X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Back in the day when excitement for UNH hockey seasons was palpable, posters used to predict scoring output prior to each season. Here is a projection based on how I think lines may shake out for UNH once the season gets going. The 105-goal prediction may be a bit optimistic with a team on the younger side of the coin - and based on what they've done in the past - but just call me Dan1932! I think it will take balance to get there, so few goal totals will jump off the page - though if you wanted to argue that more goals should be moved to the likely PP candidates and away from depth I wouldn't put up much of a fight. This is a +17 goals per game projection which is nearly half a goal more per game over the course of the year and based on last year's numbers would bounce UNH from just inside the top-50 to just inside the top-25 in goals per game at the national level. If they can shave a few more goals off of the goals against as well, they can climb the HE standings. I'd imagine they'll put up a slightly improved GAA and fight for the final spot in the Hockey East Playoffs...

PLAYER GOALS ASSISTS POINTS
    Blackburn 12 18 30
    Grasso 15 15 30
    Gildon 7 21 28
    Crookshank 10 15 25
    Kelleher 8 16 24
    Nazarian 8 12 20
    Maass 3 15 18
    Engaras 8 9 17
    Van Reimsdyk 5 10 15
    Wyse 3 10 13
    Vela 5 6 11
    MacAdams 5 5 10
    Pierson 4 4 8
    Miller 2 6 8
    Cippollone 3 4 7
    Esposito 3 4 7
    MacKinnon 1 5 6
    Boyd 1 4 5
    Fregona 1 4 5
    Cefalu 1 2 3
    Verrier 0 3 3
    Dawson 0 3 3
    Sato 0 2 1
    Sacco 0 1 1
    Hickey 0 1 1
    TOTAL 105 195 300
    ---

LINE PROJECTIONS:

Crookshank - Blackburn - Grasso
    Engaras - Nazarian - Kelleher
    BVR - Vela - MacAdams
    Pierson - Miller - Esposito/Cippolone/Fregona

Wyse - Maass
    Gildon - MacKinnon
    Boyd - Verrier
    Dawson (XD)*

* I'd peg Dawson as a likely choice to be the extra skater because he can fill in at defense and forward if there is an injury.

---

SCHEDULE PREDICTIONS

W - @Gate, @CC, UVM, MIA, DART, BENT, MC, @MC, UC, ME, @UVM, NU, UML
    L - @CC, UM, BU, @BC, @UM, MIA, @PC, PC, @BU, BC, @ME, @UC, @UVM, @UML, @NU
    T - @Gate, @UML, @DART, YALE, ME, NU

Overal: 13-15-6
    Hockey East: 8-13-3 (19 pts / 8th-Place)

---

HOCKEY EAST STANDINGS
    Boston College
    Providence
    Boston University
    UMass-Amherst
    UMass-Lowell
    Northeastern
    Maine
    New Hampshire
    Vermont
    Connecticut
    Merrimack
    CC tickets purchased. Souza is finally the head man - lets get this show on the road (but always remember this is year-four of his reign over recruiting and being heavily involved in all decisions determining development and the direction of the program). This is not a season that can be dismissed as a first-year head coach needing to establish himself. He needs to show significant improvement and upward direction right away on- and off- the ice. Time to seize his opportunity...
    Last edited by Dan; 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

As to 1932's point about Jackson Pierson - we will see. I hope you prove correct. Until then, I'm going to stand by the assumption that no matter how dynamic a skater or skilled a forward he's still going to face a significant adjustment jumping from Prep School to College (a year ahead of schedule). I like his future in Durham, just not sure he's the right fit for a top-line role immediately...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

The focus this year is definitely on Coach Souza, no doubt about it.

We will finally begin to see if BS35+6's master plan will be validated or vilified.

Personally, I'd like to see Souza put a more physical edge on "his" program. Maybe take a page from Bazin's book, at least to get things moving, and put a signature stamp on "his" teams. The program has been in a virtual coma for several years now, and Souza has got to do something to get the fanbase's attention. So mix it up, then. Especially in a year when UNH Football looks like they're gonna see a long postseason run come to an end, and folks are going to be looking for an exciting team to get behind.

Or, we'll wait for Coach Herrion to finally take UNH Hoops (*gulp*) to the top of the pecking order ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        The focus this year is definitely on Coach Souza, no doubt about it.

We will finally begin to see if BS35+6's master plan will be validated or vilified.

Personally, I'd like to see Souza put a more physical edge on "his" program. Maybe take a page from Bazin's book, at least to get things moving, and put a signature stamp on "his" teams. The program has been in a virtual coma for several years now, and Souza has to do something to get the fanbase's attention. Especially in a year when UNH Football looks like they're going to see their long postseason run come to an end, and folks are going to be looking for an exciting team to get behind.

Or, we'll wait for Coach Herrion to finally take UNH Hoops (*gulp*) to the top of the pecking order ...
        Based on quotes coming out of practice - the emphasis seems to be on team speed and transition. So perhaps a throwback to Umile's earlier years when the team really tried to run and gun and defended with transition and puck-possession? I'm not sure if thats the plan - or if they have the horses to play that way just yet - but I like that style if they're not getting bombed in return. Which shouldn't happen. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

“We’ve really tried to focus on transitioning the puck, which I think lends itself, to use a hockey cliche, play fast,” Souza said at the team’s media day Wednesday at the Whittemore Center. “I think we’re putting a huge emphasis on that and I think the kids are doing a good job with it.”
        Last edited by Dan; 10-11-2018, 01:07 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

COLGATE OUTLOOK

Colgate was a .500 team in 2017-18, managing just 87 goals scored but surrendering only 88. The biggest key to their goal prevention was Colton Point, who left Hamilton after his sophomore year to pursue an opportunity with the Dallas Stars. Point was outstanding, posting a .944 save-percentage and a 1.74 goals against average. He missed the series at UNH with a concussion and, as a result, UNH lit up Colgate to the tune of a 10-goal weekend (more than 11% of the goals 'Gate gave up all year)…

Colgate likely turns to a pair of freshmen to replace Point in Mitch Benson (Brooks Bandits, AJHL) and Andrew Farrier (Kingston Voyageurs, OJHL). Benson started the team’s exhibition game against Guelph (a 5-2 win), allowing one goal on 11 shots. Farrier played the second half of the game and made seven saves with one goal-against.

RAIDERS TO WATCH

In addition to the first-year netminders, Colgate’s defense is lead by Exeter, NH native Trevor Cosgrove who scored 5-12—17, including a pair of PP goals. Their leading returning scorer - by a mile – Bobby McMann returns after posting a 30-point season as a sophomore (14-16—30).

PREDICTION

This needs to be a 3-point weekend, at least. Colgate’s scoring woes are unlikely to be solved overnight, giving the new UNH netminders a good opportunity to get their feet wet. The freshmen goaltenders on the other end, could be vulnerable to a UNH attack that has a mix of exciting youth and semi-productive experience. I’d guess we’ll see a couple of games on the lower scoring side – but goaltenders on both sides have a lot to prove entering this series, so we’ll see…

UNH 4-2
          TIE 3-3
          Last edited by Dan; 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Based on quotes coming out of practice - the emphasis seems to be on team speed and transition. So perhaps a throwback to Umile's earlier years when the team really tried to run and gun and defended with transition and puck-possession? I'm not sure if thats the plan - or if they have the horses to play that way just yet - but we'll find out soon enough...
            I don't think they've got the horses to pull it off, but if they give it a shot, at least it won't be the turgid boring system hockey we've been "treated" to for most of the last few seasons.

Now that beer is sold at The Whitt, maybe we should encourage our future ECHL'ers to get a head start on their careers and have them goon it up a little, and maybe BS35+6 can replace the plexiglass with some chicken wire fencing like at old Snively.

Death to the Skating Mother Teresa's …
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Great choice for a thread title...it IS an opportunity for Coach Souza to put his mark on the program. I'm not sure I buy entirely it's his "fourth year" (get it about the recruiting piece of that tho). He finally has the chance to do things his way...and those things will be evident as we go along. I just want to see some hustle that's sustained all throughout the game, intensity, hard hitting hockey. Most of all I'm hoping / expecting/ looking forward to seeing the younger players get ice time if they're worthy of it for the future of the program. Let's Goooo 'Cats!! Wish I was making the trip to Hamilton!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

NH Chronicle (WMUR Channel 9) features Mike Souza tonight at 7:00.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  NH Chronicle (WMUR Channel 9) features Mike Souza tonight at 7:00.
                  Thanks for the heads up Darius!!!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Here are profiles of 4 UNH freshmen who, barring injury or illness, will be in the lineup this weekend against Colgate:

"UNH Freshman Angus Crookshank: A Fearless Scoring Force"
                    "UNH Freshman Jackson Pierson: Thinks Quick, Moves Quick"
                    "UNH Freshman Will MacKinnon: A Strong, Physical Defenseman"
                    "UNH Freshman Ryan Verrier: A Mobile, Athletic Defenseman"
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Coach Souza has held the starting goalie situation close to the vest but my sense is Ty Taylor will likely be in goal tonight against Colgate. Here's his profile:

"UNH Freshman Ty Taylor: BCHL Goalie of the Year"

Comment

Here are the profiles of two more UNH freshmen who I think have a better than even chance of being in the lineup for at least one of the games this weekend against Colgate:

"UNH Freshman Eric Esposito: A Hard-Nose, Tenacious Player"
                        "UNH Freshman Filip EngarĂ¥s: A Clever Two-Way Center"

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          Coach Souza has held the starting goalie situation close to the vest but my sense is Ty Taylor will likely be in goal tonight against Colgate. Here's his profile:

"UNH Freshman Ty Taylor: BCHL Goalie of the Year"
                          The NH Chronicle piece was more or less fluff. Coach slipped, quickly corrected himself, when he mentioned his two young goalies.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

No Engaras, Nazarian, Fregona, Cefalu in the lineup

Robinson in net

0-0 after 1, outshot 14-7
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-12-2018, 06:43 PM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              No Engaras, Nazarian, Fregona, Cefalu in the lineup

Robinson in net

0-0 after 1, outshot 14-7
                              There was speculation on Hockey's Future that Engaras (along with Lake States's Melvin Karlson) would have to serve some sort of penalty for his six SHL appearances. Karlson did not play last weekend for the Lakers, but is in the line-up tonight (thought its an exhibition). So, maybe, maybe not?

Nazarian must be injury or discipline.

---

Pierson scores for UNH on the PP - so he is getting prime run after all. A nice surprise. He only needs three more to match my initial expectation!! Assist to the captain, Vela and *BVR...

* changed to Gildon
                              Last edited by Dan; 10-12-2018, 09:01 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                              X