Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Maybe I've had too much thinner in the Eastern Time Zone already, but I have no idea what five letter swear word you used there.
    Rhymes with wussy.

How much has Badger hockey fallen? The hockey article in today's state urinal is on page 5. Ahead of them? Well deserved cross country, of course football and men's basketball, women's volleyball, women's basketball (THAT'S disturbing).

This program better wake up now. At least Sean Dhooghe admitted they aren't good enough right now. Kudos to him for being the first, and only, guy to say it.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-18-2018, 02:54 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Rhymes with wussy. 😠

How much has Badger hockey fallen? The hockey article in today's state urinal is on page 5. Ahead of them? Well deserved cross country,of course football and men's basketball, volleyball, women's basketball (THAT'S disturbing).

This program better wake up now. At least Sean Dhooghe admitted they aren't good enough right now. Kudos to him for being the first, and only, guy to say it.
      Wow. But that’s what 23-24 years of mostly subpar hockey gets you. Wisconsin hockey as a national power is something us older guys recall with fondness. There’s not a kid on campus or on the team who knows Wisconsin hockey for what it was historically. They know 06, 10 and maybe, maybe heard of Dany Heatley but that was a one game flame out in the tourney.

Right now tOSU and Penn State are miles ahead of Wisconsin. In fact they could be the emerging new Wisconsin’s like badger bob in the early 70’s.

I dropped season tickets finally. Had em’ with my dad from 1984 to 3 years ago. I won’t be 👀 to buy into this program until there’s a solid foundation rebuilt. Make the ncaa’s 4-5 years in a row and do some damage and i’ll Be back. Otherwise i’ll Listen to 10-12 games on the radio and maybe eventually find something else to do and just check box scores once in a while.

EDIT- page 5!!!!!!!! Page ****ing 5 in the State Journal! That’s all the indication you need to know this program isn’t taken seriously anymore.

I really hope the alumni hockey guys are calling in with ideas because this team needs a swift kick in the *** and some energy and passion. Chelios, Driver, Tuttle, Rafalski? Those guys wouldn’t recognize this as Wisconsin hockey.
      Last edited by solovsfett; 11-18-2018, 10:58 AM.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Wow. But that’s what 23-24 years of mostly subpar hockey gets you. Wisconsin hockey as a national power is something us older guys recall with fondness. There’s not a kid on campus or on the team who knows Wisconsin hockey for what it was historically. They know 06, 10 and maybe, maybe heard of Dany Heatley but that was a one game flame out in the tourney.

Right now tOSU and Penn State are miles ahead of Wisconsin. In fact they could be the emerging new Wisconsin’s like badger bob in the early 70’s.

I dropped season tickets finally. Had em’ with my dad from 1984 to 3 years ago. I won’t be �� to buy into this program until there’s a solid foundation rebuilt. Make the ncaa’s 4-5 years in a row and do some damage and i’ll Be back. Otherwise i’ll Listen to 10-12 games on the radio and maybe eventually find something else to do and just check box scores once in a while.

EDIT- page 5!!!!!!!! Page ****ing 5 in the State Journal! That’s all the indication you need to know this program isn’t taken seriously anymore.

I really hope the alumni hockey guys are calling in with ideas because this team needs a swift kick in the *** and some energy and passion. Chelios, Driver, Tuttle, Rafalski? Those guys wouldn’t recognize this as Wisconsin hockey.
        Hell, the fact is there are posters HERE that don't know the history, think we are old crusty ****ers and don't understand why we're ornery towards the administration.

I was talking to John Newberry (and a couple other alumni) at the last luncheon. He's pretty disappointed. While he still resides in BC, (he is a firefighter, maybe retired) I think he gets back here occasionally. He's the kind of guy we need to make some noise; the very passionate western Canadians who could confront Alvarez in his palace and wake him up.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          I listened to the first but that was it. Sounds like it was another Friday disaster.

They won't be making the NCAA tournament if they don't start winning consistently.

Year three should be showing improvement.

Paging Don Granato......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I believe when DG left we didn't bother to talk to Miller, who was available....obviously he doing a world of good @ OSU.

UM gives up lots of goals, maybe we can win 2 barn burners the next series.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Hell, the fact is there are posters HERE that don't know the history, think we are old crusty ****ers and don't understand why we're ornery towards the administration.

I was talking to John Newberry (and a couple other alumni) at the last luncheon. He's pretty disappointed. While he still resides in BC, (he is a firefighter, maybe retired) I think he gets back here occasionally. He's the kind of guy we need to make some noise; the very passionate western Canadians who could confront Alvarez in his palace and wake him up.
            Agreed. And Newberry or any of the say 1977 through 1985ish players would be great to hear their expectations of this program especially if they talk to Alvarez about it.

Each year that goes by where UW is an average or subpar team is another year where PSU, tOSU and others cement themselves as the new marquee names in NCAA hockey. And that’s something this admin clearly doesn’t understand. And it may result in UW losing recruiting battles on top of not producing with the kids they DO get.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Hell, according to you guys badger hockey has been mediocre for longer than I’ve been alive. Not gonna pretend to know what it’s like to have a consistent winning team (Wait, hello UWSP) but the fan support really started dropping after the 2009-2010 and 2013-2014 seasons. Isn’t hard for a college kid to figure out a 4 year cycle.

Something to note: history is just that. History. It doesn’t matter if people know the history. Start getting winning seasons with NCAA tournaments 3 out of ever 4 years. You win, you generate excitement. Excitement brings the fans back. Nothing else matters.

It gets really annoying hearing the constant complaining. We got the three coaches that most here were clamoring for and what have they done? One left. The other two probably couldn’t beat this exact same team if it was coached by Mike Eaves.

One thing is for sure, getting talked down to sure doesn’t help anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                Hell, according to you guys badger hockey has been mediocre for longer than I’ve been alive. Not gonna pretend to know what it’s like to have a consistent winning team (Wait, hello UWSP) but the fan support really started dropping after the 2009-2010 and 2013-2014 seasons. Isn’t hard for a college kid to figure out a 4 year cycle.

Something to note: history is just that. History. It doesn’t matter if people know the history. Start getting winning seasons with NCAA tournaments 3 out of ever 4 years. You win, you generate excitement. Excitement brings the fans back. Nothing else matters.

It gets really annoying hearing the constant complaining. We got the three coaches that most here were clamoring for and what have they done? One left. The other two probably couldn’t beat this exact same team if it was coached by Mike Eaves.

One thing is for sure, getting talked down to sure doesn’t help anything.

Disagree. History is incredibly important to understand. Look at NCAA football. I bet in your lifetime Michigan and Notre Dame have been very average but historically they are towering giants whose fan bases feel (the old school ones anyway) that vying for national title matters. 11-1 seasons? Meh, that year sucked!

It’s possible Wisconsin will turn it around but it will take a HELL of a lot of effort and that starts with understanding why they were so successful historically. 5 national titles in a 17-year span from 73-90 with a loss in the NCAA championship in 1982 and just outside this spread in 1992. A bounce here or there and they could have had 7 titles in 19 years. That’s the type of run BC has been on.

Granato and Oz need to figure this out before the remaining fan base turn and leave.

EDIT: I hate posting from my phone. Too many typos
                Last edited by solovsfett; 11-18-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  Disagree. History is incredibly important to understand. Look at NCAA football. I bet in your kifetime Michigan and Notre Dame have been very average but historically they are towering giants whose fan bases feel (the old school ones anyway) that vying for national title matters. 11-1 seasons? Meh, that year sucked!

It’s possible Wisconsin will turn it around but it will take a HELL of a lot of effort and that starts with understanding why they were so successful historically. 5 national titles in a 17-year span from 73-90 with a loss in the NCAA championship in 1982 and just outside this spread in 1992. A bounce here or there and they could have had 7 titles in 19 years. That’s the type of run BC has been on.

Granato and Oz need to figure this out before the remaining fan base turn and leave.
                  I’m not convinced Tony Granato is a good coach. Didn’t win anything as a player here, didn’t win in the NHL, hasn’t won anything as a coach at any level. Can’t even get his guys to play well on Friday nights. Don Granato was a much better coach with better recruiting connections. Osiecki has his guys here. The defense has improved significantly over the three years. The goaltending has improved, at least this year. The forwards are trending downwards. This is where having Don Granato would’ve been huge.

Everything hockey related in the 70s, 80s and 90s was completely different than it is now. There’s no way you can look back then and apply it to today and have the same success. The current coaching staff should look at teams like Duluth, SCSU, Denver, etc. Teams that are having current 4+ years of success.

Comment

I’m not convinced Tony Granato is a good coach. Didn’t win anything as a player here, didn’t win in the NHL, hasn’t won anything as a coach at any level. Can’t even get his guys to play well on Friday nights. Don Granato was a much better coach with better recruiting connections. Osiecki has his guys here. The defense has improved significantly over the three years. The goaltending has improved, at least this year. The forwards are trending downwards. This is where having Don Granato would’ve been huge.

Everything hockey related in the 70s, 80s and 90s was completely different than it is now. There’s no way you can look back then and apply it to today and have the same success. The current coaching staff should look at teams like Duluth, SCSU, Denver, etc. Teams that are having current 4+ years of success.
                    Pretty sure Granato took the Avs to the playoffs and if Sidney Crosby says he’s a good coach i’m Listening.

As far as Granato’s 4 years as a player how do you blame him and not Sauer for not making the NCAA’s?!?’? They had Tuttle, Ranheim, Granato and many other greats. Not Tony’s fault.

The best indicator on TG’s coaching imo will be, does this team continue making mental errors, does this team continue looking anemic on pk and pp.those are fixes the coach can implement. Unfortunately he cannot create talent and the upperclassmen are absolutely not as good (or not performing) as the sophs/frosh.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      Pretty sure Granato took the Avs to the playoffs and if Sidney Crosby says he’s a good coach i’m Listening.

As far as Granato’s 4 years as a player how do you blame him and not Sauer for not making the NCAA’s?!?’? They had Tuttle, Ranheim, Granato and many other greats. Not Tony’s fault.

The best indicator on TG’s coaching imo will be, does this team continue making mental errors, does this team continue looking anemic on pk and pp.those are fixes the coach can implement. Unfortunately he cannot create talent and the upperclassmen are absolutely not as good (or not performing) as the sophs/frosh.
                      Granato took a star studded team to the playoffs after Colorado fired their head coach. Then finished the next year 2nd in the division. Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, and Liles. It would’ve been embarrassing if they didn’t make the playoffs.

How can we not blame him for not making the tournament these past two years and likely this year? You want it to return to how it was? Demand success and find someone who can achieve it even when he has less talent to work with. This team’s record on Friday night:

2016-17: 11-5-1
                      2017-18: 5-12-0
                      2018-19: 1-5-0

I think we all know what happened in between season 1 and 2. Don Granato left. Kunin went pro. Besse graduated.

The fact that Tony, the man who’s coached in the NHL, doesn’t have his team prepared to play on Friday nights is a catastrophic failure. And it’s not just the fact they are losing but sometimes it looks like these guys have never played before. Can’t complete a pass, defensive lapses, zero teamwork. You say he cannot create talent but it’s literally his job to get talent to campus. Pretty good indicator the seat should be getting hot. He needs to start delivering. No more excuses.

Comment

Granato took a star studded team to the playoffs after Colorado fired their head coach. Then finished the next year 2nd in the division. Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, and Liles. It would’ve been embarrassing if they didn’t make the playoffs.

How can we not blame him for not making the tournament these past two years and likely this year? You want it to return to how it was? Demand success and find someone who can achieve it even when he has less talent to work with. This team’s record on Friday night:

2016-17: 11-5-1
                        2017-18: 5-12-0
                        2018-19: 1-5-0

I think we all know what happened in between season 1 and 2. Don Granato left. Kunin went pro. Besse graduated.

The fact that Tony, the man who’s coached in the NHL, doesn’t have his team prepared to play on Friday nights is a catastrophic failure. And it’s not just the fact they are losing but sometimes it looks like these guys have never played before. Can’t complete a pass, defensive lapses, zero teamwork. You say he cannot create talent but it’s literally his job to get talent to campus. Pretty good indicator the seat should be getting hot. He needs to start delivering. No more excuses.
                        Now here I agree with everything you said.
                        NCAA appearance this year or as far as i’m Concerned a change will be needed at HC. That’s been my point all along, Wisconsin hockey should have the same expectations as Duke roundball and Alabama football.

Win! Or get out.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          NCAA appearance this year or as far as i’m Concerned a change will be needed at HC.

Win! Or get out.
                          I don't think I am to this point yet. He needs 4 years minimum, he needs a roster with all his guys.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I believe when DG left we didn't bother to talk to Miller, who was available....obviously he doing a world of good @ OSU.

UM gives up lots of goals, maybe we can win 2 barn burners the next series.
                            Yep, Mark Strobel is a big downgrade over DG IMO.

He's in charge of the power play and a little birdie told me they only practice PK when doing PP practice.

Mark was a great badger, but we need an offensive mind, not a blueliner.
                            Last edited by WiscTJK; 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Yep, Mark Strobel was huge mistake and big downgrade over DG.

He's in charge of the power play and a little birdie told me they only practice PK when doing PP practice.
                              Pssst.... the PK practice isn't working.....
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Stats thru 10 games:

GPG 3.4 16th
                                GAA 3.4 35th
                                PP% 21% 25th
                                PK% 72% 54th (ouch)
                                Pen Minutes 16 9th

Lots of penalty minutes and horrid penalty kill. Not a good combination.
                                Stats after the weekend:

PWR 38th of 60
                                GPG 2.92 26th dropped 10 spots
                                GAA 3.08 36th dropped 1 spot
                                PP% 18.5% 28th dropped 3 spots
                                PK% 71.19% 57th dropped 3 spots (hey on the bright side we can only drop three more spots at most)
                                Pen Minutes 15.92 8th (up one spot in a category up is bad)

Frustrating statistics.....
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X