X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
    Goaltending has been a bright spot. Both netmimders have been pretty solid so far this year. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen any real goaltending rotation, Umile never really seemed a fan. Glad Souza has been using both guys as I think it will be a benefit as the season wears on.
    Personally I think the goal tending has been the main reason we've hung in there in games. Not to be negative about the rest of the team as it's a team effort. Curious to see who starts tonight imagine it will be Robinson. They are both deserving and it's a good thing to have a healthy competition between them....Key for tonight, stay out of the box 'Cats and play a full 60!!
    '
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
      Getting back to last night's game. I thought the coaches managed the game well. They utilized players in a way to barely win the game last night and putting the team in a good position to compete and win tonight.

The coaches need to work on and fix the defensive zone coverage in the low slot area. Both goals scored against us were by players in this area in front of the goal. The first goal against was by a Dartmouth player left totally alone and had plenty of time getting a good shot off. The second goal against was a deflection by a Dartmouth player with a shot coming from the point. The defenseman had good body positioning, but did not control the Dartmouth player's stick. Last night it was defensemen that did not provide good coverage, but earlier in the season the team has given up goals when the center and wingers did not do a good job of locating and defending against opposing players. Improving the defensive zone coverage, especially around the low slot area, will go along ways to winning hockey games in the future.
      Just watched the highlights and boy, are you right about that! Let me know how it goes tonight in that situation....needs to be addressed for sure~ Go 'Cats! I do want to give credit to the guys they do bring it each night. Watching the re-run Sato does some good stuff out there; he's been a pleasant surprise on D and man can the kid skate!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
        Congrats on a well-earned W on your end and badly-played game on the BG end! It seemed to me that your guys "wanted" more as far as winning puck/board battles sprinkled in with timely saves and opportunistic goals. Of course, your PK pitched a shut out with BG barely resembling any thing of danger. Tip of the hockey helmet to your goalie....he was the best player on the ice last night!!!

See you guys tonight!
        Enjoy your 'Whitt experience and here's to a great game...it's awesome 2 NH teams can play together I like this home and home thing...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Wyse not in the line up Robinson with the start...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• No MacAdams all weekend either. TWO early Crookshank goals have the Wildcats up 2-0 in the first. Blackburn with a pit of assists...

As one might have wondered based on Ferguson's first DI start, it appears the Wildcats may be able to take advantage of this goalie if they can sustain pressure...
            Last edited by Dan; 12-08-2018, 07:43 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

A third goal on five shots gets Ferguson yanked - and also sees a shaken up Gildon (the goal scorer) getting treatment on the UNH bench. Not what the UNH D needs right now that is for sure...
              Last edited by Dan; 12-08-2018, 06:20 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                A third goal on five shots gets Ferguson yanked - which also sees a shaken up Gildon (the goal scorer) getting treatment on the UNH bench. Not what the UNH D needs right now that is for sure...
                Gildon reported to have been favoring his shoulder is back on the ice...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

I suppose you want to get your FR goalie some ice time, especially when he comes in with some fan fare - but after not playing Ferguson since the second game of the season (a 7-1 loss vs Princeton) it was a curious decision to start him tonight. Great job by UNH making him pay early and not letting him settle his nerves and get into the game. That second goal was just terrible - and well he was still likely thinking of that one UNH gets another right away...

On the other end, Robinson with two robberies and 12 total saves - to keep Dartmouth from getting back into the game. I am all for a continue rotation, but Robinson has just been a stud this year. He could be a 1 anywhere in the country with the way he is playing right now and if UNH was in a position to make a real run and wanted to ride one guy he's shown that sort of ability...

I wonder if Sato is playing his way into being a full-time defenseman - or at least their extra man who can play both roles throughout the game. He is offfensively limited, but as we're all aware - one thing he can do is jump on loose pucks and skate them a long way very quickly. It's unorthodox, but getting pucks from one end of the ice is valuable no matter how you do it...
                  Last edited by Dan; 12-08-2018, 06:56 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Four goals wins games - put this one in the bag. Blackburn 1-3--4 already, amazing what happens when your best scorers play together in scoring roles...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I wonder if Sato is playing his way into being a full-time defenseman - or at least their extra man who can play both roles throughout the game. He is offfensively limited, but as we're all aware - one thing he can do is jump on loose pucks and skate them a long way very quickly. It's unorthodox, but getting pucks from one end of the ice is valuable no matter how you do it...
                      I was thinking this after last night's game. Also, hard to ignore the contributions from Fregona this weekend.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Wow killing it ‘Cats and I’m not there....woooooo! Looks like an unreal night for Blackburn and Crookshank! Go ‘Cats!!!!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-08-2018, 07:43 PM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          I was thinking this after last night's game. Also, hard to ignore the contributions from Fregona this weekend.
                          Agreed. I think injuries, while entirely unfortunate, have certainly given Blackburn a chance to prove he belongs in the top six and Fregona has also take advantage. To me he's proven his ability to play an energy role as well as a number of other options, while also having some offensive gifts that can help UNH with that depth they truly need...

If (hopefully) healthy after the break I'd run out...

Nazarian - Pierson - Kelleher
                          Crookshank - Blackburn - Fregona
                          BVR - Vela - Grasso
                          MacAdams - Miller - Esposito
                          XF
                          Last edited by Dan; 12-08-2018, 07:45 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Cautionary note … does anyone remember what happened the last time UNH led an Ivy opponent 4-0 at home?
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Okay. Nice sweep of the Indians. Almost more satisfying than sweeping a Hockey East organeyezation!
                              Last edited by e.cat; 12-08-2018, 08:40 PM.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Sounds like they played a full 60!! Congrats Mike Robinson on the shutout. Sweet sweep boys!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X