Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All three UNH goals now - assuming +/- taken correctly - have been scored with one true defenseman on the ice. They certainly seem to be making a conscious effort to rotate F's (specifically 18 & 7) in on the blueline...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

PK does it again! Go get 'em tomorrow!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Picked it up in the third beautiful goal by Cipollone! Cats winnnnn!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Dead lucky, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Dead lucky, eh?
            We’ll take it anyway we can get it Taylor had some great saves! Hitting Molly’s for some post game victory Margs 😉
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-07-2018, 08:32 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              And Dan, you should never use the implied perjorative “of all people” when describing Mike Eruzione. During his time at BU, UNH had many epic battles against the Terriers. He clearly was not the prototypical stud on his BU teams (that would have been Ricky Meagher) but when it came to making the big play, getting the killer goal against us, it always seemed to Eruzione. Trust me, when he got the game winner against the Russians, I was not surprised that of all the great players on that team that it was he who got the goal.
              Agreed, Eruzione was not only nails, but totally clutch in his time at BU, well before the '80 Olympics. He wasn't chosen as captain of a largely Western team by accident. Not a flashy guy by any means, but an absolute stone-cold winner. Even his decision to virtually end his career at the pinnacle was the right call. Precisely the kind of player the best UNH teams of all time lacked, who could have made the difference by his sheer force of will. Which I mention because originally, guess where Eruzione was planning to play?

http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_2...acle-ice-story

The mind boggles at the thought of what Eruzione, Langway, Bobby Miller and two-thirds of the C-H-C connection could have gotten done at Durham together. Barry Edgar turned out to be a very good D-1 player, but one has to wonder what Charlie Holt thought in the aftermath of what Eruzione accomplished at BU and for the USA. And equally fascinating how Coach Parker sized the kid up on the spot while reffing a summer league game, with Eruzione at the time headed for (then D-2) Merrimack. In the end, another tantalizing near-miss, but a testament to one kid's never-say-die attitude, and his college coach's tireless dedication to his recruiting efforts.

Back to the present. UNH to complete the sweep tomorrow night, with Robinson posting the shutout.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I thought that I was paying pretty close attention at the game tonight, and I do not recall BvR taking any shifts on the blue line, although I did see him go back a few times to cover for a blue liner who got caught up ice. Like the PC game on Saturday night, Gildon and Wyse logged the most minutes, with Verrier, Mackinnon, and Sato rotating as the second blue liner, other than a couple shifts for Boyd in the first and maybe one in the third? I thought that Sato played well in both games, and apparently Souza did, too, with Hickey and Boyd hardly seeing any ice time tonight.

My sense is that none of the forward lines have any chemistry right now, but I sure would like to see Blackburn, Grasso, and BvR together again, which is what I told the vR parents between the first and second; really fun talking to them about lodging with friends at Wallis Sands, where lots of my UNH classmates lived during the school year. :-)

Hey, Chuck, maybe UMass-Flagship has been finally exposed for the charlatans that they are?
                Last edited by Snively65; 12-07-2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Hey, Chuck, maybe UMass-Flagship has been finally exposed for the charlatans that they are?
                  It's the #1 jinx. Often when a team gets voted #1 it goes to their heads. They have a letdown. Remember, they're college kids. It happens a lot. If this turns into a slide, then that's a different story. Only time will tell...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    It's the #1 jinx. Often when a team gets voted #1 it goes to their heads. They have a letdown. Remember, they're college kids. It happens a lot. If this turns into a slide, then that's a different story. Only time will tell...
                    Lots of truth to this. Honestly, you don't get to where UMass is now without having a boatload of talent, and it would be ridiculous for me to deny that. But it's a huge jump from long-term D-1 irrelevance to the top of the hill in early April. And UNH fans are better positioned than most to understand D-1 titles aren't won in November or December. I'm sure my *beloved* "Red Army" will make the D-1 tourney, but I'm not sold on them winning any hardware along the way. At least not this season. If this turns out to be more than a recruiting bubble in Amherst, then I'll be happy to give kudos to Coach Carvel, just as I was with Coach Bazin in Lowell.

There's nothing harder in coaching than building something where nothing has been for a long. long time. The guy up in Orono was the last to pull that off in the East for more than a small handful of seasons. And we all know that he had to go (ahem) "above and beyond" to make that happen. As good as Bazin has been in Lowell, the rise of his program looks like a poor man's version of what Coach Umile accomplished 15-20 years ago at UNH. Coach Leaman at PC did bag the big trophy, but his success hasn't reached the levels of Walshy (his mentor), or Coaches Parker and York at the long-established elite programs in Boston. Carvel isn't even at Madigan level. Yet. But he's already made a bigger push with his previously-nowhere program than the guy in Storrs has with his still-nowhere program, despite Luce having had a significant (several years now) head start on him. JMHO.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

ICYMI: Joe Cipollone's first collegiate goal. Way to be in the right place at the right time...after a not so hot 2nd period...much needed! Happy the 'Cats held them off with the extra skater; not sure I could stand another OT Go for the sweep tonight 'Cats!!! (thanks C-H-C for the vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbX0OzQwXTk
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Lots of truth to this. Honestly, you don't get to where UMass is now without having a boatload of talent, and it would be ridiculous for me to deny that. But it's a huge jump from long-term D-1 irrelevance to the top of the hill in early April. And UNH fans are better positioned than most to understand D-1 titles aren't won in November or December. I'm sure my *beloved* "Red Army" will make the D-1 tourney, but I'm not sold on them winning any hardware along the way. At least not this season. If this turns out to be more than a recruiting bubble in Amherst, then I'll be happy to give kudos to Coach Carvel, just as I was with Coach Bazin in Lowell.

There's nothing harder in coaching than building something where nothing has been for a long. long time. The guy up in Orono was the last to pull that off in the East for more than a small handful of seasons. And we all know that he had to go (ahem) "above and beyond" to make that happen. As good as Bazin has been in Lowell, the rise of his program looks like a poor man's version of what Coach Umile accomplished 15-20 years ago at UNH. Coach Leaman at PC did bag the big trophy, but his success hasn't reached the levels of Walshy (his mentor), or Coaches Parker and York at the long-established elite programs in Boston. Carvel isn't even at Madigan level. Yet. But he's already made a bigger push with his previously-nowhere program than the guy in Storrs has with his still-nowhere program, despite Luce having had a significant (several years now) head start on him. JMHO.
                        Well who knows what can happen for UMass...has to be a heady ride they're on right now; kind of like the 2012-2013 season when UNH was #1 and ended up I believe 10th by the time the NCAA tourney rolled around. Anything can happen in a hockey season; it's far from over. QU is an excellent team and what happens tonight I think will be huge for both teams. And Chuck? When (if) we defeat UConn for a change this season (which would be really nice...) I'll will feel like we have arrived
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Getting back to last night's game. I thought the coaches managed the game well. They utilized players in a way to barely win the game last night and putting the team in a good position to compete and win tonight.

The coaches need to work on and fix the defensive zone coverage in the low slot area. Both goals scored against us were by players in this area in front of the goal. The first goal against was by a Dartmouth player left totally alone and had plenty of time getting a good shot off. The second goal against was a deflection by a Dartmouth player with a shot coming from the point. The defenseman had good body positioning, but did not control the Dartmouth player's stick. Last night it was defensemen that did not provide good coverage, but earlier in the season the team has given up goals when the center and wingers did not do a good job of locating and defending against opposing players. Improving the defensive zone coverage, especially around the low slot area, will go along ways to winning hockey games in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                            Getting back to last night's game. I thought the coaches managed the game well. They utilized players in a way to barely win the game last night and putting the team in a good position to compete and win tonight.

The coaches need to work on and fix the defensive zone coverage in the low slot area. Both goals scored against us were by players in this area in front of the goal. The first goal against was by a Dartmouth player left totally alone and had plenty of time getting a good shot off. The second goal against was a deflection by a Dartmouth player with a shot coming from the point. The defenseman had good body positioning, but did not control the Dartmouth player's stick. Last night it was defensemen that did not provide good coverage, but earlier in the season the team has given up goals when the center and wingers did not do a good job of locating and defending against opposing players. Improving the defensive zone coverage, especially around the low slot area, will go along ways to winning hockey games in the future.
                            Agree here Ray...but we still have to mount consistent, offensive pressure. Taylor doesn't make some of those saves esp in the 2nd and we are looking to scrape together something tonight. But I think we are hanging in there figuring out who goes where and contributions can come from almost anyone as we saw last night! Hopefully the coaches see those errors you point out and tonight they work on more offense, less defense!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Agree here Ray...but we still have to mount consistent, offensive pressure. Taylor doesn't make some of those saves esp in the 2nd and we are looking to scrape together something tonight. But I think we are hanging in there figuring out who goes where and contributions can come from almost anyone as we saw last night! Hopefully the coaches see those errors you point out and tonight they work on more offense, less defense!
                              Congrats on a well-earned W on your end and badly-played game on the BG end! It seemed to me that your guys "wanted" more as far as winning puck/board battles sprinkled in with timely saves and opportunistic goals. Of course, your PK pitched a shut out with BG barely resembling any thing of danger. Tip of the hockey helmet to your goalie....he was the best player on the ice last night!!!

See you guys tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                                Tip of the hockey helmet to your goalie....he was the best player on the ice last night!!!
                                Goaltending has been a bright spot. Both netmimders have been pretty solid so far this year. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen any real goaltending rotation, Umile never really seemed a fan. Glad Souza has been using both guys as I think it will be a benefit as the season wears on.
                                GO BLUE!

Comment

Working...
                                X