Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Why should they have to pay a bigger percentage?

And by closing all the tax breaks, it's effectively raising taxes without actually raising taxes. They are actually paying their fair share at that point.
    It’s because they can afford it much more than people who aren’t rich.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Incorrect.

If I earn a million bucks, why should I pay a bigger percentage than if I earned 50K? If I'm a millionaire, and choose to give more to the community/economy, that is commendable (see the aforementioned Gates/Buffett). I shouldn't be required to, though.
      You just failed Economics 101.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Incorrect.

If I earn a million bucks, why should I pay a bigger percentage than if I earned 50K? If I'm a millionaire, and choose to give more to the community/economy, that is commendable (see the aforementioned Gates/Buffett). I shouldn't be required to, though.
        And by the way. Mitt Romney pays a lower percentage than I do. Along with Trump and Jared Kushner.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Incorrect.

Because our economy works that much more efficiently when we do it that way as evidenced by the history of our own country as well as others.

Someone earning $9/hour getting 10% of their income taken away might not be able to pay rent where as someone earning 10 million a year might not be able to afford a yacht.
          Last edited by trixR4kids; 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Incorrect.

Repeated:

"It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion." Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations.

The farking father of modern capitalism understood that progressive taxation is the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              And by the way. Mitt Romney pays a lower percentage than I do. Along with Trump and Jared Kushner.
              Yeah, so close all the tax breaks and loopholes that allow that.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah, so close all the tax breaks and loopholes that allow that.
                Not a tax break or a loophole. Capital Gains is taxed at a much lower rate than income. Again, epic fail.

Comment

Not a tax break or a loophole. Capital Gains is taxed at a much lower rate than income. Again, epic fail.
                  Some people just insist that the rich must all work really hard to be rich so why punish them. Like they work that much harder than everyone else
                  Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Repeated:

"It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion." Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations.

The farking father of modern capitalism understood that progressive taxation is the right thing to do.
                    You do realize he was speaking very specifically about "A tax upon house-rents" and NOT taxes in general?
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

They can afford accountants and tax lawyers
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                        Because our economy works that much more efficiently when we do it that way as evidenced by the history of our own country as well as others.

Someone earning $9/hour getting 10% of their income taken away might not be able to pay rent where as someone earning 10 million a year might not be able to afford a yacht.
                        that gives one incentive though to earn a 10mm paycheck

brent has a point though.

how about everyone pays 6% of their gross for social security.
                        everyone pays 8% of their gross from national health care
                        and everyone pays 45% of their gross for income tax with the first $200k exempt.
                        then everyone (here companies are people... freedom of speech and all) pays 5% of the wealth (whatever they own) with no exemptions.

can even do away with corp tax (so no more excuse for double tax on passive income)

flatter than twiggy!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          that gives one incentive though to earn a 10mm paycheck

brent has a point though.

how about everyone pays 6% of their gross for social security.
                          everyone pays 8% of their gross from national health care
                          and everyone pays 45% of their gross for income tax with the first $200k exempt.
                          then everyone (here companies are people... freedom of speech and all) pays 5% of the wealth (whatever they own) with no exemptions.

can even do away with corp tax (so no more excuse for double tax on passive income)

flatter than twiggy!
                          Ideas like this have zero traction with the trickle down folks who have stolen the Middle Classes wealth since 1980. Ayn Rand has won.

Comment

Paying 5% of all your wealth in taxes discourages non-liquid investments, and discourages savings in general. You're going to destroy the idea of retirement for all but the richest amongst us.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Why should they have to pay a bigger percentage?
                              because they have more disposable income?

and because the more money you have, the easier it is to make more money. Left unchecked, within a few generations the top 1% will own nearly all wealth instead of "just" 40% of it owns now (source on the 40%: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a33cddd5d140)

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                They can afford accountants and tax lawyers
                                This, too.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X