Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I personally think some sort of progressive tax structure is fine.

However, it does irk me when I read statements of alleged fact like you just wrote that I might use "many times more" government infrastructure and services than others.

I'd really like to see a link on that.

I know for a fact that my neighbor doesn't make 25% of what I make. But we drive down the same street to get home, the same cop drives by both our homes, the same street light lights our street, the same sewer line hauls both of our crap away, our kids went to the same school, etc...
    Yes, but it’s not about personal consumption. That’s a use tax or sales tax. Those are inherently regressive.

A person who makes $50,000 can’t afford to pay $1,000 in taxes as much as a person who makes $500,000 can afford $10,000.

If we want a flat tax, I want the first $250,000 exempted. The rich can fight it out over the rest.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Yes, but it’s not about personal consumption. That’s a use tax or sales tax. Those are inherently regressive.

A person who makes $50,000 can’t afford to pay $1,000 in taxes as much as a person who makes $500,000 can afford $10,000.

If we want a flat tax, I want the first $250,000 exempted. The rich can fight it out over the rest.
      I didn't say anything to the contrary. If you want to argue that I should pay more because I can afford it, fine. Make that argument. But don't tell me that I "use many times more government infrastructure and services" than someone making a fraction of what I earn.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        This. It isn't like I pay the top percent on all my salary. I only paid the higher rate on a small portion that crossed the threshold.
        I don’t think the GOP voters or Fark Independents understand this math. For every dollar society provides me in income, I am necessarily using progressively more of society’s resources.

Say I’m selling lemonade on a street corner. I make $100. I use two streets. My grocery store is down the street and I can bike there. Not much wear and tear.

Now say I grow to be Lemonade Stands Corp andbi make $1,000,000. Instead of selling my lemonade on a street corner and using two streets I use the federal highway system now because my supply chain has grown. I also use Customs to import specialty lemons and cane sugar from Brazil. I’m using ports and docks now and all of the inspectors that come with it.

In order to make that last dollar, I’m using far more of the nation’s resources and not just my local streets. I should pay progressively more in taxes because I use progressively more resources.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I'm not poor, but I am far from rich. My "big day out" is to go to a local restaurant for lunch and a beer or two. That was my choice in life. I value other things more than money. I still am saying that I don't think it's right that if you earn more, you pay a higher rate of taxes.
          Taxes are the price we all pay for living in a civilized society. Otherwise, we'd be Somalia.

It only stands to reason that those who benefit most from that civilized society should also be expected to contribute the most towards its continued existence. Otherwise, we're Somalia.

When the mobs start descending on their gated communities, the rich are gonna wish they'd contributed a bit more towards the peoples' well-being.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

This is the post I read.

However, it does irk me when I read statements of alleged fact like you just wrote that I might use "many times more" government infrastructure and services than others.

I'd really like to see a link on that.
            Didn't I just answer that? Isn't that what you wanted?
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              and because the more money you have, the easier it is to make more money. Left unchecked, within a few generations the top 1% will own nearly all wealth instead of "just" 40% of it owns now (source on the 40%: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a33cddd5d140)
              There’s also this.

Otherwise it’s an exponential series with nothing to stop it from shifting all money to the richest person. The money will always flow up unless there is a downward pressure. For every dollar a corporation makes, the largest fraction (that isn’t distributed to shareholders, which is more complicated) will always go to the executives.

The richer you are, the more you can afford to not spend $1. If you are making $35,000 a year, you can’t afford to not spend it these days. So that dollar the person spends will inevitably get spent in the economy and it gets cleaved up proportionally with the vast majority going to the rich who can sit on it.

This is also one of the reasons why you lower interest rates in a down economy. It stimulates spending instead of saving. Taxes do that in an up economy by forcing the rich to spend the same fraction as someone who makes much less than them.
              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Mookie suggested this earlier.

This is why I stated I was open to hearing about a flat tax.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I don’t think the GOP voters or Fark Independents understand this math. For every dollar society provides me in income, I am necessarily using progressively more of society’s resources.

Say I’m selling lemonade on a street corner. I make $100. I use two streets. My grocery store is down the street and I can bike there. Not much wear and tear.

Now say I grow to be Lemonade Stands Corp andbi make $1,000,000. Instead of selling my lemonade on a street corner and using two streets I use the federal highway system now because my supply chain has grown. I also use Customs to import specialty lemons and cane sugar from Brazil. I’m using ports and docks now and all of the inspectors that come with it.

In order to make that last dollar, I’m using far more of the nation’s resources and not just my local streets. I should pay progressively more in taxes because I use progressively more resources.
                  Or, we understand that tariffs, excise taxes, import fees, gas taxes and a virtual plethora of other taxes and fees operate to recover those infrastructure costs to which you refer, long before I pay income tax on my net distribution.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I didn't say anything to the contrary. If you want to argue that I should pay more because I can afford it, fine. Make that argument. But don't tell me that I "use many times more government infrastructure and services" than someone making a fraction of what I earn.
                    Ah. You must be referring to the biggest part of US govt. discretionary spending. With the US hiding behind this 'fantastic' 2nd amendment, who gains from the military and other overseas govt. services (at $600B for the military + a paltry $100 for sec of state that's much of our $1T deficit)...maintaining a worldwide structure safe for Americans overseas? Is it the guy who eats spam for dinner and can't afford to heat his place?

Listen. I'm not the guy who wants to have the rich folks pay for everything. But don't sit there telling everyone that the rich don't use tons of government services.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Or, we understand that tariffs, excise taxes, import fees, gas taxes and a virtual plethora of other taxes and fees operate to recover those infrastructure costs to which you refer, long before I pay income tax on my net distribution.
                      Or, we understand those taxes don’t do that fairly. They shift that burden to the lower income brackets.
                      Code:

Comment

Gas taxes don't come anywhere close to the costs of maintaining our roads and interstates, as they are supposed to. Hence, the sorry state of their condition, in many areas.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Gas taxes don't come anywhere close to the costs of maintaining our roads and interstates, as they are supposed to. Hence, the sorry state of their condition, in many areas.
                          True.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            that gives one incentive though to earn a 10mm paycheck

brent has a point though.

how about everyone pays 6% of their gross for social security.
                            everyone pays 8% of their gross from national health care
                            and everyone pays 45% of their gross for income tax with the first $200k exempt.
                            then everyone (here companies are people... freedom of speech and all) pays 5% of the wealth (whatever they own) with no exemptions.

can even do away with corp tax (so no more excuse for double tax on passive income)

flatter than twiggy!
                            I'm in! Where can I vote for you?
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              There is some local movements to have GPS trackers voluntarily installed where drivers would be charged per mile driven.

My issues are with those who use their vehicles on off-road trails (not maintained by DOT's so they don't receive funding) or for Toll Roads (which are ineligible to receive State and Federal funding for the construction or maintenance of said roads).

My suggestion is to charge an additional fee for electric vehicles (and a lesser charge for hybrid vehicles that still use some fuel) during each license renewal. Also, find a different source of funding for roads than relying on the 'hasn't-been-increased-since-the-80's' Motor Fuel Tax.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Ah. You must be referring to the biggest part of US govt. discretionary spending. With the US hiding behind this 'fantastic' 2nd amendment, who gains from the military and other overseas govt. services (at $600B for the military + a paltry $100 for sec of state that's much of our $1T deficit)...maintaining a worldwide structure safe for Americans overseas? Is it the guy who eats spam for dinner and can't afford to heat his place?

Listen. I'm not the guy who wants to have the rich folks pay for everything. But don't sit there telling everyone that the rich don't use tons of government services.
                                This what the argument always turns to. The argument that the rich benefit from the military way, way more than the poor.

Comment

Working...
                                X