Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    There is some local movements to have GPS trackers voluntarily installed where drivers would be charged per mile driven.

My issues are with those who use their vehicles on off-road trails (not maintained by DOT's so they don't receive funding) or for Toll Roads (which are ineligible to receive State and Federal funding for the construction or maintenance of said roads).

My suggestion is to charge an additional fee for electric vehicles (and a lesser charge for hybrid vehicles that still use some fuel) during each license renewal. Also, find a different source of funding for roads than relying on the 'hasn't-been-increased-since-the-80's' Motor Fuel Tax.
    No! No more regressive taxes. We don’t need more. We need more progressive taxes. We should get rid of all fees and flat taxes. The income tax should provide everything we need.

The rich have spent a lot of money making sure we force the cost of society onto the lower and middle classes. That’s where clever “fair” taxes like the gas tax have been sold as a solution. Hogwash. Those costs get passed onto the consumer.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      There is some local movements to have GPS trackers voluntarily installed where drivers would be charged per mile driven.
      And this is what I don't understand about government. They come up with all sorts of complicated, expensive solutions to basically simple problems.

Just raise the gas tax.

It will have the same effect. People who drive more, or drive less efficient vehicles, will pay more. The exact same thing that installing expensive GPS units will do, but with no cost whatsoever.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        And this is what I don't understand about government. They come up with all sorts of complicated, expensive solutions to basically simple problems.

Just raise the gas tax.

It will have the same effect. People who drive more, or drive less efficient vehicles, will pay more. The exact same thing that installing expensive GPS units will do, but with no cost whatsoever.
        I love the gas tax. Our new governor is going to be for it. The Republican idiot running against him is against it.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Just raise the gas tax.

I fully agree. And, without GPS, there won't be any possibilities of tracking/etc. Don't "tinfoil hat" me, here. It was revealed recently that smartphones locations do that, even if you turn off the location feature.

Gas prices and my proximity to my job were direct factors in what I have bought for vehicles and where I lived for the past 20 or so years.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I fully agree. And, without GPS, there won't be any possibilities of tracking/etc. Don't "tinfoil hat" me, here. It was revealed recently that smartphones locations do that, even if you turn off the location feature.
            Even your dumb phone tracks you. Every cell tower you come in range of interacts with your phone if its on.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              Even your dumb phone tracks you. Every cell tower you come in range of interacts with your phone if its on.
              Also true, and furthers my point.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                And the rich, R or D, still take advantage of all the tax breaks they can. Period.
                Once again what individual taxpayers do is not germane to the subject. Only one side has repeatedly fought to raise tax revenues to help the lower and middle classes while one repeatedly reverses it.

You should have just come pr and said the following instead I'd dancing:

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Why should they have to pay a bigger percentage?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Once again what individual taxpayers do is not germane to the subject. Only one side has repeatedly fought to raise tax revenues to help the lower and middle classes while one repeatedly reverses it.

I agree it's one side. The rich.

That being said, I fully appreciated the discussion today. Some feathers got ruffled, including mine, but we kept on talking and listening to each other. IMO, that is a very important thing that is missing from the mainstream today. We didn't shout each other down, we simply disagreed on some things and asked questions, and tried to provide clarity to how we feel, etc. If that can bleed over to more people, there is still hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    lol. The guy "across the street" (I can only see his driveway, its a 30 acre oceanfront compound completely hidden from the road by woods) from me pays something like $60-70K in property taxes. Multiple buildings. Hedge fund manager from NYC, uses it a couple weeks in the summer. I'd be okay if you tax 5% of his wealth every year
                    well of course!! he would pay too.

are you becoming a republican? don't want to pay your 'fair share'??
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

the gawd dammmed germans ain't got nothing to do with it!!!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        I agree it's one side. The rich.

That being said, I fully appreciated the discussion today. Some feathers got ruffled, including mine, but we kept on talking and listening to each other. IMO, that is a very important thing that is missing from the mainstream today. We didn't shout each other down, we simply disagreed on some things and asked questions, and tried to provide clarity to how we feel, etc. If that can bleed over to more people, there is still hope.
                        There's no hope. Just like Republicans you have been completely intractable despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. You, just like your "conservative" contemporaries continue to believe your entitled to your own set of facts.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

North Dakota's Native American population put Heitkamp over the top to win last time. The North Dakota GOP is now stopping them from voting.

The North Dakota GOP have instituted a law that made illegal any voter ID that uses a PO box. Most NA reservations do not have street addresses. The population living there can only get mail by PO Box and the law affects NAs at twice the rate of the overall population.

The courts overturned the law. So the North Dakota legislature said that you can use a provisional ballot if you don't have a street address on your ID. But the provisional ballot will never be counted unless you can later show a street address on your ID - so its really the same. This time the courts let it go.

Anyone from North Dakota want to chime in on this one?
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            North Dakota's Native American population put Heitkamp over the top to win last time. The North Dakota GOP is now stopping them from voting.

The North Dakota GOP have instituted a law that made illegal any voter ID that uses a PO box. Most NA reservations do not have street addresses. The population living there can only get mail by PO Box and the law affects NAs at twice the rate of the overall population.

The courts overturned the law. So the North Dakota legislature said that you can use a provisional ballot if you don't have a street address on your ID. But the provisional ballot will never be counted unless you can later show a street address on your ID - so its really the same. This time the courts let it go.

Anyone from North Dakota want to chime in on this one?
                            It's classic voter suppression and it's been a strategy of the GOP for a while. Power begets power.

Comment

Locking up babies and children is justified.

Comment

As reported Monday, this year has seen a spending increase of 3% (thanks GOP).

Corporations paid 22% less in taxes (thanks GOP), but that was made up by individual income tax payments - that is individual income taxes completely made up for the 22% corporate shortfall. In other words, the tax law - was actually a major individual tax increase law (thanks GOP).

Meanwhile, the deficit is exploding 17% (thanks GOP) to its highest level since we had no government revenue in the great recession (a recession which was also thanks to the GOP).

Any conservatives want to chime on your huge income tax hike on the American people - and exploding debt?
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X