X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    I guess you can look at the weekend to contrast with the horrible Umile process (not saying Umile's only failing) of burying an NHL player on the 4th line, so that seniors Max Gaudreault, Kyle Smith, Colin MacDonald and Jamie Hill could skate first two lines

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/15...s/mclkunh1.o17

It seems Souza learned from that, and this weekend had lots of freshmen including Esposito on first line, Pierson on PP, and Crookshank playing regularly, while seniors Boyd, Miller, Cefalu and Dawson saw limited time.

The problem is there aren't that many freshmen talented like Foegele. Crookshank deserves, and I imagine Engaras when he becomes eligible will move up to top 2 lines in place of Esposito. The tradeoff of playing frosh is they take 10 games to get used to the speed, so the offense will be rough. Add Nazarian when returns from injury, and hopefully by year end there is some semblance of offense.

The focus on this past weekend and next misses the important fact that that's why they play games on paper, not on the ice. The games are pretty irrellevant to knowing how Souza is doing.

The growth of those frosh is the one thing to look at to tell us where the program is next year and the year after.

The second thing to look at is whether Guiliano gains any traction on recruiting. Right now the pipeline is below average, particularly on D. When Gildon leaves after this year, they will have one above average D, and the incoming are not strong. There is a gap, in large part because of the James Miller/Corson Green (and one more) group of commitments that pay no dividends. I'd say their prospects on offense are better than on D for the future, and even there, the offensive recruits, apart from the flier on Stutzle, seem to be average. Scott Morrow soon, please?

With the recruiting process going to a "just-in-time" model rather than the early commitments used by most top programs, they have to hope someone falls to them. I keep hoping UNH returns to playing for younger guys like when they saw Crookshank. There are interesting possibilities -- can they get in on young higher ceiling guys Johnson, Bulawka, Evans, or on D Ardanaz? Or are they going to continue to snag "older" guys like Verboom, Glasman? The latter are the kind of kids that are the payoffs for waiting out the early recruiting commitments. Either way, let's see if Guiliano has any aptitude for recruiting, either in selling/recruiting the wanted younger kids, or if you are picking through the bargain bin, an eye to getting the right older guy.
    Welcome back, 'Watcher. Agree and totally agree. Not that recruiting has ever been my UNH "sweet spot", but having three relatively young guys working the pipeline instead of just two, you have to think that bodes well for an uptick, which we seemed to be seeing right at the very end of last season, when Coach Umile's time was almost done.

But the guys are going to have to be able to point to some semblance of on-ice progress if the players they're likely targeting are going to give them any serious consideration. And I still think the failure of two-thirds of the current recruiting team to really start to generate the kind of recruiting buzz over the last three seasons in situ is something they're all going to wish they'd done a better job at, because it really could have cushioned the program during the current transition - something I have to believe BS35+6 expected would have been the whole point of adopting this approach to begin with*?

* - probably the most pro-BS35+6 comment you're ever likely going to read from me on this site, ever …
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Same to you - Enjoy the trip! Eat at bagel and deli!
      ahhh... the Tonya Harding Club.. great sandwich
      UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        There's going to be lumps and losses and a few wins to make it ok. Could we hope for a split this weekend Dan with CC? That would be awesome. You said our D would have their work cut out for them. What else can we expect from the Tigers?
        Certainly, UNH could split at CC. I would expect that to be the likely outcome - but they will have to play a lot better to make that a reality. CC is definitely trending upward each season under Mike Haviland and they are off to a hot-start (if not entirely consistent) this season. They have been very dangerous offensively. The pre-season weakness at CC would have been their defense and goaltending, but they have been VERY good on that end in three of their first four games. The question marks around CC's performance to date would certainly be the calibre of their opponents. Alaska-Anchorage and Alabama-Huntsville are consistently among the worst teams in college hockey, in recent years, and Air Force (who they did beat 6-1) is easily the best team they've played.

They've scored 20 goals in four games - including a 10-spot on UAA in their season opener. They haven't been consistent in finishing (just a 1-0 win over UAH), but one thing they will absolutely do is skate fast and put a lot of pucks on net. Despite scoring just one goal against UAH, they threw 47 pucks on net. They've found a real strong and deep top-nine, led by their high-scoring line from last season - Halloran (19-26--45), Bergh (18-22--40) and Bradley (7-24--31) - and bolstered by breakout/newcomer performances this season in Berardinelli (4-1--5), Michaud (3-2--5), freshman Cruikshank (1-4--5), North Dakota transfer Wilkie (2-2--4), Versich (1-3--4) and freshman Copeland (2-1--3). They are deep up front. They play on a completely different level offensively than Colgate - looking to really push the tempo, play fast and attack, as opposed to Colgate's defense first, push-forward when you have clear openings type of offense...

Defensively, CC can be gotten too. They have a couple of nice puck movies in freshman Yoon and Blumenschein - otherwise they're big, physical and somewhat slow. UNH needs to play fast and attack their defense in transition and keep pucks moving. Alex LeClerc is a small, but talented goaltender - who depends a lot on the play of the defensemen in front of him. If they don't play well, he can be beaten. He can also flat out steal a game on his own. If they do play well in front of him, he's tough to beat. Last year he posted modest numbers, including a 3.21 GAA and a .907 SPCT. This year he is off to a great start with a .964 SPCT and a 0.75 GAA in 3 games. The other goalies have been bad and he'll likely see all 120 minutes this weekend. If they do go to another goalie it will do UNH a huge favor - the likely choice would be Calvaruso who has an .899 career SPCT in 9 games and allowed four goals on 23 shots against UAA in their opening weekend...

I think UNH will play better this weekend against CC - as they usually do against teams that play up tempo, open skating games. Thats still the game UNH wants to play, even though they don't have the horses they used to run out on a nightly basis. Without their past levels of talent, UNH has really struggled against defensive styles like the trap played by Colgate. They don't have the talent to beat those systems. I think we'll see more of the transition game and offensive tempo Souza spoke about during the pre-season this weekend at CC - but can UNH do that and maintain a necessary level of play defensively? If they get into a run and gun game are they capable of outscoring CC? How will UNH's goaltender's stand up to 35-45 SOG? It will be an interesting series...

I predicted a split and I stand by that prediction for now. CC sweeping would not surprise me at all - if UNH manages 3 or 4 points, it would definitely surprise me, but would be a very good result and sign for this team's resiliency...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

I guess you can look at the weekend to contrast with the horrible Umile process (not saying Umile's only failing) of burying an NHL player on the 4th line, so that seniors Max Gaudreault, Kyle Smith, Colin MacDonald and Jamie Hill could skate first two lines

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/15...s/mclkunh1.o17

It seems Souza learned from that, and this weekend had lots of freshmen including Esposito on first line, Pierson on PP, and Crookshank playing regularly, while seniors Boyd, Miller, Cefalu and Dawson saw limited time.

The problem is there aren't that many freshmen talented like Foegele. Crookshank deserves, and I imagine Engaras when he becomes eligible will move up to top 2 lines in place of Esposito. The tradeoff of playing frosh is they take 10 games to get used to the speed, so the offense will be rough. Add Nazarian when returns from injury, and hopefully by year end there is some semblance of offense.

The focus on this past weekend and next misses the important fact that that's why they play games on paper, not on the ice. The games are pretty irrellevant to knowing how Souza is doing.

The growth of those frosh is the one thing to look at to tell us where the program is next year and the year after.

The second thing to look at is whether Guiliano gains any traction on recruiting. Right now the pipeline is below average, particularly on D. When Gildon leaves after this year, they will have one above average D, and the incoming are not strong. There is a gap, in large part because of the James Miller/Corson Green (and one more) group of commitments that pay no dividends. I'd say their prospects on offense are better than on D for the future, and even there, the offensive recruits, apart from the flier on Stutzle, seem to be average. Scott Morrow soon, please?

With the recruiting process going to a "just-in-time" model rather than the early commitments used by most top programs, they have to hope someone falls to them. I keep hoping UNH returns to playing for younger guys like when they saw Crookshank. There are interesting possibilities -- can they get in on young higher ceiling guys Johnson, Bulawka, Evans, or on D Ardanaz? Or are they going to continue to snag "older" guys like Verboom, Glasman? The latter are the kind of kids that are the payoffs for waiting out the early recruiting commitments. Either way, let's see if Guiliano has any aptitude for recruiting, either in selling/recruiting the wanted younger kids, or if you are picking through the bargain bin, an eye to getting the right older guy.
          Nice analysis Watcher!

Comment

First two game look like we are starting in a similar trend to last season. Cant expect ANY team to be over .500 if you only are able to score 1 or 2 goals a night. Ty Conklin was probably the best goaltender we have had in the last 20 years. He had between a 1.84 - 2.49 GAA during his 3 years in Durham. He is not walking in the door anytime soon. The fact of the matter is we NEED to score goals. Cant expect anything more than you got from Robinson and Taylor this weekend. They need help. It is going to be another long season if UNH has trouble scoring goals. Long gone are the days of free Frosty's at Wendy's when UNH would hit the was it 5 goal mark.

Ill be in the springs this weekend. Looking to see Souza's first two W's!

Comment

A few points for Watcher’s post…

1) I agree that any progress for this team and the program are not measured in present day results. The team needs to take steps forward off the ice to see any tangible improvement on the ice. Recruiting remains the most important factor by far…

2) And while, I don’t begrudge anyone from being hopeful or optimistic I think it needs to be acknowledged that when we discuss what needs to change for UNH moving forward – primarily recruiting, but also development we have to recognize that Souza has been here for three years DIRECTLY in charge of recruiting and heavily involved in player development. I’m not sure why we continue to look for landmarks for when change can begin. The Souza era began three years ago. He has been responsible for ALL recruiting decisions. He has been the coach tasked with coaching offensive systems and development. That said…

3) Why do we expect things to change in that regard? The systems look the same. The talking points are the same. He talked a lot about speed, transition and playing an up-tempo and attacking style. UNH may not have exhibited those traits the last few years – but it has been the team’s preferred ‘style’ since Umile took over the program in the early ‘90’s. They’ve tried to play that way all these years. It simply hasn’t worked because they haven’t been good enough. I think this is fair to be discussed – though I think it is irrelevant to the bigger issue of recruiting.

And why would we expect UNH’s recruiting strategy of the last three years to change? Souza has been in charge the entire time. The results have been average at best – with slow pacing, a lack of aggression and an over-reliance on the just-in-time commitment. That was supposed to change when Souza became the head coach (there was a narrative with some that Umile was holding him back) – but it hasn’t. Since the end of last season they desperately grabbed a few more FR to save this incoming class. Otherwise, they have added a mere TWO commitments – a pair of average forwards. Then it was the new assistant who was supposed to change things up. Yet, since Giuliano’s hire they have committed zero new players.

Additionally, I don’t buy the idea that Giuliano was hired to be the main recruiter. He was hired with absolutely zero recruiting experience. That was what WE all wanted to see addressed with the hire, but I don’t think that’s what was actually addressed. Additionally, I’m not sure its what Souza felt needed to be addressed. Souza made his name (debatable resume not withstanding) being a personably guy expected to excel in the recruiting arena. I think he believes he is that guy. UNH recruiting has run through him since he got here and I think that will be the case moving forward – not through Stewart or Giuliano. I don’t see him turning the new guy loose to pick up guys without Souza himself doing a lot of follow-up and making the final decisions. This is not Borek doing all the shopping for Umile. And I see no reason to think otherwise except hopefulness for change…

Souza’s three-year track-record at UNH has been slow-recruiting and desperation grabs at the last minute to fill holes. Three years is a significant trend. I don’t expect much to change. It should. But have they shown us anything that leads us to believe it will? I think they have their strategy in place. So, we are left to hope they get better and more consistent results moving forward…

4) In this day and age, I don’t think you need to wait 10 games for FR to impact the scoresheet in college hockey if they’re given the opportunity. For comparison, take a look at three other programs that will be relying heavily on FR this year – CC, DU and UMass. Through two games, UMass has 3-5--8 from its FR class. CC (4 games) and DU (2) both have 10 points from their first-year players, as well as four and three goals, respectively. Maine's top FR put up a three-point weekend. UConn had two freshman put up two-point games in their opener to lead their team. UNH got 1-0—1 in 11 man-games, and with many playing major roles, from its entire freshmen last weekend. As much as I like this year's UNH class - these numbers are telling...

5) I’m not sure I needed last weekend – or even ten games – to know what this class was. A group of solid to above average players bolstered by three just-in-time commits (Taylor, Engaras, MacKinnon) and an accelerated Pierson that likely needs a year or two. They’ll get better. They’ll be a good class – potentially a good goalie, a two-way forward, two 100 point scorers and a steady defenseman. But they’re really have to be measured by how they stack up to other HE classes not recent UNH classes. And in that regard will they be the class that puts UNH back on track to HE success? Not without further recruiting classes stacked up behind them of equal quality PLUS a few truly dynamic talents along the lines of a TK/AP. And they wont get there shopping in the left-over bin…

6) While the major sign-posts for whether or not things will turn around under Souza may be off the ice – it is crucial, in my opinion, that UNH shows some forward momentum on the ice. You don't recruit in a vacuum and you certainly make your job MUCH more difficult when you're not competitive. If you want to venture into the young or competitive older recruiting bins, than you need to show some tangible improvement after the last three years. There are plenty of upperclass pieces playing in the top-six and top-four, as well. They should have developed by now to the point that UNH should not have been completely shutout of the scoring areas five-on-five last weekend. The junior class (BVR, Sacco, Wyse, Blackburn, Fregona and Grasso) was a highly regarded offensive group - they posted 1 point on the weekend. They don't have the adjustment excuse. This team SHOULD BE a lot better offensively than what they showed last weekend. There are enough pieces. That's an on-ice reflection that needs to change...

Its just one weekend, and I wont judge the team, the coaches or the freshmen based on that - but I can't dismiss it either. Impressionable recruits are forming opinions every weekend. Things need to get better right away for the current season and the future...
              Last edited by Dan; 10-15-2018, 06:27 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Krog Pond View Post
                First two game look like we are starting in a similar trend to last season. Cant expect ANY team to be over .500 if you only are able to score 1 or 2 goals a night. Ty Conklin was probably the best goaltender we have had in the last 20 years. He had between a 1.84 - 2.49 GAA during his 3 years in Durham. He is not walking in the door anytime soon. The fact of the matter is we NEED to score goals. Cant expect anything more than you got from Robinson and Taylor this weekend. They need help. It is going to be another long season if UNH has trouble scoring goals. Long gone are the days of free Frosty's at Wendy's when UNH would hit the was it 5 goal mark.

Ill be in the springs this weekend. Looking to see Souza's first two W's!
                I disagree. Last year we began 5-1-1 scoring 28 goals in 7 games, then the trend was all downhill into the dumpster with only 5 more wins. This season we have begun 0-2-0, with 1 goal in 2 games. I certainly hope that the trend will be the reverse of last year, but I am beginning to think that may not be the case.

Comment

UNH has had problems with trapping teams on their home ice since the Whit opened.

Colgate has a small rink with a trap defense and attack and the referees certainly let holding and grabbing sticks for the home team. We had problems with trapping teams in our heyday and we just have to score first and were not able to make it happen.

I think Souza and Stewart recruits are very good players with some very high end offensive talent. Our first 5 on defense is as good as we have had in a long time. Yes, we had two NHL caliber defensemen a few years back, but it is the heart of our team.

You may be right about our team, but I want to stay positive as their recruits are high end entering one year earlier than most.

Wise and Maass are really good defensemen with offensive upside. Gildon and MacKinnon looked very good this past weekend and our top 4 is the best we have had in the recent past. I do believe you are underestimated Verrier as he played well in the USHL and will be dressing regularly this season and will only get better/

Our two scholarship athlete goaltenders ( Robinson and Taylor) are both Draft Picks in the NHL and are both tall and cover a lot of net with athletic ability.

The offense should be good over time.

The third line was the best line 5 on 5 and they all play on the power play. I hope Nazarian is back this weekend but I do not know for certain. Vela, Esposito and Macadams are not like most first lines in the past and the scoring is expected from the 2nd and 3rd lines until Naz comes back. They seem to be copying the old UMASS/Northeastern model of playing your best offensive players on the 3rd line even strength as they will have better opportunities.

Pierson, Crookshank and Grasso would be a great second or third line and all three will probably be on first power play soon. Grasso and Crookshank will do better with Pierson as they are all fast skaters and have great hands.

Engaras will be a 3rd liner by Thanksgiving and we have some very good grinders with some talent on the 4th line.

I know I am always optimistic but give them a chance and stop worrying about when the gets happen. Mackinnon was the only late commit this year and he will be a solid player and we should be happy to have him.

Please wait until mid-November as I do believe in Souza for UNH's future. I want you to set up a list of players recruited by Souza and Steward and one from Borek and Lassonde and Torterella and see if there is a quality difference with the people on our roster. It is true we lost a lot of top recruits when Coach Borek left, but the players on our roster.

Deep breaths until they find the line match-ups that will work well together going forward. We do have a few good defensemen and a few forwards with scoring ability coming in next year.

See you at the World Center and thanks for your opinions of UNH's near future.

Comment

The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Welcome to the 'Cats Will!!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

1932 -

You may be surprised to know we agree on some things. And, perhaps, less so that we disagree on some other issues...

* I also like our defenseman and goaltenders. Very much so. I think the defense is the best group since the players who spanned the 2012-14 seasons. And that is heady praise as I think that group might be the best in school history with TVR, Pesce, Knodel, Hardowa, Kostolansky, Agosta all playing on UNHs last tournament team in front of Casey DeSmith. That said I'd echo Watcher's sentiment about the current group. Gildon is likely gone after this season. Wyse, certainly, and Maass potentially the year after. Before this group can really flourish they will be broken apart and I do not share your enthusiasm for the defenseman committed to the program the next couple of years...

* This forward class is well received. Long overdue. The best UNH group since that Poturalski/Foegel class. But again, I can't compare current or future UNH recruiting classes to their predecessors. I compare them to what is being brought in around HE. They need to beat their opponents if they want to climb the HE ladder and they need to beat most of them if they want to get back to the top. This class is a nice start. But they need to replicate and improve again and again if they want to make it count. The only future forward recruit that I think plays top-six on a 'good' HE team is Stutzle.

* I think this forward class compares well to the current junior class (or third year's) - who were also lauded highly at the time as the best forward group UNH had added in a while. Crookshank/Blackburn, Pierson/Grasso, BVR/Cippolone - with no real comp for Engaras (which is a plus), Esposito or Fregona. It is put up or shut-up season for the juniors. They have to live up to expectations. Best case, I think they currently illustrate that this group of FR (as opposed to DUs - where I want to see UNH end up) will need at least some time to become top-six contributors in production and not just role.

* This has been UNHs biggest problem (depth) and history just might be repeating itself. Based on current recruits - when this FR class becomes upperclassmen ready to compete at the highest level who skates with them? UNH has had talented players the last few years. Just not enough! Kelleher and Poturalski were as good as it gets in terms of college forwards. Period. But even they couldn't do it on their own. This class needs reinforcements. They have to stack classes. One good one will win you nothing...

* I don't think it's a fair comparison to match up Borek/Souza recruits on the current roster. Souza's been at the helm for three years he should win that debate easily - and I'm not sure he even does. A more fair comparison would include recent Borek graduates or even Boreks gets at PC, players who might have ended up in Durham. Either way I'd rather just discuss what UNH actually has...

* The timing of the gets matters greatly. FYI, Engaras committed at the same time MacKinnon did. Both commits were noted by the Heisenberg site on the exact same day. You are right that Taylor committed earlier than I remembered off the top of my head, but he still committed the semester before enrolling into a starting job. That is last minute by today's standards. The timing matters to me because it does not illustrate an innate recruiting ability - simply an ability to have money available when no one else does. You can't win top talent that way consistently because top talent commits early when everyone has money. Salesmanship matters. And it is entirely dependent on the random chance that good players will even be available.

* I like the FR playing major roles. I like Souza at least being willing to take a late kid when Umile never would have wanted to do so. I like the forays into Europe. But I need to see more. I am not the negative Nancy people want to make me out to be. I am a fan eager to discuss the past, future and absolutely the present of UNH hockey. The present has not been kind - and while you are the optimistic type I am the show me type. They can start with two wins and sustained offense at CC...

* Perhaps others find it difficult, but I have no problem throwing full support behind the current team (in particular the players who do nothing but give it their all) while debating the state of the program. Which again...
                        Last edited by Dan; 10-15-2018, 07:52 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

And I will always give credit where credit is due - picking up an intriguing player who has dominated the prep level, can score, has attended multiple Select Festivals and seems destined for the USHL is solid. Keep it going...
                          Last edited by Dan; 10-17-2018, 03:38 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Souza is the head coach now, not three years ago. Obviously, Souza has a lot of respect for Umile and would NEVER undermine him! First rule of sales with a senior salesman; I'll do the talking so shut up! Souza's time began last weekend, not three years ago.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Souza is the head coach now, not three years ago. Obviously, Souza has a lot of respect for Umile and would NEVER undermine him! First rule of sales with a senior salesman; I'll do the talking so shut up! Souza's time began last weekend, not three years ago.
                              Everyone is free to view the situation how they see fit - but that will never be how I view the situation. I don't agree with your analogy. Souza was not some junior salesman. He was the head coach in waiting and given full control over recruiting. He wasn't a simple assistant thrust into the role after an unexpected departure by the old HC. This is not a standard succession. It was strictly put in place for him to hit the ground running this season...

New HCs are given 'a few years' based entirely on the idea that they need to recruit their players to fit their system, etc. Souza did all the recruiting for the past three seasons and he has stated he wants to run a very similar system - this is his team. Any idea that Umile (who outsourced recruiting for years when it was his own neck on the line) handcuffed him or told him who he had to recruit (or how to recruit) for teams that Souza would coach is simply misguided...

As an assistant Souza worked hands on with the current players as they've developed as much as anyone. I'm sure he always supported whatever lineup Umile wanted to run out last year or any disciplinary decision he made. None of that effects this year's team nearly as much as the hands on coaching and recruiting of the past three years does...

Perhaps it's semantics. He isn't judged by the win loss record of the last few years. Last place, last season ultimately falls on Dick Umile. But the work Souza did the last three years to lead up to the brink of this, his inaugural HC season, is also quite evident and available for inspection...

I agree his time began last weekend - but I agree because it began with drop of the puck last weekend. The grace period of building his team WAS the last three years. Every player on this team is here because he, Mike Souza, chose for them to be. This season is absolutely his to own (and he can and should be graded fully on the on- and off- ice outcomes)...

---

At the same time, he absolutely can be evaluated on the last three years of recruiting. That was his show and the results of the last three years belong to him. For better or worse. And since recruiting is what will continue to make or break UNH moving forward I think evaluation of the last three years is certainly pertinent...
                              Last edited by Dan; 10-15-2018, 08:58 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Dan nailed it. e.cat, with all due respect, your example does not fit, unless your junior sales guy was developing his own leads for the last three years. Souza was that guy when he was starting out at Brown. Arguably, you can say he may have had some of the same restrictions at UConn. But being the HC in waiting for three (3) years at UNH, working for a guy who stopped shopping for his own groceries a generation ago … that's a whole different scenario. These are ALL Souza's players out there.

No one is panicking after one tough weekend - just stating facts. And I (unfortunately) expect less than most of you expect for the rest of this season. Trust me, I'm old enough where I'd rather be wrong than right, and *maybe* it will turn out like things did for Coach MacDonnell, with a slow start before Souza hits his stride. But even with Coach MacDonnell it took five mediocre seasons before he turned the boat around. And I'm pretty sure that while he was an assistant under Coach Bowes, there was never a three year plan where MacDonnell was told the HC job was going to be his when Coach Bowes (got) retired.

MacDonnell got a five year run to turn things around, and he was working with the worst facilities in his division. If Souza is given a similar time for treading water, there will be long-lasting damage done to the UNH Hockey program. Arguably (and not due to Souza) there already has been significant damage caused by Umile's lingering too long. It needs to be reversed, and positive signs need to be emerging by the end of this season or next season. As Dan points out, things we've seen over the last three-plus seasons can accurately be described as a trend, not a "small sample size" of one weekend at Colgate.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X