Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Tony on the hot seat? NFW with Alvarez at the helm. He can't whack him; he's Alvy's guy!

I'm not complaining about Tony yet, but it's close.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      Pssst.... the PK practice isn't working.....
      The PK sucking annoys me to a high degree. You don't need talent to PK, you need effort, grit and a decent plan. Two of those are covered. One is not.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Tony on the hot seat? NFW with Alvarez at the helm. He can't whack him; he's Alvy's guy!

I'm not complaining about Tony yet, but it's close.
        I’m pretty much with you on this. I really like Tony and think he can coach well but the weight of the last 23-24 years has me incredibly agitated about the state of the program.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          Stats after the weekend:

PWR 38th of 60
          GPG 2.92 26th dropped 10 spots
          GAA 3.08 36th dropped 1 spot
          PP% 18.5% 28th dropped 3 spots
          PK% 71.19% 57th dropped 3 spots (hey on the bright side we can only drop three more spots at most)
          Pen Minutes 15.92 8th (up one spot in a category up is bad)

Frustrating statistics.....
          Pretty sure the power play is less than 5% for the games Weissbach has been out. Would be nice to get him and skill/speed back.

Anyone hear anything on Lebedeff?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I believe when DG left we didn't bother to talk to Miller, who was available....obviously he doing a world of good @ OSU.

UM gives up lots of goals, maybe we can win 2 barn burners the next series.
            Miller was indeed the missing link for us. You got Strobel from us and our lack of D when he was here was our Achilles heel. When we got "Killer" everything turned around.
            I'm not trying to rub it in but if you had hired him, Wisconsin may well have had the season we did last year!
            Funny thing, Miller could be a head coach ANYWHERE in the college hockey world and his daughter told me he doesn't want the responsibility of being a head coach, totally satisfied as associate HC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Miller was indeed the missing link for us. You got Strobel from us and our lack of D when he was here was our Achilles heel. When we got "Killer" everything turned around.
              I'm not trying to rub it in but if you had hired him, Wisconsin may well have had the season we did last year!
              Funny thing, Miller could be a head coach ANYWHERE in the college hockey world and his daughter told me he doesn't want the responsibility of being a head coach, totally satisfied as associate HC.
              There isn't one UW poster that would argue with you. I appreciate the info.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                Pretty sure the power play is less than 5% for the games Weissbach has been out. Would be nice to get him and skill/speed back.

Anyone hear anything on Lebedeff?
                Questionable and in the concussion protocol per Brian Posick on 1310 this morning.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  There isn't one UW poster that would argue with you. I appreciate the info.
                  I would. I wouldn't argue that Killer isn't one of the best assistants in NCAA hockey as his record speaks for itself, but OSU hadn't had a 20 game winner or been to the NCAA's since '09. Strobel was there in 15-16 when this excellent class of 10 Seniors they have now were brought in as freshman, and they won 14 games. His second year with those 10 Sophs and 5 more Freshman they won 21 and went to the NCAA's. Buckeyes arguing they weren't good enough in Strobie's last year, when it was only their 7th NCAA trip in the last 50+ years, because Strobel was bad is pretty rich.

All those guys came back and they were better again last year. Shocking! -- They are all back again and through a freak series of events they added easily the best transfer player in NCAA in Junior Carson Meyer this year. Killer has been excellent there as everywhere, but let's not pretend it's some kind of miracle that has been worked.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

And you think Strobel has done great at UW, Wisko? And was the best available assistant to replace DG?
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      I would. I wouldn't argue that Killer isn't one of the best assistants in NCAA hockey as his record speaks for itself, but OSU hadn't had a 20 game winner or been to the NCAA's since '09. Strobel was there in 15-16 when this excellent class of 10 Seniors they have now were brought in as freshman, and they won 14 games. His second year with those 10 Sophs and 5 more Freshman they won 21 and went to the NCAA's. Buckeyes arguing they weren't good enough in Strobie's last year, when it was only their 7th NCAA trip in the last 50+ years, because Strobel was bad is pretty rich.

All those guys came back and they were better again last year. Shocking! -- They are all back again and through a freak series of events they added easily the best transfer player in NCAA in Junior Carson Meyer this year. Killer has been excellent there as everywhere, but let's not pretend it's some kind of miracle that has been worked.
                      I would agree that we had all the pieces but what kept us from reaching full potential was our commitment to an effective defense and penalty kill which we lacked until Miller came in. That was his specialty. I'm not saying Strobel was bad and our guys had a lot of respect for him but there are two very different coaching philosophies involved here and I think Miller's has proved to work the best. I was told before Miller was hired working on D was the lowest priority and least worked on in practice.
                      And when Oz was here his main demands were speed and endurance on the ice.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-20-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Does Strobel run the penalty kill? Or is it Osiecki?

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          And you think Strobel has done great at UW, Wisko? And was the best available assistant to replace DG?
                          I think Strobel fits what Tony and Oz want to do most, which is rebuild the Wisco Hockey Culture. Strobel is very impressive in person (and on the recruiting trail) and he is a terrific Culture guy that is excellent at connecting the past with the future. I've met Miller, he is great and a terrific guy (although I'll always hate him for stealing Will Butcher) but what all the long time fans and program alumni are clamoring for, namely, bringing back the winning Wisco Hockey Culture, is not what Steve Miller would be best at. He's best at recruiting and coaching D. We have, what is considered by anybody that knows anything, the best recruiter and developer of D in NCAA hockey, so that space is filled. Would Miller still be an asset? Sure. Is he a better coach than Strobel? I guess you could easily come to that conclusion, but I don't think what Miller does is what Tony wants Strobel on staff for.

I think we played a lot of guys in their 10th NCAA game this weekend, especially on the PK, against a lot of guys in their 100th NCAA game. I don't think it's a lot more complicated than that.

I have said several times before that I think Tony has been on a 5 year plan from the start. Unlike 15-20 years ago when a new coach like Eaves could bring in big talent in his second year, next year will be the first mostly open class that Tony went head to head with the other Big Boys when Turcotte, Lindmark, Holloway were 13-15 years old. Even then, Caufield's were already committed, but obviously they were able to flip them. So that is when you have to get them now, then wait 4 years 'til they come in. (That will change next year.)

I think the idea that Tony should be on the hot seat in year 3 isn't really logical.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

You know I've followed and commented on this portion of your thread with interest as two of your current coaches were in our program before returning to yours and I knew them both to a degree.
                            I can understand the subject and point of the hockey "culture" you are trying to reestablish by having all your coaches being alumni and of course you should be proud of it as we're proud that one of our own, J.B. Bittner has come home to help coach.
                            In fact my biggest fear is that someday Rohls may leave us to return to his alma mater as he's certainly come into his own as a head coach and helped bring us to a level we should have been at years ago if our university actually had given a da*n for hockey.
                            We were fortunate that Rohls stayed and was made HC after the dubious and mysterious circumstances of Oz's firing the first day back from taking us to the CCHA finals the last season of it's existence.
                            We never knew more than rumor & whispers why Oz was fired after his success here and unless he's spoken up about it we'll never know for certain. I can tell you he shook things up here as he had high expectations and demands of what he expected of his players and more than a few were not happy they had to bust their as** like never before. When they came back in the fall his first year they learned very quickly there was a new marshal in town and it was his way or the highway!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I think Strobel fits what Tony and Oz want to do most, which is rebuild the Wisco Hockey Culture. Strobel is very impressive in person (and on the recruiting trail) and he is a terrific Culture guy that is excellent at connecting the past with the future. I've met Miller, he is great and a terrific guy (although I'll always hate him for stealing Will Butcher) but what all the long time fans and program alumni are clamoring for, namely, bringing back the winning Wisco Hockey Culture, is not what Steve Miller would be best at. He's best at recruiting and coaching D. We have, what is considered by anybody that knows anything, the best recruiter and developer of D in NCAA hockey, so that space is filled. Would Miller still be an asset? Sure. Is he a better coach than Strobel? I guess you could easily come to that conclusion, but I don't think what Miller does is what Tony wants Strobel on staff for.

I think we played a lot of guys in their 10th NCAA game this weekend, especially on the PK, against a lot of guys in their 100th NCAA game. I don't think it's a lot more complicated than that.

I have said several times before that I think Tony has been on a 5 year plan from the start. Unlike 15-20 years ago when a new coach like Eaves could bring in big talent in his second year, next year will be the first mostly open class that Tony went head to head with the other Big Boys when Turcotte, Lindmark, Holloway were 13-15 years old. Even then, Caufield's were already committed, but obviously they were able to flip them. So that is when you have to get them now, then wait 4 years 'til they come in. (That will change next year.)

I think the idea that Tony should be on the hot seat in year 3 isn't really logical.
                              Strobel coached the D at OSU, correct? So we didn't need Miller but we needed Strobel? OK got it. It's culture. So we have a d-man coaching the power play and 2 d-man coaches on staff and the PK sucks. 57th in the nation of 60 teams.

I haven't heard the same about his personality, but since I heard it from someone else I don't put more weight into yours or the other person's take.

I also never stated TG is or should be on the hot seat. But, I also believe that in year 3 you should start to see improvement.

I hope you are right and I am wrong in this case, because losing sucks.
                              Last edited by WiscTJK; 11-21-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                                Does Strobel run the penalty kill? Or is it Osiecki?
                                I don't know. I was told they only work on PK when doing PP drills so I would guess since Strobel runs the PP, that Osiecki is probably running the PK.

Comment

Working...
                                X