X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Roster is out and no Max Gildon...
    And no NH native Reilly Walsh, either. So essentially, USA Hockey going in another direction than the biggest strength of its '99 birth year (offensively gifted and skilled defenseman)...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      And no NH native Reilly Walsh, either. So essentially, USA Hockey going in another direction than the biggest strength of its '99 birth year (offensively gifted and skilled defenseman)...
      At first glance...how do you think they are going to fare?
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

At first glance...how do you think they are going to fare?
        It's still a really good team - but after hearing for so long how dynamic, skilled and impactful this D was going to be it's a shame to see them going in another direction. It really seems that stick-handedness was a huge priority and I think that's overrated. Even with the bodies in camp the LHD are vastly superior, but you've gotta think at least three RHD will make it...

I heard someone express it perfectly today, saying - "the team is still very good, but not as good as they could have been."

I think they go from among the few favorites to win it all, to a medal contender with an outside shot. Bypassing so many gifted defenseman for more match-up types will put a lot more pressure on the offense to score and there are a number of questions about the forward group...

There were also some high-skilled young Fs left off for '99s who have been just OK in the NCAA's this year, but the biggest question mark is Jack Hughes - the kid is legit, but the hype is huge and he is still just 17.

Yet, he is going to have to be the USA's best forward, and among the best in the tournament, if they want to win. That's not all their asking of him. They're essentially counting on him to turn Wahlstrom and Farabee back into the Int'l menaces they've been when playing with Hughes in the past - but both have struggled this year and are underagers themselves...

The mobile D really could have helped lighten the load on that trio. There's still plenty of talent and three very good goaltenders so they'll have a chance. And they're in the relatively easier group - with Slovakia, Kazakhstan, Sweden and Finland, so 3-1 should be the low expectation...

The medal round will be when the decisions made today on Gildon/Walsh/Wilde will either be lauded or exposed. The other group is stacked so there's a real chance for a very tough draw right away...
        Last edited by Dan; 12-05-2018, 07:26 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Additionally - I do tire of this USA Hockey approach of putting so much thought into how they will match up with other teams as opposed to building their best team and letting other countries worry about them...

It's not 1980 anymore. You're best players are among the world's best players nowadays. The US is a power and I wish they'd really start acting like one.

Yes, Eruzione, of all people was the hero for the '80 Olympic team - and they deserved their underdog title - but there were also quite a few real good players on that team. Question for our elder statesman- but besides Cox (who battled significant injury) and Mullen (who declined) who had the elite talent to be on that team but wasn't...?

In general, I think this idea that this US team was the right players rather than the best - when perhaps they were actually both - is overblown. The reason they were huge underdogs was age and the US's low status as a hockey country - not because they weren't generally the best Americans? Right or wrong, Greg? Others?

The US is as good as anyone these days - especially at the junior level...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Having only seen UNH once I can't give an opinion on whether Gildon should have made team
            However, I wonder if playing for a weaker team in Hockey east away from the main media market has hurt him
            Maybe he was scouted less as games weren't seen as important
            If you look at team the 4 Boston schools and Providence have all the players selected

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
              Having only seen UNH once I can't give an opinion on whether Gildon should have made team
              However, I wonder if playing for a weaker team in Hockey east away from the main media market has hurt him
              Maybe he was scouted less as games weren't seen as important
              If you look at team the 4 Boston schools and Providence have all the players selected
              I don't know anything about the selection process but they (powers that be with USA hockey) know Max having seen him in the summer and at other USNDT events...I'm selfish of course because we need him at our games but I'm sure there's disappointment there. I remember when Brett Pesce was selected didn't make the final cut. He (Max) has had a lot of great experiences and I'm sure he'll have a lot more. No question a worthy candidate! Like Dan said the make up of the coaching staff might have something to do with it as well perhaps.

Comment

UNH will sweep Dartmouth this weekend. Both goalies will play, one will earn a shutout. Discuss.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  UNH will sweep Dartmouth this weekend. Both goalies will play, one will earn a shutout. Discuss.
                  That's the spirit Chuck! Absolutely agree both goalies will play...and am thinking it's a GREAT weekend to get our first sweep in awhile...we can do it 'Cats!!! Keep hearing that Thompson Arena is a 'tough place to play'...why is that? Anyone got an inkling?

Comment

The health of the defensemen will be big for this weekend. Last weekend a few of the defensemen played a lot of hockey over a 26/27 hour span and wore down toward the end of it. Hopefully, the defense is healthier than last weekend. I believe both goalies will play and play well. To win we will need to generate more offense than we have been. A solid weekend would be good heading into the end of the semester break.

Comment

I think that Chuck and HR are lunatics! :-)

And, so am I, as I think that UNH, UVM, and UMass-Amherst will sweep this weekend!

Road stop at Rik Marley's Flying Goose Brewery at Exit 11 on I-89 en route to Hanover.

Comment

Ty Taylor gets the start Boyd back in the line up. Naz Bela Grasso top line

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Additionally - I do tire of this USA Hockey approach of putting so much thought into how they will match up with other teams as opposed to building their best team and letting other countries worry about them...

It's not 1980 anymore. You're best players are among the world's best players nowadays. The US is a power and I wish they'd really start acting like one.

Yes, Eruzione, of all people was the hero for the '80 Olympic team - and they deserved their underdog title - but there were also quite a few real good players on that team. Question for our elder statesman- but besides Cox (who battled significant injury) and Mullen (who declined) who had the elite talent to be on that team but wasn't...?

In general, I think this idea that this US team was the right players rather than the best - when perhaps they were actually both - is overblown. The reason they were huge underdogs was age and the US's low status as a hockey country - not because they weren't generally the best Americans? Right or wrong, Greg? Others?

The US is as good as anyone these days - especially at the junior level...
                          Re: your 1980 Olympics question, the answer is Craig Homola. Homola, a Minnesota native, was a in the midst of a dynamic career at UVM. From people I knew who were in the know back then (from BU), I was told that Brooks was unhappy with some of the forwards leading up to the Olympics (but before the wipeout against the Russians at MSG) and was looking to change things up. They brought Homola in for a tryout and supposedly he was offered a spot but declined, partly because he knew most of the guys on the roster.

It’s pretty hard to criticize the selection of the US team that year since, after all, they produced what is probably the greatest upset in the history of international sports. But Ralph Cox should have been on the team. He was one of the leading scorers throughout the season leading up to Lake Placid and he had few equals when it came to sniping the puck. The knock on him was his skating but there were a few forwards on that team who didn’t skate any better than Ralph and had nowhere the scoring touch that he did. I know Ralph a bit. He’s really a great guy and has been remarkably successful in his life and he long ago got over this snub. Chalk it up to Minnesota bias.

And Dan, you should never use the implied perjorative “of all people” when describing Mike Eruzione. During his time at BU, UNH had many epic battles against the Terriers. He clearly was not the prototypical stud on his BU teams (that would have been Ricky Meagher) but when it came to making the big play, getting the killer goal against us, it always seemed to Eruzione. Trust me, when he got the game winner against the Russians, I was not surprised that of all the great players on that team that it was he who got the goal.

As an aside, Eruzione is a cousin of my next door neighbor. Her husband, along with a dozen members of the extended Eruzione family, was part of the expedition to Lake Placid in February, 1980. My neighbor has accomplished quite a lot in his life, personally and professionally, But he acknowledges that sitting in Olympic Arena the night the US beat the Russians is right near the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Re: your 1980 Olympics question, the answer is Craig Homola. Homola, a Minnesota native, was a in the midst of a dynamic career at UVM. From people I knew who were in the know back then (from BU), I was told that Brooks was unhappy with some of the forwards leading up to the Olympics (but before the wipeout against the Russians at MSG) and was looking to change things up. They brought Homola in for a tryout and supposedly he was offered a spot but declined, partly because he knew most of the guys on the roster.

It’s pretty hard to criticize the selection of the US team that year since, after all, they produced what is probably the greatest upset in the history of international sports. But Ralph Cox should have been on the team. He was one of the leading scorers throughout the season leading up to Lake Placid and he had few equals when it came to sniping the puck. The knock on him was his skating but there were a few forwards on that team who didn’t skate any better than Ralph and had nowhere the scoring touch that he did. I know Ralph a bit. He’s really a great guy and has been remarkably successful in his life and he long ago got over this snub. Chalk it up to Minnesota bias.

And Dan, you should never use the implied perjorative “of all people” when describing Mike Eruzione. During his time at BU, UNH had many epic battles against the Terriers. He clearly was not the prototypical stud on his BU teams (that would have been Ricky Meagher) but when it came to making the big play, getting the killer goal against us, it always seemed to Eruzione. Trust me, when he got the game winner against the Russians, I was not surprised that of all the great players on that team that it was he who got the goal.

As an aside, Eruzione is a cousin of my next door neighbor. Her husband, along with a dozen members of the extended Eruzione family, was part of the expedition to Lake Placid in February, 1980. My neighbor has accomplished quite a lot in his life, personally and professionally, But he acknowledges that sitting in Olympic Arena the night the US beat the Russians is right near the top.
                            Excellent post, Greg. I was still in Seattle that winter, but a friend who managed the EMS store in Lake Plastic rented his apartment to the Italian Olympic team, which more than paid for his rent the next 12 months (he slept on floors and couches those four weeks).

Comment

Ty Taylor gets the start Boyd back in the line up. Naz Bela Grasso top line
                              Despite return of Boyd - both Sato and BVR playing a number of shifts on defense...

Outplayed in the second (shots 9-2) - a couple of huge Taylor stops keep this game tied heading to the third. UNH carries a PP into the final period...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Yikes! Cats once again blow a two-goal lead, and now have a mighty 7 SOG heading into third. But, could be down 3-2, as Gildon coughed up puck and let his guy take a point-blank SOG from right in front of the net with two seconds left in second; maybe he thought that he had heard the horn?

Comment

Working...
                                X