Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    If you're making 20K more, you are paying more in taxes, progressive or not. :P
    Right but that isn't the same thing. I should be taxed at a higher rate because I can be and survive.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.42: Who Needs Tax Increases? If You're Rich Just Write A Check.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Right but that isn't the same thing. I should be taxed at a higher rate because I can be and survive.
      And that's the disagreement. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should be forced to.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And that's the disagreement. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should be forced to.
        It should if he actually likes living in a society that respects the rule of law and allows him the opportunity to succeed. Government isn't free or cheap, and it benefits the rich far more than the poor.

Comment

Brent, another way to look at it. The poor don't live large. They typically live paycheck to paycheck, rent small apartments and just can't afford to do much else. The rich travel all the time, don't just own a car but often commute sizable distances, own large homes, shop and eat out quite a bit.

Everyone uses government infrastructure and services. The rich on average require and use many times more than someone who doesn't own much of anything, flips burgers all day and goes home to a microwave dinner.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Brent, another way to look at it. The poor don't live large. They typically live paycheck to paycheck, rent small apartments and just can't afford to do much else. The rich travel all the time, don't just own a car but often commute sizable distances, own large homes, shop and eat out quite a bit.

Everyone uses government infrastructure and services. The rich on average require and use many times more than someone who doesn't own much of anything, flips burgers all day and goes home to a microwave dinner.
            I'm not poor, but I am far from rich. My "big day out" is to go to a local restaurant for lunch and a beer or two. That was my choice in life. I value other things more than money. I still am saying that I don't think it's right that if you earn more, you pay a higher rate of taxes.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I'm not poor, but I am far from rich. My "big day out" is to go to a local restaurant for lunch and a beer or two. That was my choice in life. I value other things more than money. I still am saying that I don't think it's right that if you earn more, you pay a higher rate of taxes.
              And the government can't know exactly how much your using...but statistics hold, the rich use lots of resources.

If you're using many times more government infrastructure and services than someone else, shouldn't you pay a commensurate amount more for them?
              Go Gophers!

Comment

I still am saying that I don't think it's right that if you earn more, you pay a higher rate of taxes.
                And we're all saying you're 100 percent wrong.

And you're also ignoring the fact that the person making 40,000 and the person making 1,040,000 pay the same rate on that first 40,000. The person only pays the higher rate for the income above the threshold for a given bracket.

Comment

Yes I should. I want social safety nets and good infrastructure along with quality education. (not to mention police and fire departments) I want society as a whole to benefit. If a couple thousand bucks more can help then it is my duty as an American to do so.

If you want the country to work, you need help from those who can help.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Then you best forget about about a functional economy or society. The math doesn't work.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      And we're all saying you're 100 percent wrong.

And you're also ignoring the fact that the person making 40,000 and the person making 1,040,000 pay the same rate on that first 40,000. The person only pays the higher rate for the income above the threshold for a given bracket.
                      This. It isn't like I pay the top percent on all my salary. I only paid the higher rate on a small portion that crossed the threshold.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If you're using many times more government infrastructure and services than someone else, shouldn't you pay a commensurate amount more for them?
                        I personally think some sort of progressive tax structure is fine.

However, it does irk me when I read statements of alleged fact like you just wrote that I might use "many times more" government infrastructure and services than others.

I'd really like to see a link on that.

I know for a fact that my neighbor doesn't make 25% of what I make. But we drive down the same street to get home, the same cop drives by both our homes, the same street light lights our street, the same sewer line hauls both of our crap away, our kids went to the same school, etc...
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Yes I should. I want social safety nets and good infrastructure along with quality education. (not to mention police and fire departments) I want society as a whole to benefit. If a couple thousand bucks more can help then it is my duty as an American to do so.

If you want the country to work, you need help from those who can help.
                          The GOP has had its foot on the throats of its own red-state base, keeping them poor and uneducated and suspicious of any spending that will benefit society as a whole. The irony of their support for GOP tax policies designed to benefit the wealthy to their own detriment is a sad one. It's not trickle down, it's beat down.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I personally think some sort of progressive tax structure is fine.

However, it does irk me when I read statements of alleged fact like you just wrote that I might use "many times more" government infrastructure and services than others.

I'd really like to see a link on that.

I know for a fact that my neighbor doesn't make 25% of what I make. But we drive down the same street to get home, the same cop drives by both our homes, the same street light lights our street, the same sewer line hauls both of our crap away, our kids went to the same school, etc...
                            Have I ever let you down?

The top third of Americans have an income of $65K and the bottom third have an income of $37.5K (wiki).

The upper third spends twice the lower third on gas, auto maintenance, insurance...and even public transport.

The upper third spends almost three times the lower third on eating out...and pets, media equipment and services, toys and admission events.

Now what do you think these numbers would be if we compared somebody earning $30K vs. somebody who makes say $200K? Are we good?

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...res-and-income
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Have I ever let you down?

The top third of Americans have an income of $65K and the bottom third have an income of $37.5K (wiki).

The upper third spends twice the lower third on gas, auto maintenance, insurance...and even public transport.

The upper third spends almost three times the lower third on eating out...and pets, media equipment and services, toys and admission events.

Now what do you think these numbers would be if we compared somebody earning $30K vs. somebody who makes say $200K? Are we good?

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...res-and-income
                              When government infrastructure and services starts including things like gas, auto maintenance, insurance, eating out, pets, media equipment and services, toys and admission to events, I'll agree with you. Until then, you've let me down.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                flat taxes are a bad idea. Due to the diminishing marginal utility of money, a flat tax "harms" lower income people more than it harms high income people. A progressive tax structure is the most "fair".
                                The quotes around ‘fair’ weren’t necessary.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X