X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Pretty optimistic, don't you think? I'd be happy for them just to win it. Asking for four straight AGAIN is a lot!
    Well of course that's highly optimistic! But hey sometimes you just never know about these things...yup as long as they win I'm with you on that!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      The same Amherst team that just beat #1 Ohio State?
      Yup, that one. I expect them to win the D-1 title any year now. UConn will be right behind 'em.

But somehow the 'Cats will snag their first win of the season in that one, if not against UVM.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        NEW WIS CONTEST - GUESS COACH SOUZA'S FIRST WIN?

It's almost ludicrous to point to a game in October and say it's a "must win" proposition, but this coming weekend's home opener against UVM may be as close as it ever gets to such an occasion. As pointed out by a few posters in the last 24 hours, your UNH Wildcats have incredibly won a grand total of one (1) game during the 2018 calendar year, and looking at the rest of the pre-break 2018 schedule (UNH does return from the break with one final 2018 game, hosting the high-flying Falcons of Bentley on Dec. 30th), it's hard to find any "cupcakes" waiting to be devoured.

Of course, channeling the conventional wisdom of the last few seasons, you'll all recall the saying that "if you can't spot the cupcakes on your schedule, then YOU'RE the cupcake". So after the Catamounts leave town next weekend, the UNH schedule is dotted with the likes of Providence, BU, BC, and the Amherst Red Army, among other lesser lights. So if the first W does not arrive next weekend … when does it arrive? Dan's alma mater Miami, with two home games on the trot? Providence at home, which may have been the last quality W of the Umile Era around that same time last season? Does it take until Dartmouth?? Or is there an unlikely upset W lurking out there?

Just to put my $$$ where my mouth is, I'll pick the November 3rd game against the Amherst Red Army. But UNH may be an underdog for every game until Miami arrives (or maybe even Dartmouth?).

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but with some winnable games already having been squandered, WIS also sets the over/under for wins before the break at a modest 3.5 - down from the 4.5 set in the preseason line. Again, remember - the Bentley game is after the break, although technically still a 2018 game. So … here's the schedule, take your pick(s), and please take it in stride as a fun exercise during a season where the measuring stick of progress is going to be on other less easily measured things.

Oct. 27 Vermont HockeyRef Snively65
        Nov. 3 Massachusetts Chuck
        Nov. 9 @ UMass Lowell
        Nov. 10 (13) Boston University
        Nov. 16 @ (18) Boston College
        Nov. 18 @ Massachusetts
        Nov. 23 Miami
        Nov. 24 Miami
        Nov. 30 @ (5) Providence
        Dec. 1 (5) Providence
        Dec. 7 @ Dartmouth
        Dec. 8 Dartmouth
        ok, I'll bite...and be daring enough to go for this coming weekend against UVM. Let's go 'Cats!!! Beat those other 'Cats!!!
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-22-2018, 01:46 PM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Will someone clarify for me.... BVR was an "extra skater" this weekend making 21 players on the bench with only 2 goalies. I was under the impression that the 21st player could be the 3rd goalie but not a D or F. Has the coach always had the option of having an extra D or F and only 2 goalies - if so, hard to believe it was only used this year by MS. Or is this a rule change this year? I can't find any information on-line.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
            Will someone clarify for me.... BVR was an "extra skater" this weekend making 21 players on the bench with only 2 goalies. I was under the impression that the 21st player could be the 3rd goalie but not a D or F. Has the coach always had the option of having an extra D or F and only 2 goalies - if so, hard to believe it was only used this year by MS. Or is this a rule change this year? I can't find any information on-line.
            Thanks.
            Rule 5.2, 90.5 - Players in Uniform

Increased the number of allowable skaters to 19 and up to three goaltenders. The allowable number of skaters in
            warm-ups is also increased to 20.

Rationale: Student-athlete participation opportunities.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20180904.pdf
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Rule 5.2, 90.5 - Players in Uniform

Increased the number of allowable skaters to 19 and up to three goaltenders. The allowable number of skaters in
              warm-ups is also increased to 20.

Rationale: Student-athlete participation opportunities.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20180904.pdf
              Thanks, Darius. I thought it must have been a new rule. Thanks also for the link. John

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

It's almost ludicrous to point to a game in October and say it's a "must win" proposition, but this coming weekend's home opener against UVM may be as close as it ever gets to such an occasion. As pointed out by a few posters in the last 24 hours, your UNH Wildcats have incredibly won a grand total of one (1) game during the 2018 calendar year, and looking at the rest of the pre-break 2018 schedule (UNH does return from the break with one final 2018 game, hosting the high-flying Falcons of Bentley on Dec. 30th), it's hard to find any "cupcakes" waiting to be devoured.

Of course, channeling the conventional wisdom of the last few seasons, you'll all recall the saying that "if you can't spot the cupcakes on your schedule, then YOU'RE the cupcake". So after the Catamounts leave town next weekend, the UNH schedule is dotted with the likes of Providence, BU, BC, and the Amherst Red Army, among other lesser lights. So if the first W does not arrive next weekend … when does it arrive? Dan's alma mater Miami, with two home games on the trot? Providence at home, which may have been the last quality W of the Umile Era around that same time last season? Does it take until Dartmouth?? Or is there an unlikely upset W lurking out there?

Just to put my $$$ where my mouth is, I'll pick the November 3rd game against the Amherst Red Army. But UNH may be an underdog for every game until Miami arrives (or maybe even Dartmouth?).

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but with some winnable games already having been squandered, WIS also sets the over/under for wins before the break at a modest 3.5 - down from the 4.5 set in the preseason line. Again, remember - the Bentley game is after the break, although technically still a 2018 game. So … here's the schedule, take your pick(s), and please take it in stride as a fun exercise during a season where the measuring stick of progress is going to be on other less easily measured things.

Oct. 27 Vermont
                Nov. 9 @ UMass Lowell
                Nov. 18 @ Massachusetts
                Nov. 23 Miami
                Nov. 24 Miami
                Nov. 30 @ (5) Providence
                Dec. 1 (5) Providence
                Dec. 7 @ Dartmouth
                Dec. 8 Dartmouth
                Ok, count me in for our Cats beating the hippie Catamounts at the Whitt this weekend, as I had forgotten that we beat the Wolverines in 2004 (thanks, Greg) and 1999 (thanks, Felger). I will be in Durham on November 10th to watch us trounce BU, and looking forward to collecting my winner's prize pre-game at Libby's.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Oct. 27 Vermont
                  Nov. 9 @ UMass Lowell
                  Nov. 18 @ Massachusetts
                  Nov. 23 Miami
                  Nov. 24 Miami
                  Nov. 30 @ (5) Providence
                  Dec. 1 (5) Providence
                  Dec. 7 @ Dartmouth
                  Dec. 8 Dartmouth

...or maybe when the Terriers come to town. I may have to come up there for that one. Perhaps we should strike up a little wager?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Ok, count me in for our Cats beating the hippie Catamounts at the Whitt this weekend, as I had forgotten that we beat the Wolverines in 2004 (thanks, Greg) and 1999 (thanks, Felger). I will be in Durham on November 10th to watch us trounce BU, and looking forward to collecting my winner's prize pre-game at Libby's.
                    Hey remind me to bring the bobblehead if you are going to be at Libby's the 10th!! Will see you there...
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Oct. 27 Vermont
                      Nov. 9 @ UMass Lowell
                      Nov. 18 @ Massachusetts
                      Nov. 23 Miami
                      Nov. 24 Miami
                      Nov. 30 @ (5) Providence
                      Dec. 1 (5) Providence
                      Dec. 7 @ Dartmouth
                      Dec. 8 Dartmouth
                      I'm down for the long haired, birkenstock wearing, dirty hippies from the left coast of New England!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        Saturday's home opener start time should be changed to 4:00 PM. Go Sox!
                        That’s why I’m staying home. Fourth game of the WS is a heck of a lot more important than UNH-UVM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          That’s why I’m staying home. Fourth game of the WS is a heck of a lot more important than UNH-UVM.
                          Nah! UNH hockey is more important than catching the SOX in the fourth game. I'll be at the Whit!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Hey remind me to bring the bobblehead if you are going to be at Libby's the 10th!! Will see you there...
                            Wonderful; thanks, HR. Now, I will get to collect two prizes at Libby's on November 10th, although sounds like I will need to share Chuck's prize with e.cat.

I will be making my first appearance at Bentley's new arena this Friday and Saturday nights, where the Falcons will try to soften up UML before UNH visits Tsongas on the 9th, which I will attend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Wonderful; thanks, HR. Now, I will get to collect two prizes at Libby's on November 10th, although sounds like I will need to share Chuck's prize with e.cat.

I will be making my first appearance at Bentley's new arena this Friday and Saturday nights, where the Falcons will try to soften up UML before UNH visits Tsongas on the 9th, which I will attend.
                              You betcha

Comment

A quote from Allan Lessels article "Catching Up with the 'Cats: Gordie Clark":

"Mike Souza's a great guy and a great person to have in the job and I plan to come by and see him as often as I can. I think they've got the right person in there." Gordie Clark, Director of Player Personnel, New York Rangers
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 10-23-2018, 09:58 AM.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X