Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Head coaches want to establish their own identity/ethos & logos/whatever you want to call it.

I wouldn't put it past Joe to be firmly instilling his own culture here in Year 2, starting with with the underclassmen he had a big hand in recruiting, and strong-arming the older guys.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things and need to take off the tinfoil hat, but this sure feels like Joe's way now.

Comment

I think he is trying to instill accountability in his players and team.He is not going to play favorite to guys.
      I think in today's society there is too much I am going to take my puck, stick, and net and go home mentality if I don't get my way.
      Joe's coaching record speaks for itself. He has won everywhere he has coached before coming to Tech. That has to tell you something. I don't think he is giving up on any of his players.
      (Yeah...a bit of insomnia tonight, thus the late post).
      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
        Does Joe need to make this his team and not Mel's? It's not like Mel got fired for losing. I would think that's a mistake if that's Joe's mentality.

Listened to the JSH and in my experience coaches that have one way of leading or coaching have a rough go of it compared to the ones that adapt their motivation style and coaching to the players they have. Joe came across as a one way coach that said others aren't responding well to him compared to some of the freshmen that are showing well this early. Joe's going to have to recruit some talented players that don't necessarily respond well to intense/competitive coaching that Joe was talking about.
        If I remember correctly the team started out pretty hot last year and then had some rough patches as the new coaching style actually kicked in. Are the vets burned out on the style. The telling factor will be how the new guys are playing a month from now.
        I know the team showed results in the end but I believe something changed mid season last year that would explain the turnaround. The coaching style was tempered a bit down the stretch.
        Last edited by rustedblades; 10-30-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
          I know the team showed results in the end but I believe something changed mid season last year that would explain the turnaround. The coaching style was tempered a bit down the stretch.
          The turnaround started immediately after the game on February 2nd ended. Completely different team from then on. Best team in the WCHA from that point on in my opinion and the results showed it.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
            The turnaround started immediately after the game on February 2nd ended. Completely different team from then on. Best team in the WCHA from that point on in my opinion and the results showed it.
            You p!ss away a lot of the season by Feb 2. I hope they flip the switch earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's not overanalyze, we have to look at the results. We have a team that has played two very good Friday night games, but has not been able to follow that up on Saturday.

Coach is trying to bring consistency. The lineup is talented, but if the compete is not there through the lineup, other talented teams will take advantage.
              I don't think by any means this team is soft, I hate when they use that, but when you get down, it is hard to dig in and fight back. Anyone that has been on the wrong end of a blowout knows the feeling. Coach wants to insure best effort is brought on a consistent basis for long term success.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                Let's not overanalyze, we have to look at the results. We have a team that has played two very good Friday night games, but has not been able to follow that up on Saturday.

Coach is trying to bring consistency. The lineup is talented, but if the compete is not there through the lineup, other talented teams will take advantage.
                I don't think by any means this team is soft, I hate when they use that, but when you get down, it is hard to dig in and fight back. Anyone that has been on the wrong end of a blowout knows the feeling. Coach wants to insure best effort is brought on a consistent basis for long term success.
                I guess my question would be, knowing the coaches style and expectations already, why aren't the vets already performing the way he wants them to perform? Unless we are to believe that the guys that left carried the team through the end of the year (which I don't think is entirely the case) than why are the remaining vets not already on board and clicking the way the coach expects? I don't remember the exact way that the coach explained Brice's situation, something to the affect that he is nervous or uncomfortable in practice. Is there so much pressure on these guys and so much fear of losing their spots that they can't relax and enjoy the game. I really think that was some of the problem last year although as Coach has mentioned, there weren't as many replacement options. This goes back to my theory about coaching them up rather than beating them down. If you are in fear that your head is going to get lopped off are you going to be too tight to play the way you know you can. Just watching the few post game interviews it sounds like the coach may already be uptight himself and pressing too hard. Like I mentioned earlier we will see once the Freshman have been coached for a while whether they get better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                  I guess my question would be, knowing the coaches style and expectations already, why aren't the vets already performing the way he wants them to perform? Unless we are to believe that the guys that left carried the team through the end of the year (which I don't think is entirely the case) than why are the remaining vets not already on board and clicking the way the coach expects? I don't remember the exact way that the coach explained Brice's situation, something to the affect that he is nervous or uncomfortable in practice. Is there so much pressure on these guys and so much fear of losing their spots that they can't relax and enjoy the game. I really think that was some of the problem last year although as Coach has mentioned, there weren't as many replacement options. This goes back to my theory about coaching them up rather than beating them down. If you are in fear that your head is going to get lopped off are you going to be too tight to play the way you know you can. Just watching the few post game interviews it sounds like the coach may already be uptight himself and pressing too hard. Like I mentioned earlier we will see once the Freshman have been coached for a while whether they get better or worse.
                  I would hope that's not the case. I still believe this staff is the best, bar none, at developing players. We fans just need to be patient and as someone said it will be rough ride for a while.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Another note from the JSH, didn't he say they were flying down to Huntsville? Haven't we bussed in the past?

Comment

He did say they are flying, or at least made it sound that way.

As far as coaching and the inconsistent play, it is not natural for a player to block shots, skate to/fight for 50/50 pucks, or hustle back on D. It has to be learned and ingrained in them. They have to accept this is part of being a hockey player. Maybe the previous coach didn't emphasize as much as Joe and staff want to. That is why Joe talks about it now. In hearing him talking about the PK, it is critical for non-goalies to block shots. Without players blocking shots and taking away shooting lanes, our kill will be terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                        He did say they are flying, or at least made it sound that way.

Without players blocking shots and taking away shooting lanes, our kill will be terrible.
                        I disagree at least partially. Without someone, anyone, taking at least some of the time a shooter has at the point away, the shooter has a much better chance. Packing it in as much as we do, IMHO is a mistake.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I disagree at least partially. Without someone, anyone, taking at least some of the time a shooter has at the point away, the shooter has a much better chance. Packing it in as much as we do, IMHO is a mistake.
                          from the way he talked it sounds like he wants to be more aggressive but finds it a little more difficult chasing on a big sheet with all that space?
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Flying here is tough. I'm guessing they'll bus to Green Bay and fly to Atlanta ... and then bus another four hours here. I hate the low frequency of flights into our airport.

I'm hoping that the Southern hospitality isn't very hospitable, but ... I don't have high hopes.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

We made 2 trips to Huntsville and loved it both times. Very friendly historic town with yummy seafood, historic mansions (Sherman didn't get this one), a nice arena connected to hotel. Seats were behind our bench. bought friends the 2nd time and they loved it too. Great rocket museum. If circumstances had been different I would have done a Houghton-Madison-Huntville-Tucson trip. But saving up those airline line miles for the playoffs!!
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

oh yeah and GO TECH!! Let's bring home 4 points!
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X