Because both sides.
                            I pointed out in a different thread how it’s odd he is so worked up about Mitch being confronted in a restaurant but the way more serious stuff doesn’t seem to matter much

Comment

It's like a shepherd yelling, "STAMPEDE!" at the top of his lungs and then saying to the guy who got trampled, "Sorry, bro - had no idea the sheep(le) would react like that."

Baloney. He knew. He knew all right.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Why do you feel the need to defend the guy who is being traced by the people doing the crime as their catalyst to go from stating opinion to doing something physical? We have a guy who is in charge of things saying that specific people are enemies- which is a VERY different word than opposition. Enemies that should have something come down on them, given how "evil" and divisive they are being accused of. This leader goes out of his way that there are good people on the only groups so far that actually have used violence. And have accused that other side that they will take up violence if they win the election.

Why do you feel the need to defend that? That kind of tone has lead to violence before, and always brushed off- recall Palin using cross hairs on opposition, which can be traced to the assassination attempt on Gabby Gifford. Let alone the history of different countries where leaders used these kinds of words.

This isn't new, so don't pretend that this is a unique situation where the leader saying these things should have no responsibility, since they are only words.

Sad that you feel the need to find some kind of excuse that the tone the moron in chief uses is ok.
                                Cause both sides. Haven't you heard Pelosi urging her supporters to punch out the opposition?
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X