X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks!

Comment

Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Has anyone tallied the won-loss records for say five years before and the number of games after new expensive scoreboards were installed at the Whitt and Cowell Stadium? Any chance that the scoreboards could be taken down and sold on EBay or Craig's List? Yes, I know, I was for the Jumbotron before I was against the Jumbotron.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Many thanks!
        Any time you want line charts for a previous game go here:

Collegehockeystats.net

They run live stats for every game and then afterwards archive all the games. Stats are uploaded directly from the SIDs themselves and season stats, schedules and boxes are archived back to 2000. It's an amazing site.

For example - did you know that in his first game as a Wildcat Warren Foegele played third line right wing (and registered four shots on goal) alongside Poturalski and Kelleher on the 'what might have been line'...

http://collegehockeystats.net/1415/boxes/munhuni1.o11

He would soon be demoted, wasting his offensive talent and planting the seeds for his jump to MJ. Oh and Mike Vecchione was 1-1--2 in the game as well...
        Last edited by Dan; 10-13-2018, 11:12 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Can’t say I was focused on UNH Hockey today but I did log onto the ESPN app and watched a period and a half while watching the football team implode. Suffice to say that the hockey team has a lot of work to do. Colgate is terrible but UNH is worse. The Souzamen did not attack the net once during the time I watched the game. No attempt to push the puck up through center ice. No aggressiveness down low. The PP was abysmal with lots of zone time but the end result was a wrist shot by Gildon or Wyse from the blue line. Goaltending was okay, but so what. They were playing a team that was inept as them. Souza and the assistants need to shake it up, and pronto. Force the action and, if it is fruitless, so what. You’re going no where this year but set the tone for years to come. The last thing we need is more moribund hockey. All I ask is that you play exciting enough hockey to make me think about getting season tickets again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Any time you want line charts for a previous game go here:

Collegehockeystats.net

They run live stats for every game and then afterwards archive all the games. Stats are uploaded directly from the SIDs themselves and season stats, schedules and boxes are archived back to 2000. It's an amazing site.

For example - did you know that in his first game as a Wildcat Warren Foegele played third line right wing (and registered four shots on goal) alongside Poturalski and Kelleher on the 'what might have been line'...

http://collegehockeystats.net/1415/boxes/munhuni1.o11

He would soon be demoted, wasting his offensive talent and planting the seeds for his jump to MJ. Oh and Mike Vecchione was 1-1--2 in the game as well...
            I cannot believe that I did not know about the stats site, or I had forgotten about it; thanks, Dan.

Comment

Jason Salvaggio scored the first goal in the history of the Maine Mariners tonight. The Mariners are the new ECHL team in Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac View Post
                Jason Salvaggio scored the first goal in the history of the Maine Mariners tonight. The Mariners are the new ECHL team in Portland.
                That was pretty cool! Also in that game were former UNH players Matias Cleland and John Furgele. Not sure if Shane Eiserman played for the Thunder..
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Too bad they couldn't find a way to use him while he was here.

Comment

I guess you can look at the weekend to contrast with the horrible Umile process (not saying Umile's only failing) of burying an NHL player on the 4th line, so that seniors Max Gaudreault, Kyle Smith, Colin MacDonald and Jamie Hill could skate first two lines

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/15...s/mclkunh1.o17

It seems Souza learned from that, and this weekend had lots of freshmen including Esposito on first line, Pierson on PP, and Crookshank playing regularly, while seniors Boyd, Miller, Cefalu and Dawson saw limited time.

The problem is there aren't that many freshmen talented like Foegele. Crookshank deserves, and I imagine Engaras when he becomes eligible will move up to top 2 lines in place of Esposito. The tradeoff of playing frosh is they take 10 games to get used to the speed, so the offense will be rough. Add Nazarian when returns from injury, and hopefully by year end there is some semblance of offense.

The focus on this past weekend and next misses the important fact that that's why they play games on paper, not on the ice. The games are pretty irrellevant to knowing how Souza is doing.

The growth of those frosh is the one thing to look at to tell us where the program is next year and the year after.

The second thing to look at is whether Guiliano gains any traction on recruiting. Right now the pipeline is below average, particularly on D. When Gildon leaves after this year, they will have one above average D, and the incoming are not strong. There is a gap, in large part because of the James Miller/Corson Green (and one more) group of commitments that pay no dividends. I'd say their prospects on offense are better than on D for the future, and even there, the offensive recruits, apart from the flier on Stutzle, seem to be average. Scott Morrow soon, please?

With the recruiting process going to a "just-in-time" model rather than the early commitments used by most top programs, they have to hope someone falls to them. I keep hoping UNH returns to playing for younger guys like when they saw Crookshank. There are interesting possibilities -- can they get in on young higher ceiling guys Johnson, Bulawka, Evans, or on D Ardanaz? Or are they going to continue to snag "older" guys like Verboom, Glasman? The latter are the kind of kids that are the payoffs for waiting out the early recruiting commitments. Either way, let's see if Guiliano has any aptitude for recruiting, either in selling/recruiting the wanted younger kids, or if you are picking through the bargain bin, an eye to getting the right older guy.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-14-2018, 12:39 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Going forward I plan on enjoying the gains they are going to make over the coarse of this season. I don't know any other way to look at it. I'm thrilled we have some new players who are going to get playing time, because they are the future of this program right now. I'm looking forward to when Ara Nazarian is healthy and can join the line up, along with Engaras. There's going to be lumps and losses and a few wins to make it ok. Could we hope for a split this weekend Dan with CC? That would be awesome. You said our D would have their work cut out for them. What else can we expect from the Tigers?
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-15-2018, 02:41 AM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        I guess you can look at the weekend to contrast with the horrible Umile process (not saying Umile's only failing) of burying an NHL player on the 4th line, so that seniors Max Gaudreault, Kyle Smith, Colin MacDonald and Jamie Hill could skate first two lines

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/15...s/mclkunh1.o17

It seems Souza learned from that, and this weekend had lots of freshmen including Esposito on first line, Pierson on PP, and Crookshank playing regularly, while seniors Boyd, Miller, Cefalu and Dawson saw limited time.

The problem is there aren't that many freshmen talented like Foegele. Crookshank deserves, and I imagine Engaras when he becomes eligible will move up to top 2 lines in place of Esposito. The tradeoff of playing frosh is they take 10 games to get used to the speed, so the offense will be rough. Add Nazarian when returns from injury, and hopefully by year end there is some semblance of offense.

The focus on this past weekend and next misses the important fact that that's why they play games on paper, not on the ice. The games are pretty irrellevant to knowing how Souza is doing.

The growth of those frosh is the one thing to look at to tell us where the program is next year and the year after.

The second thing to look at is whether Guiliano gains any traction on recruiting. Right now the pipeline is below average, particularly on D. When Gildon leaves after this year, they will have one above average D, and the incoming are not strong. There is a gap, in large part because of the James Miller/Corson Green (and one more) group of commitments that pay no dividends. I'd say their prospects on offense are better than on D for the future, and even there, the offensive recruits, apart from the flier on Stutzle, seem to be average. Scott Morrow soon, please?

With the recruiting process going to a "just-in-time" model rather than the early commitments used by most top programs, they have to hope someone falls to them. I keep hoping UNH returns to playing for younger guys like when they saw Crookshank. There are interesting possibilities -- can they get in on young higher ceiling guys Johnson, Bulawka, Evans, or on D Ardanaz? Or are they going to continue to snag "older" guys like Verboom, Glasman? The latter are the kind of kids that are the payoffs for waiting out the early recruiting commitments. Either way, let's see if Guiliano has any aptitude for recruiting, either in selling/recruiting the wanted younger kids, or if you are picking through the bargain bin, an eye to getting the right older guy.
                        Couldn't agree more!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Going forward I plan on enjoying the gains they are going to make over the coarse of this season. I don't know any other way to look at it. I'm thrilled we have some new players who are going to get playing time, because they are the future of this program right now. I'm looking forward to when Ara Nazarian is healthy and can join the line up, along with Engaras. There's going to be lumps and losses and a few wins to make it ok. Could we hope for a split this weekend Dan with CC? That would be awesome. You said our D would have their work cut out for them. What else can we expect from the Tigers?

If you were setting goals for this team right now, what would they be?
                          What's wrong with Naz?

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            What's wrong with Naz?
                            Well I am assuming he’s injured...maybe Coach Souza will mention it at his weekly presser (that is if he is having one). Those were usually held on Wednesday’s but not sure if that’s still the drill?
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Well I am assuming he’s injured...maybe Coach Souza will mention it at his weekly presser (that is if he is having one). Those were usually held on Wednesday’s but not sure if that’s still the drill?
                              Billichickian

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                Billichickian
                                We're movin' on to CC Next Q!

Comment

Working...
                                X