Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Black Bear since D-2

Re: Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    How did Entelisano look, did he play ?
    I *think* he got a couple of shifts this past weekend, but I wouldn't swear to it.

My biggest concern at present is depth in goal. Both Virtanen and Baggetta were sidelined with groin pulls, which can take forever to heal. Dickson looked fine, but UC apparently had to add a walk-on to back him up.

M'ville tonight in a rare mid-week game. Let's see how Utica bounces back from a disappointing weekend.

Black Bear since D-2

How did Entelisano look, did he play ?
    PS: Shabby, I learned tonight that Ethan Siderlne was the guy added to the active roster as the emergency goalie. He's a 2018 RFA graduate.

Here every day

Thanks fish !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Black Bear since D-2

Thanks fish !
    (Entelisano scored tonight. It went off his skate, but he was where he needed to be.)

This team is gelling. They are so young, but learning to play together. I won't be surprised if Utica makes some waves down the road.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-03-2018 at 11:36 PM.

I heard last night that G Patrik Virtanen has left school and signed a pro contract in Europe. He was missing from last night's game program and is gone from UC's online roster. Barring any mid-season transfer-ins, we'll be riding with Baggetta and Dickson between the pipes this year.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    I heard last night that G Patrik Virtanen has left school and signed a pro contract in Europe. He was missing from last night's game program and is gone from UC's online roster. Barring any mid-season transfer-ins, we'll be riding with Baggetta and Dickson between the pipes this year.
    Good luck to Patrik. He played exceptional hockey here, but I think UC will be fine. Dickson has looked very sharp and I've always been a fan of Baggs. (Re: the latter, I didn't see his dad to ask how he's healing... Anyone know when he's expected back?)

On a side-note, Freshmen have scored 9 of UC's 16 goals this season. Encouraging.

Here every day

Another roller coaster season I guess, disappointed.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    I just think itís going to be really tough in todayís D3 landscape for ANY menís team to be ďdominantĒ anymore.

There are legitimately 40 good teams now which means there are very few nights off where you can coast and still get the W.

Every league is competitive with 4 or more different teams that have a shot to win the league championship.

Itís awesome as a lifelong fan of D3 to see this kind of parity.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I just think it’s going to be really tough in today’s D3 landscape for ANY men’s team to be “dominant” anymore.

There are legitimately 40 good teams now which means there are very few nights off where you can coast and still get the W.

Every league is competitive with 4 or more different teams that have a shot to win the league championship.

It’s awesome as a lifelong fan of D3 to see this kind of parity.
    I agree. Parity reigns in all of college hockey lately. There is a lot of talent to go around; it ain't like the old days, when a handful of programs gleaned the best players year after year.

Having said that- and having watched last night's game as best I could what with the constantly buffered feed- I think UC will win a lot of games this year, and be right in the mix for the UCHC AQ.

Naz's goalie pitched a .931 save % last night... You're going to lose a few games like that. (Too bad the weekend annihilation of Endicott doesn't count, but I don't see any team in the UCHC garnering an AL bid, anyway.)

Utica has a good crop of 21YO "Freshmen". They ought to be alright going forward.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Personally, thanks to the autobid, it finally feels good not to have to be stressed or disappointed by every single loss which used to be a dagger into a smoky room bid. Just win the conference baby!

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Personally, thanks to the autobid, it finally feels good not to have to be stressed or disappointed by every single loss which used to be a dagger into a smoky room bid. Just win the conference baby!
    Well, there's that... But I'd still prefer to see the NCAA berths awarded irrespective of conference affiliation, and on an objective basis.

Thread Information