Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    He also mentioned that a series with Minnesota was in the works, but when Motzko was hired they backed out...
    FTR, tMel said the same thing in 2014 (many MN fans were there for the tUMD/MTU series; we were cheering for MTU, btw). With MN wanting to play the other in-state schools, the remaining OOC games are a tough thing to schedule.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Lots of good stories of recruiting shenanigans from Joe today on the Joe Shawhan Hour.

I'm trying to figure out which Tech recruiting target chose another school that, according to Joe, lied to the player about their plan for him and brought him in too early. Joe gave enough details to narrow it down to a handful of players:

- recruited in British Columbia
      - played two years of college hockey
      - forewent (at least) one year of junior eligibility
      - not a regular in the lineup of his college team
      - currently playing for a Canadian college

Players who fit that description:

Ryan Burton (Cowichan Valley -> Union -> Brock)
      Jordan Burns (Powell River/Salmon Arm -> Alaska-Anchorage -> Regina)
      Logan Mick (Langley -> Quinnipiac -> Lethbridge)
      Colin Grannary (Merritt -> Nebraska-Omaha -> Concordia)

I'm going to guess it was Grannary. He was starting to tear up the BCHL as an 18-year-old in 2015-16, yet he struggled at Omaha.
      Last edited by redwing61; 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        FTR, tMel said the same thing in 2014 (many MN fans were there for the tUMD/MTU series; we were cheering for MTU, btw). With MN wanting to play the other in-state schools, the remaining OOC games are a tough thing to schedule.
        The difference in this case would appear to be that this was not a case of not being able to find the open dates. It sounded like it was actually all set up. At least a verbal agreement on the series... Which Motzko then backed out of.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
          Lots of good stories of recruiting shenanigans from Joe today on the Joe Shawhan Hour.

I'm trying to figure out which Tech recruiting target chose another school that, according to Joe, lied to the player about their plan for him and brought him in too early. Joe gave enough details to narrow it down to a handful of players:

- recruited in British Columbia
          - played two years of college hockey
          - forewent (at least) one year of junior eligibility
          - not a regular in the lineup of his college team
          - currently playing for a Canadian college

Players who fit that description:

Ryan Burton (Cowichan Valley -> Union -> Brock)
          Jordan Burns (Powell River/Salmon Arm -> Alaska-Anchorage -> Regina)
          Logan Mick (Langley -> Quinnipiac -> Lethbridge)
          Colin Grannary (Merritt -> Nebraska-Omaha -> Concordia)

I'm going to guess it was Grannary. He was starting to tear up the BCHL as an 18-year-old in 2015-16, yet he struggled at Omaha.
          Too much time on your hands... LOL. Joe being Joe, some great stories, love his take on recruiting and trying to do it the right way.

I've got a brother-in-law in Philly. I'm sure I've got some maps of the town if Joe needs to borrow them.. ;-)

Comment

He even snuck cats into his obligatory dog story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Saw this quote in the Daily Mining Gazette article. Badger fan here who is glad to get to see Jurusik back at the KC. He was always a fun player to watch and seemed like a good kid. Does anyone know what the injury was that he’s recovered from? Hadn’t heard of any injury issues since his second year with the Badgers.

““It looks like (Matt Jurusik) will be back and available for his first start, potentially against Wisconsin,” Shawhan said. “It looks like he’s ready to play now, so he’s on the ice practicing. I like where our goaltending is at. Last week at this time, not so much, but right now it seems to be in a pretty good place (that) seems to be evolving.””

Comment

So does that mean he's happy with the goaltending is at because Jurusik is back on the ice?

Interesting that he said "last week at this time, not so much" because after Saturday's game he said he was happy with the goaltending even though he pulled Kero after the 2nd.

I sure hope we don't go through goalie drama this year again!

Comment

I'll have to read the DMG article.

Comment

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/...-after-losses/

Comment

Thanks. And as for your question about the injury, I do not know what it was. The first I heard anything was before the first UMD game when he didn't dress. I think Dirk said something about him being "nicked up" but didn't have an explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        Thanks. And as for your question about the injury, I do not know what it was. The first I heard anything was before the first UMD game when he didn't dress. I think Dirk said something about him being "nicked up" but didn't have an explanation.

Good luck to you guys this weekend. Badgers-Huskies series are always among my favorites. Love getting even a taste of the old WCHA feeling back in the building from before the abomination that is Big 6, err, 7, err, 10 went and screwed everything up...

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          So does that mean he's happy with the goaltending is at because Jurusik is back on the ice?

Interesting that he said "last week at this time, not so much" because after Saturday's game he said he was happy with the goaltending even though he pulled Kero after the 2nd.

I sure hope we don't go through goalie drama this year again!

I suspect you will see a goal tending change for Friday night. With Coach Shawhan it is, good or bad, a black and white thing. It is all about the numbers. Kero did not meet the number Saturday night; he is out. I personally don't like it so black and white because a goaltenders performance is so dependent on the play of the supporting cast but they all know going in what the formula is. I hope I'm wrong and Kero gets another shot but I will be shocked if that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            I suspect you will see a goal tending change for Friday night. With Coach Shawhan it is, good or bad, a black and white thing. It is all about the numbers. Kero did not meet the number Saturday night; he is out. I personally don't like it so black and white because a goaltenders performance is so dependent on the play of the supporting cast but they all know going in what the formula is. I hope I'm wrong and Kero gets another shot but I will be shocked if that is the case.
                            I have absolutely no issue with Joe giving all three guys a chance to step up. A great goalie needs to make difficult stops to pickup the defense. I'm not sure Kero has ever done that with any consistency and he's usually good for a goal that has no business going in, that is a tough way to win.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              I have absolutely no issue with Joe giving all three guys a chance to step up. A great goalie needs to make difficult stops to pickup the defense. I'm not sure Kero has ever done that with any consistency and he's usually good for a goal that has no business going in, that is a tough way to win.
                              I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                As in any endeavor and maybe more so in sport, confidence plays a huge role in performance. If you constantly tell a person they can't do it, eventually they can't. If you encourage them and tell them they can, most will. Obviously you need the knowledge and skill to perform but I don't believe any of these guys would be there if they didn't have some degree of knowledge and skill. I truly believe the most important and probably least focused on, aspect of sport and life in general is the mental aspect. When you see athletes that are "in the zone" it is usually because they are confident and positive that they can perform. The wrong type of coaching, feedback, etc. can zap confidence in a hurry and result in poor performance. Most top professional athletes have a professional sport psychologists to keep them focused on the positive aspects of their game, often times to help them flush the coaches negativity, pressure, etc. Unfortunately most college athletes can't afford their own psychologist and teams don't have them on staff so the athlete is left to manage the mental aspect of the game on their own.

In team sport where you have more players than positions there will always be someone that is not "as good as the next guy". This assessment is not always a fair one and may be based on scholarship vs no scholarship, drafted vs un-drafted (in professional sports), to a lesser extent pedigree (parents are former players, alums, donors, etc.). I believe to be a very successful coach you must find a way to keep all players positive and feeling good about their game. Coach em up, not beat em down and/or lop off their heads if you will.

Without being part of the locker room, on ice in practice or on the bench in a game it is hard to know for sure exactly what kind of Coach Shawhan is but from the tone of a lot of his pre and post game interviews, JSH's etc. he sounds like he focuses a lot on the negative. Do you focus on the one leaker that the goalie gave up or do you focus on the other 30 great saves he made and build off of that, coach him up. Do you focus on the one time the defenseman made a bad read and skated in to traffic or the 20 times he made perfect, quick outlet passes, coach em up. Do you focus on the forwards one missed assignment that cost you a goal or the rest of the game where he covered perfectly and applied good offensive pressure, coach em up.

I guess the point of my rambling is, you said Kero played well this weekend, coach him up, put him in again and build his confidence.

On another note, what's going on with Brice? I thought he made great strides last year and expected him to be a regular this season. I guess I am a little partial to the local guys.

Go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X