Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Dude, I didn't give away the nuclear codes --> Everybody's email is on the UW website.
    Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
    It’s all good. Strobel knows more about hockey than I do. I’m sure they will work on it in practice.
    I know, I know... Old joke.

It was a really bad game for the team and I hope that they can do more.

I know they're young kids and hope they can rally with a good game for in their next one.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      I wasn't advocating emailing him, just noting that he runs the power play unit and I continue to be unimpressed TG hired him.
      Same here. Not really sure what he provides other than proof Don Granato is a great coach.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Rewatched the PP's this morning and I'd say it's not as bad as it appeared the first time around. The first one was actually pretty good, produced some really good chances that we didn't get in the net. What was wrong with the bad PP's wasn't the plan or even the decision making really, it was mostly just some really poorly executed simple passes that led to turnovers. My overall impression at first was they had trouble getting it in the zone, but upon further review, with the exception of Kalynuk's drop pass to nobody, they got it in pretty well. Miller struggled all night I thought, he made a few good plays but I thought he just looked slow and out of sorts. He's got to be much better and make this team go. Late in the game I think some guys really tried to be one man shows, and the fact is, none of them are Gretzky's, so that is just not going to fly.

Hopefully some lessons learned. Clarkson looks like a team that's going to win some games, so it might not be too bad down the road, but tonight is practically a must win. Skating Larry's are not a team we can afford to lose to in a one game shot, so buckle up and get to work boys.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

1-0 after 1. Not a bad start but stay out of the box!

Comment

Solid win.

Comment

Great win for the guys last night.

I only caught the second period on radio so not entirely sure how Lebedeff looked overall.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Rather than scramble the lines after a low energy and fairly lackluster performance, Tony sent the Freshman - Mersch, Achan, and Caufield - over the boards to start the game along with Kalynuk and Inamoto in a move I really like. It sent a message to the boys that playing hard is going to get you more time and a bigger role on this team no matter who you are, plus that line set the tone for the game by establishing the hard forecheck right from the drop of the puck. Also paid off as that line took control in the offensive zone about six minutes in, eventually drawing a penalty and scoring the rare delayed call goal. Achan credited with his first, but it was actually Mersch who was strong in front of the net with the tip in for his first as a Badger. Remains to be seen if the scoring will be corrected.

The first remained a one sided affair, but The Larry's Arthur Brey was very good in net, managing to keep the puck out on the next 20 or so shots until goals by Kalynuk and Dhooghe midway through the second chased him to the bench. Things began to get pretty chippy the rest of the way, which was actually a good thing for the Badgers, because they were able to get in a lot of special teams work. Seamus finally got the PP off the schnied early in the third with a goal from Johnson and Weisbach. By the end of the game the PP was really clicking with good, crisp passes lot's of movement to open areas and they notched a couple more really pretty goals. Hopefully that success will build a little confidence and get the special teams going next week.

In a game in which he didn't get much work early, I thought the big Finn looked good in goal. Made a few lovely saves when the boys got a little sloppy in front of him, and looked very composed the whole way. Great game to get him started off in and he sounded really excited to have played so well in his first outing. I can see what the staff sees in him as he really is a prototypical NHL type goalie in how he plays. Will be interesting to see how the staff plays it this week. Split time or stick with the winner? I'd kind of like to see them split time for a bit, myself. There's that element of added pressure if your guys are of the mindset that if they make a mistake they're done until the other guy blows it. I'm not sure that's the best way to handle goalies, but we'll see what the brain trust comes up with.

I should add for those that didn't see it, the only goal against was on an odd man rush where the right winger sent it back against the grain stick side and piped it high corner and in with a perfect shot from the low circle. Pretty much an unstoppable shot.
                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-21-2018, 10:40 AM.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

3-1 at this point is awesome. Lebedeff was solid, 8 players averaging a point a game, gotta love that. PP 21%, good. PK 75%, need work.

WCHA revival this weekend playing MI Tech. I have some great memories of UW teams from the late 80's & early 90's throttling them watching on the old black and white TV. I recall the first game I ever saw on PBS was Tech, and I was thinking who the heck is Mich Tech and why is WI playing them? For some reason it pops in my head Sean Hill having a hat trick once against them.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If you want a sausage fest, go to Tech *clap*clap*
                    Where the women aren’t worth mention,
                    Like a comic book convention
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

For some reason I remember a goalie named Sardiff that got lit up playing for Tech (Pretty sure it was Tech.)

Many verses of songs sang about him.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                        For some reason I remember a goalie named Sardiff that got lit up playing for Tech (Pretty sure it was Tech.)

Many verses of songs sang about him.
                        This guy????

Sarjeant, Geoff (1988-92)

No 29

75 GP

17-45-5 Record

305 GA

4.51 GAA

2357 Saves

.885 Save %

Newmarket, Ontario

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s..._Letterwinners
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          This guy????

Sarjeant, Geoff (1988-92)

No 29

75 GP

17-45-5 Record

305 GA

4.51 GAA

2357 Saves

.885 Save %

Newmarket, Ontario

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s..._Letterwinners
                          That's the one. Man, my brain hurts. I was close on the name. Had a few rough games against the Badgers.

Comment

Holy puckstopper Batman! Matt Jurusik may play against his old team this weekend?! I'm not sure I can sieve him or taunt him at all. I wish it would have worked out for him @ UW. I hope if he plays UW wins 1-0.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Holy puckstopper Batman! Matt Jurusik may play against his old team this weekend?! I'm not sure I can sieve him or taunt him at all. I wish it would have worked out for him @ UW. I hope if he plays UW wins 1-0.
                              Sorry, I'm not with you on this one, Timmy. He QUIT on his own accord because the Badgers "had the gall" to try to improve the horrible goaltending situation at the time. If he plays, I don't care if we win by 5 or 10. Just win baby.

I wasn't brought up to quit when times got tough or I got beat out. I'd work harder. I've seen it more and more in college athletics.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Sorry, I'm not with you on this one, Timmy. He QUIT on his own accord because the Badgers "had the gall" to try to improve the horrible goaltending situation at the time. If he plays, I don't care if we win by 5 or 10. Just win baby.

I wasn't brought up to quit when times got tough or I got beat out. I'd work harder. I've seen it more and more in college athletics.
                                Yeah, I'm not with you here at all. It looks to me like Jurusik very likely got his scholarship pulled or drastically reduced. Since he's an out of state student, that meant he went from a full ride to having to pay $30-50k out of pocket to stay and "work harder". I have no problem with a kid doing what is in his best interest as an athelete and a student. He had Junior eligibility and a chance to find an opportunity and a scholarship which he did work hard for and received from Tech. Good kid that has nothing to apologize for here.
                                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-24-2018, 06:14 PM.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X