X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Souza is not fooling around here. If you read his quote in the Seacoast online, his remark regarding the ties and "almost winning the game" I thought were telling about how he feels it's going...I believe he's dead serious about creating a team that can compete a full 60 and win games. Whether or not he has the horses to do that right now, I'm not going to be the judge of that, but, he's looking for that effort from them and I think we are seeing that attempt to do so. Here's the quote:

“Other than getting the occasional pat on the back, no one really cares if you’re close,” Souza said. “I certainly don’t.” So much for 'complacency'...

...and Chuck, just a q, who else is he going to give those big minutes to? He doesn't have much of a choice right now...maybe I'm reading you wrong but these are urgent times, even this early in the season.
    I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong approach, HR - but it was probably a different approach than the one Coach Umile would've taken. Devil's advocate time - why not lean a little heavier on McKinnon and/or Verrier, and see what they can handle at this stage of their careers? I seem to recall guys like Cleland and Maller were initiated as frosh fairly early on, and others before them, too. Hickey apparently only played a shift or two in the first period. I'm guessing Sato was the swing guy for times when three of the other four were in need of a little extra recovery time? From reading the various accounts on here, it sounded like either Gildon or Wyse was on the ice at all times, and probably spent some time out there together as well. That adds up to 30-35 minutes apiece, which is a HUGE amount of time at this level, and pretty extraordinary for an early regular season game, even if it was a conference game.

For example - let's say Gildon and Wyse play 27-28 minutes apiece. A little above average (or maybe at Gildon's average), and then look to McKinnon and Verrier for 22-23 minutes apiece (definitely more than usual) with Sato/Hickey up for 10 minutes apiece? Or if you find that Hickey/Sato aren't up for it, you limit them to 5 apiece, and push McKinnon and Verrier a little harder still for 27-28 minutes apiece? See if they can handle it?? Those guys are already regulars as frosh … why not press them to show some upside??

Usually I refrain from quibbling about coaching decisions like this, and if I'm being honest … to me, this is more a comparison between how the mentor and his successor have varied approaches. Which is good. I think the last thing most of us were looking for was for Souza to be "Umile Jr." And whereas Umile never really had to coach with an eye on his short term prospects with the program during the last 25 or so years of his career, he could play the "long game" if he wanted to, and avoid burning out his top pair guys early in the season. Souza has no such assurances about his future, so he may be coaching for short term results instead. Playing your top guys over 30 minutes apiece this early in the season (and what if it went OT again, like Friday?) is definitely more about the latter scenario.

Not huge issues in the current scheme of things, but fascinating (to me) nonetheless to see someone coaching with a degree of urgency that hasn't been seen in these here parts for close to 30 years.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong approach, HR - but it was probably a different approach than the one Coach Umile would've taken. Devil's advocate time - why not lean a little heavier on McKinnon and/or Verrier, and see what they can handle at this stage of their careers? I seem to recall guys like Cleland and Maller were initiated as frosh fairly early on, and others before them, too. Hickey apparently only played a shift or two in the first period. I'm guessing Sato was the swing guy for times when three of the other four were in need of a little extra recovery time? From reading the various accounts on here, it sounded like either Gildon or Wyse was on the ice at all times, and probably spent some time out there together as well. That adds up to 30-35 minutes apiece, which is a HUGE amount of time at this level, and pretty extraordinary for an early regular season game, even if it was a conference game.

For example - let's say Gildon and Wyse play 27-28 minutes apiece. A little above average (or maybe at Gildon's average), and then look to McKinnon and Verrier for 22-23 minutes apiece (definitely more than usual) with Sato/Hickey up for 10 minutes apiece? Or if you find that Hickey/Sato aren't up for it, you limit them to 5 apiece, and push McKinnon and Verrier a little harder still for 27-28 minutes apiece? See if they can handle it?? Those guys are already regulars as frosh … why not press them to show some upside??

Usually I refrain from quibbling about coaching decisions like this, and if I'm being honest … to me, this is more a comparison between how the mentor and his successor have varied approaches. Which is good. I think the last thing most of us were looking for was for Souza to be "Umile Jr." And whereas Umile never really had to coach with an eye on his short term prospects with the program during the last 25 or so years of his career, he could play the "long game" if he wanted to, and avoid burning out his top pair guys early in the season. Souza has no such assurances about his future, so he may be coaching for short term results instead. Playing your top guys over 30 minutes apiece this early in the season (and what if it went OT again, like Friday?) is definitely more about the latter scenario.

Not huge issues in the current scheme of things, but fascinating (to me) nonetheless to see someone coaching with a degree of urgency that hasn't been seen in these here parts for close to 30 years.
      I get you here Chuck! And it's (the urgency) is being seen in the hustle on the ice; just the different feeling the team is bringing which is great to see. I agree the load can be shared with the Frosh; it only gets them more ice time (which they need) and takes the pressure of the top Dpair; all good. Oh, and on the Blind Faith album my two older brothers were always playing that stuff...love it.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        Have to disagree with you Chuck. The schedule was a lot tougher back then than now. Yes indeed, Hockey East had an interlocking schedule with the WCHA and the results weren't pretty. I have bad memories of those years and to confirm them I had to go back to my UNH Hockey media guides that I have stashed away in my home office. In 1985-1986, UNH started 1-17-0, won a total of five games, and not one against a WCHA opponent. And there were no cupcake OOC opponents. That year they had one non-league game, against Yale, and lost 6-3. The next year they started out a bit better but then won one of their last 17 games. They won one game against a WCHA opponent. The third year? Just as bad, although they took two WCHA games. The schedule was not forgiving. There were no Bentleys, Sacred Hearts or AICs on the schedule. Basically you had to be ready to play every night and UNH was nowhere up to the task.
        Never have an issue when you disagree with me, Greg. There's always reasoning, and that's all you can ask. Those years coincided with the first few years we were married, and when we first moved up here from down in your locale. I had a general awareness of UNH Hockey, would catch a few games at Snively when time allowed, and knew the program was going through some tough times. If your point was/is that those teams were better than the ones we've seen here over the last two seasons, that's good enough for me. I know the interlocking schedule with the WCHA was the polar opposite of the less formal interlocking schedule with Atlantic Hockey of the last few seasons (which to Souza's credit, they seem to have moved away from this season).

In retrospect, it's hard to argue now that those games weren't there for the sole purpose of the NRN. Anyway …

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        However, over those three years they actually had three players who had NHL careers - Steve Leach, Jeff Lazaro and Kevin Dean. By the '87-'88 season they had recruited a few guys who were productive players and the year after that they recruited a great freshman class that helped them reach the HE semifinals in Kullen's last season and to the NCAAs when they were seniors. The bottom line is that a rebound can be done. UNH proved it back then and UMass is doing it now. My sense is that you need to recruit kids who are going to stick around for three or four years. Having a bunch of drafted guys who leave after two years does the program little. Sure, great to have them, but give me kids who are invested in the program, stay four years, earn a college degree, and become loyal alums. Using college as a one year whistle stop just doesn't send me.
        Totally agree with you on getting the best kids to stay as long as possible, get degrees, and really give a commitment to the program. Today's realities probably do make it more difficult, but it doesn't mean it can't work again if Souza can find the right balance. Those Kullen years were when we started to see games more regularly, and the only time I've actually had season tickets. Fun years for a younger, newer fan whose familiarity with the program was literally born from using tinfoil on the TV antenna to summons Channel 11 from its usual abysmal reception a mere hour away, and grew when it became the home team on the rise a decade or so later.

I've seen the phoenix rise from the competitive ashes once before, and it was a blast. I hope they've got one more renaissance in 'em so we can all enjoy the good times we eventually took for granted. It won't be easy ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Gotta admit, I was wondering who would pick up on the "Blind Faith" thing. You guys are on your games, kudos!
          R.I.P. Ric Grech.

But, back to the UNH blue line on Saturday night, apparently there are not box scores available online that track minutes? I agree that Gildon and Wyse must have played well over 30 minutes each, as they played separately on their regular shifts with Verrier and MacKinnon, and then took turns double shifting with Sato, and perhaps three very short shifts with the other freshman. The only time that I recall seeing Gildon and Wyse on the ice together was during the last few minutes of the game, which I interpreted to be Souza going for broke to get back a go-ahead goal. I thought this approach was a big mistake as soon as I saw it, stated as such to my cousins seated behind me, and then bingo, just like that, they cough up the winning goal. Cannot be caught in a line change with the puck still being contested in the neutral zone. But, I think that if Sato or one of the freshmen had been out there paired with either Gildon or Wyse, as they had been the entire game, perhaps any one of them could have reeled in the breakaway go-ahead goal scorer. Two ties against a ranked team on the weekend would have been much sweeter than one.
          Last edited by Snively65; 12-03-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

As we speak, an intrepid WIS reporter (clearly with nothing better to do) has spotted a production crew from MA filming future commercials for the VT Lottery … in the direct locale of the Effingwoods Country Store here in beautiful New Hampshire.

I don't think this disclosure would make Bernie, Ben and/or Jerry very happy campers today …

Comment

In other news...the UNH Women's hockey team is killing it with 4 wins in a row!!!

Comment

Team USA hasn't been announced (as of right now but prob will be shortly if it hasn't already) but former UNH asst. coach Dave Lassond will be one of the coaches:

Mike Hastings (Crookston, Minn./Minnesota State) is the head coach of Team USA and joined by assistant coaches David Lassonde (Durham, N.H./Dartmouth College), Steve Miller (Columbus, Ohio/Ohio State University), Scott Sandelin (Hibbing, Minn./University of Minnesota Duluth) and Jerry Keefe (Saugus, Mass./Northeastern University).

EDIT: Here's the scoop on the announcement:

The announcement will be during 3 to 5 p.m. Central time on NHL Network’s “NHL Now.” John Vanbiesbrouck, Team USA’s general manager for the World Juniors, will be a guest on the show.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-05-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

TyK highlights...love the German "Tyler Kelleher". GREAT stuff. Thanks C-H-C for putting these together...awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paG0gI5jaQ

Comment

• Chris Peters who is plugged into USAHockey - and especially adept with the WJC Tournament lists his best guess at a USA Roster here...

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1070366365301776384?s=21

No Max Gildon. You can easily see on his confidence scale how much deeper Team USA is on the left-side versus the right side. Although taking Matt Anderson or Matthias Samuelsson over Gildon would be ridiculous in my opinion - and I've seen both play this year. Even Mikey Anderson has not had a great year, but he is a retunree and will certainly make the camp at least...

The right side is much weaker and USA would be better served taking Gildon - who has played RD for the last two seasons ahead of most of the group, but specifically Kemp, Emberson and St Ivany.

He doesn't even list Gildon as in the hunt, listing Mireagas and Callahan from PC, Rathbone from Harvard and the youngster Bode Wilde. The two PC defenseman are fine, but Gildon has outplayed them all year including head to head last weekend. Rathbone is Gildon lite. Wilde has bundles of potential, but has he put it together...

If this holds true it's clear what is costing Gildon...

1. USA probably feels they get what they want from Gildon from Hughes and Walsh. They OFTEN make the mistake in this tournament to eschew more skill for role playing. As if skill players are unable to play other roles ( despite often doing so for their own teams). Especially at forward, but it's a real choice they'll face on D this year - more so with Gildon than anyone else.

2. The overflow of left-shot defenseman and the pervasive idea in hockey that it's impossible to play ones 'off-side'...

3. The desire to take younger players and simultaneously build for next year's tournament.

4. Total production. If Gildon played on a team like Harvard or Penn State he'd have an easy 1.5 PPG. I can't speak to the ability of the OHL players on the list - but that's a much easier league to be a standout in (age/depth of legit talent, etc) and Gildon would easily be a 1.5+ PPG guy there too. Those numbers probably make him much harder to ignore than a near PPG guy at UNH despite the impact it takes to get to that number...

---

This would be as disappointing a camp roster as USA could do with all the D talent they have - which makes it seem all the more likely. Matt Anderson Emberson and St Ivany are total stretches to get an invite ahead of Gildon, Wilde, Callahan, Mireageas and Del Gaizo...

But let's hope it works out otherwise for Max's sake...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

It is interesting in the thought process that goes into building this team. Personally I think they should go with older players than to build for future teams. Its a win now tournament. Giving young players some experience is fine but I rather have the best team on paper for that given two weeks. I am sure USA Hockey is drooling at the future with the U18 USNTDP coming up soon. I thought Gildon would be in serious consideration based on the same comments you mentioned. I want role players and not skill guys - ala 1980 Olympic team . The emphasis on offensive defenseman is huge trend so it doesnt surprise me that Gildon wont make the roster. Seems like teams almost have 4 forwards on the ice and one defensive player at this point.

Comment

Does anybody know the latest on the injured players in regard to this weekends games vs. Dartmouth?

In regard to the USA team for the WJC I believe it will be similar to last year. An over-representation of players with connections to the state of Minnesota.

Comment

I actually think it's the opposite for Gildon. I think they see him as an offensive guy and figure they're set at that role with Hughes, Walsh, Miller and potentially this OHL guy Keane. The rest of the D they seem likely to bring in appear to be guys to balance out that first four - guys like Anderson and Samburg who are steady first and foremost. Kemp and the other Anderson even sniffing this team indicates that more than anything - the thought process is those guys are safe and stay back...

I agree completely about taking the age appropriate guys - we see younger guys struggle every year. I suppose the thought process is they gain experience for the next tournament, but I'm not sure that has nearly the impact as just getting a year older...

I think Ray makes a good point too - there are always natural bias at play. Three UMD defenseman made the team last year in large part because the coach was a conference rival who coached against them and had tried to recruit them. I bet Gildon's chances are MUCH higher with David Quinn coaching this team. But he went to the Rangers and now there's another Western coach...

Finally, I always hate these last minute/season CHL candidates (like Keane or Regula). They pop up every year and I'm not sure when one has ever made a real impact. If you can produce at a high level as an 18-19 in college against 22-24 year olds than chances you can play in this tournament are pretty good. Production in the CHL against other kids your age and wide talent disparities is often far more hit or miss.

Case and point, Paul Cotter - a forward Peters has making the camp. He couldn't cut it at Western Michigan (0-1-1 in 8 GMS), so he bailed and is immediately a PPGguy in the OHL and likely to get an invite...

---

Gildon was 4-2--6 at the U18s in his last (of age) chance to make an International Tournament. He was an All-Tournament defenseman and the leading D goal scorer. It would seems so foolish to not even invite him to camp, at least giving him a chance to capture that. But seems like that's the decision they're making - l hope I'm wrong and that's not the case...
                          Last edited by Dan; 12-05-2018, 01:50 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                            Does anybody know the latest on the injured players in regard to this weekends games vs. Dartmouth?

In regard to the USA team for the WJC I believe it will be similar to last year. An over-representation of players with connections to the state of Minnesota.
                            In today’s presser Coach Souza said possibly Boyd would be back but the others after Christmas....

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Also, I just arrived after a most enjoyable 45 minutes with FS23, his father, and brother at Libby's.
                              Thank you again for the beers. It was a lot of fun. We just got back to Colorado, but I thought I would post my thoughts here about our visit to UNH for the game on Saturday:

1) Arena: While I am a bit more accustomed to the larger arenas out west, I thought the Whit was very nicely done. We sat next to the band (see more below), and our view of the game was good. We also walked around the concourse, and there were several spots where I could envision really enjoying a good view of the action, including standing behind certain sections. The concessions were fairly vanilla, but sufficient. I also enjoyed the murals, which I thought did a good job of showcasing New Hampshire's history in the sport. I can't say I care for hanging banners for NCAA Tournament participation, but I suppose having one banner with all the years is a step up. I did like the Frozen Four banner, and would be perfectly okay with North Dakota adding something like that at the Ralph. Overall, I definitely preferred it to some of the cookie-cutter arenas out here (see DU/CC). Also, your parking situation was ideal.

2) Atmosphere: Obviously, the arena was not packed, but not a terrible showing. That being said, those who were there did well to make up for those who were not. The student section seemed to have a good time, and got some decent chants going (it helps when the opposing goalie's name is Hawkey). They really picked it up in the third. My brother-in-law really got a kick out of them. The in-game announcer guy was also enthusiastic. We had a lot of fun.

3) Band: I was very impressed with your band. Your band director really hustled to keep things going and put together a nice mix for the fans. The band itself had a lot of energy and volume. They also picked it up in the third. It was certainly one of the better college hockey bands that I have seen.

4) Team: I don't think it's really fair to judge your team based on one game, but they certainly struggled to possess the puck and generate offense. Based on what I have read, that is certainly not news to those posting in here. On a positive note, the blue line played spirited, and your goalie played very well. If you guys can figure out ways to generate more offense, and obviously put more pucks in the net, it would not be surprising to see you guys go on a nice little run. As for the game, I thought the first period was pretty even. UNH's blue line really limited PC's quality chances in the first twenty. The second period, PC definitely picked it up, but your goalie was more than up to the task. The UNH goal was a snipe, and it was 1-0 through two periods. The 5x3 kill was very impressive, and I actually thought the blue liners were the stars of the pk throughout the game. That gave the crowd and the team a nice burst, but unfortunately, PC kept pressing against an obviously exhausted Wildcat squad, got the equalizer then the game-winner. I thought PC was the better team, but that was a game that UNH could have easily won.

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                              And very cool that you hung out with FS23... an all-time Forum all-star
                              Thank you for the kind words.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Roster is out and no Max Gildon...

Comment

Working...
                                X