This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Gildon with a big 3 point night, Robinson with 34 saves, we actually won faceoffs tonight and out shot CC. Looking to find the playmakers but we had better zone time than the first couple of games. Coming along/work in progress but saw some good stuff there. Who gets the net tomorrow night? Think Taylor will? Was good to see Naz in the lineup. 'Nite folks; between this and the Sox, I've had it! Thanks Dan for the updates...
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Atta boy Angus first NCAA goallllll!!!!!
      https://youtu.be/dMGDp-CXNRE
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Souzacats scored three goals, earned their first point of season, and shed the horrible SMT stigma by taking eight penalties, including two abusing the goaltender, and an almost full two minutes of 5-3 PK. What is not to like? :-)

Comment

Highlights' Video for Last Night's Game:
          https://www.nchc.tv/nchc/video/nchc-...hts---10-19-18

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            CC nearly scores 3-on-1 as time expires - but Wyse knocks down the pass dropping to his belly. Reminiscent of when Kapstead did the same except the puck went in for BU in the regional final in Manchester, years ago... OT
            Wasn't that Pollastrone, not Kapstead? It was right in front of where I was sitting, Wilson to the left of the goalie, pass made, Pollastrone belly flops to break it up and slides the puck into the goal. Almost positive of that.

Anyway, thanks for the updates. I was too busy watching the ball game to concentrate on UNH last night. Will be the same tonight, so keep the updates coming. Dan, your observation that UNH offensively prefers to keep the puck to the outside is the exact same thing I saw when I watched them vs. Colgate last week. Hard to score from the outside. Got to get bodies in front of the net. Also noticed that they were 0-3 on the PP. Any good chances or were they content to pass the puck around the perimeter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Wasn't that Pollastrone, not Kapstead? It was right in front of where I was sitting, Wilson to the left of the goalie, pass made, Pollastrone belly flops to break it up and slides the puck into the goal. Almost positive of that.

Anyway, thanks for the updates. I was too busy watching the ball game to concentrate on UNH last night. Will be the same tonight, so keep the updates coming. Dan, your observation that UNH offensively prefers to keep the puck to the outside is the exact same thing I saw when I watched them vs. Colgate last week. Hard to score from the outside. Got to get bodies in front of the net. Also noticed that they were 0-3 on the PP. Any good chances or were they content to pass the puck around the perimeter?
              You are correct, it was Pollostrone - and they plays aren't all that similar except for the belly flop, but that's what popped to mind immediately. It was a great play by Wyse to keep the puck out and an unfortunate play for Jerry when it went in...

---

The PP was disappointing last night - where as I thought they created a handful of great chances at Colgate they did little last night.

They possessed the puck on the first advantage, but didn't get an official shot on goal - relying heavily on playing at the perimeter. I commented on the second PP last night. I don't understand stacking your first PP unit and then not sending them onto the ice until 1:42 has elapsed. Mind-boggling. CC outplayed UNH on that PP and the Wildcats failed to register a SOG again. I am blanking on the third PP - which can't be a good sign. Maybe KrogPond remembers better?

UNH was really passive the first 35 minutes. They also seemed to often be on different pages. They'd collect the puck in transition and turn and look where they wanted to go. Theyd pass to empty spaces or behind teammates. They'd skate through the neutral zone and then glide across the blue line, failing to attack the net or create passing lanes - thus they'd end up with a shot from outside leading to CC transitions the other way. They weren't dangerous at all.

When Gildon scored things changed and they started attacking the zone, slot and net with speed. They looked like a completely different team the last 25 minutes and into OT. They looked like the team they said they wanted to be. It helps that they we're playing a CC team that wants to play the same type of game - by if UNH can bottle up that type of game they should at worst chase a playoff spot and be a fun team to watch. If they play passive hockey it will be a tough year...

Offensively, the two touted FR and Nazarian looked real good. Vela and Esposito were tough and physical - MacAdams should be their third wheel. They need real impact from the three juniors and Kelleher if they want to have a good season. Those four need to be better tonight. I have never been a big Miller fan - and he didn't play a lot - but that is one guy who's feet never stop moving. They all need to follow his lead a bit more...

Defensively they moved pucks Ok last night - a lot of break out passes were fumbled for one reason or another. And thy can be better on the walls in their own end - but they played hard and got in shooting lanes. Gildon was amazing - he's a pro sooner rather than later...

Robison played very well and I can see why the NHL likes him. He's big and he plays bigger - but he moves well and made at least a few bang bang stops. He takes away the bottom half and is good up top with his shoulders and his glove. Two of the goals he had no chance - the first one he should have stopped - but he made up for it by stealing a few. Big goalies take longer to develop so hopefully he's hitting his stride...

UNH is in a much better place in the crease with just him alone, but I'd imagine they'll stick with their rotation and I'm excited to see Taylor tonight - and I expect him to look similarly strong...

Snively - unfortunately, the UNH penalties were not shed the SMT label good physical penalties - many were the type of penalties a SMT would take when being careless. Esposito and Crookshank failed to look where they we're going and took out LeClerc by mistake. Gildon's first was a bad retaliation. Vela's was a lazy stick infraction in the neutral zone. They have to clean up the penalties to win tonight.

Gildon's second and Boyd's prevented CC scoring chances, so no problem there. MacKinnon's I think was a really bad call...
              Last edited by Dan; 10-20-2018, 01:42 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                You are correct, it was Pollostrone - and they plays aren't all that similar except for the belly flop, but that's what popped to mind immediately. It was a great play by Wyse to keep the puck out and an unfortunate play for Jerry when it went in...

---

The PP was disappointing last night - where as I thought they created a handful of great chances at Colgate they did little last night.

They possessed the puck on the first advantage, but didn't get an official shot on goal - relying heavily on playing at the perimeter. I commented on the second PP last night. I don't understand stacking your first PP unit and then not sending them onto the ice until 1:42 has elapsed. Mind-boggling. CC outplayed UNH on that PP and the Wildcats failed to register a SOG again. I am blanking on the third PP - which can't be a good sign. Maybe KrogPond remembers better?

UNH was really passive the first 35 minutes. They also seemed to often be on different pages. They'd collect the puck in transition and turn and look where they wanted to go. Theyd pass to empty spaces or behind teammates. They'd skate through the neutral zone and then glide across the blue line, failing to attack the net or create passing lanes - thus they'd end up with a shot from outside leading to CC transitions the other way. They weren't dangerous at all.

When Gildon scored things changed and they started attacking the zone, slot and net with speed. They looked like a completely different team the last 25 minutes and into OT. They looked like the team they said they wanted to be. It helps that they we're playing a CC team that wants to play the same type of game - by if UNH can bottle up that type of game they should at worst chase a playoff spot and be a fun team to watch. If they play passive hockey it will be a tough year...

Offensively, the two touted FR and Nazarian looked real good. Vela and Esposito were tough and physical - MacAdams should be their third wheel. They need real impact from the three juniors and Kelleher if they want to have a good season. Those four need to be better tonight. I have never been a big Miller fan - and he didn't play a lot - but that is one guy who's feet never stop moving. They all need to follow his lead a bit more...

Defensively they moved pucks Ok last night - a lot of break out passes were fumbled for one reason or another. And thy can be better on the walls in their own end - but they played hard and got in shooting lanes. Gildon was amazing - he's a pro sooner rather than later...

Robison played very well and I can see why the NHL likes him. He's big and he plays bigger - but he moves well and made at least a few bang bang stops. He takes away the bottom half and is good up top with his shoulders and his glove. Two of the goals he had no chance - the first one he should have stopped - but he made up for it by stealing a few. Big goalies take longer to develop so hopefully he's hitting his stride...

UNH is in a much better place in the crease with just him alone, but I'd imagine they'll stick with their rotation and I'm excited to see Taylor tonight - and I expect him to look similarly strong...

Snively - unfortunately, the UNH penalties were not shed the SMT label good physical penalties - many were the type of penalties a SMT would take when being careless. Esposito and Crookshank failed to look where they we're going and took out LeClerc by mistake. Gildon's first was a bad retaliation. Vela's was a lazy stick infraction in the neutral zone. They have to clean up the penalties to win tonight.

Gildon's second and Boyd's prevented CC scoring chances, so no problem there. MacKinnon's I think was a really bad call...
                Thanks for the analysis. Really disheartening to hear how passive the PP is. At the least you have to set up a one timer down low the way the UNH PP was for years, setting up for a shot from the left face off dot. Settling for a blue line wrist shot through traffic in the high slot hardly ever works. Cycle down low, passes to the weak side, get the goalie to move side to side, that’s how you score. I’ve said for years that 90% of all goals occur on rebounds, tips, and deflections. If you don’t get bodies in front it’s tough to score.

Comment

3rd poweplay must have been that good that I don’t remember. All I do remember is Gildon took it from the offensive blue line around the zone until he was back where he started from without a pass or sho. One of UNHs powerplays the puck was in the CC players hands more than UNH. Penalties that were called were pretty embarrassing. MacKinnon hold was pretty lame. Gildons hook was pretty lame. I feel Vela’s call was a shut up call from the ref to Vela because the penalty was a stick on stick trying to clear the zone not a karate chop. Vela had been barking up the officials tree from the moment Gildon sat down until the puck was dropped deep in the defensive zone.

UNH had a couple good cycles behind the CC net however couldn’t make anything happen. Looking forward to seeing how UNH comes out tonight. Hopefully their conditioning was better than the football teams second half conditioning when they played CU in Boulder a month or so back. Playing at over 6300 feet is draining. If UNH stays out of box and gets shots through they should have a good opportunity for Sousa’s first W.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    I don't know, either. My point about UNH isn't about a single-season turnaround, it's that when a team/program has been in the dumps for an extended period of time, and no one in the program knows any better, it's hard to turn the mentality of that group around overnight. Maybe your HS football team was wracked with injuries the previous season, or benefited from a big group of talented underclassmen coming of age that year. Or maybe there was a coaching change?

I'm pretty sure exactly no one out there is saying that UNH's "groceries" this season are anything beyond standard grade, if that. Add a good chunk of the same coaching staff (sans Umile/plus Guiliano), and a player who lit it up as a frosh who missed most of last year (Grasso), and arguably benefited from playing on the PP with a top notch player who's no longer here … yeah, anything can happen, but the new "chef" is going to have to work largely with the same ingredients that landed the team in the cellar last season, and couldn't win a paltry 40 games over the last 3 seasons combined, with a dash of average "groceries" at best. And it's going to be tough for the new chef to upgrade the quality of his groceries until he can prove himself to be a top-notch chef by conjuring up something pretty special with standard grade groceries. That's why this year is all about Souza.

Just extending the Law of Suckiness (!) further … the UNH ticket office/marketing department has by all accounts on here been underperforming at their jobs for close to 50 years now (right, Greg?). Crappy service and a bad attitude to their customers is just part of the DNA over there. It's been passed down for decades, and what is tolerated from their employees trickles down from the upper reaches of the department. The phrase "We've got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" seems to fit here. And does it really come as a surprise that the second someone over there reaches the level of competence … they're off to another job with another program that pays them better? Between a rotating door for the top folks, and probably a lot of entrenched and under-motivated long-timers CandyCrushing their days away until retirement, that situation also seems long-term doomed.

But lucky us, we have a guy with over 40 big ones under his belt to fix this up in a jiffy …
                    One game at a time Chuck. Take a deep breath
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Sato and Dawson are dressed for warm-ups. Fregona and Verrier are out. Nazarian is wearing an A...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Krog Pond View Post
                        3rd poweplay must have been that good that I don’t remember. All I do remember is Gildon took it from the offensive blue line around the zone until he was back where he started from without a pass or sho. One of UNHs powerplays the puck was in the CC players hands more than UNH. Penalties that were called were pretty embarrassing. MacKinnon hold was pretty lame. Gildons hook was pretty lame. I feel Vela’s call was a shut up call from the ref to Vela because the penalty was a stick on stick trying to clear the zone not a karate chop. Vela had been barking up the officials tree from the moment Gildon sat down until the puck was dropped deep in the defensive zone.

UNH had a couple good cycles behind the CC net however couldn’t make anything happen. Looking forward to seeing how UNH comes out tonight. Hopefully their conditioning was better than the football teams second half conditioning when they played CU in Boulder a month or so back. Playing at over 6300 feet is draining. If UNH stays out of box and gets shots through they should have a good opportunity for Sousa’s first W.
                        If I've noticed one thing watching college hockey out here - its they call a lot of penalties in the NCHC. So will be something to keep an eye on tonight.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Sato and Dawson are dressed for warm-ups. Fregona and Verrier are out. Nazarian is wearing an A...
                          That's cool...go 'Cats!!!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            One game at a time Chuck. Take a deep breath
                            So I guess you're not going to elaborate on that HS football title you won back in your youth, eh?
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Taylor starts in goal. Defensive pairs are the same, swap Dawson for Verrier. Lines are jumbled...

Wyse - Maass
                              Gildon - MacKinnon
                              Boyd - Dawson

Nazarian - Vela - Grasso
                              Crookshank - Pierson - Kelleher
                              Sato - Blackburn - MacAdams
                              BVR - Miller - Esposito
                              Sacco
                              Last edited by Dan; 10-20-2018, 07:13 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• 1-0 CC early. Nick Halloran carries below the goal line and feeds it back to a wide open Trey Bradley for a roof job...

UNH with two quick PPs - not much doing on the first. Nazarian attacks the back door and finishes a Pierson pass on the second to tie the game at 1-1. Kelleher also assists.

But CC gets one minute later on a wrist shot that sneaks thru Taylor. Tough one.

And again as two UNH defenders fight over a puck that ends up on Nick Hallorans stick for an easy dunk. Taylor is out and Robinson is in - but only the second was really his fault. UNH needs to figure it out in the D zone, sloppy puck handling and failing to take any space away from CC forwards...
                                Last edited by Dan; 10-20-2018, 07:27 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X