Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Well, that does it. No more Bucky Pucky for me.

If anybody in North America needs their team to lose (for entertainment purposes only) 😉 I'm for hire. I show up they lose.

How did Daniel look? Was he that bad that he got yanked or was it that "we need a change" thing?
    As I wrote earlier, I don't have a good home-game winning record. I had a prior commitment and couldn't make Saturday's game.....we won! Guess who was at Lambeau Field on Sunday?

I'm not going near the Kohl Center this weekend. I'll be in the friendly confines of what I call "My Privileged Hockey Area" in the recliner watching on the big screen in glorious 1080i.

As I research, it looks like only Saturday night on FOX WI. ****ing BTN has MI and MN BOTH nights. For the 50th time, **** the BTN. They've got to get those wrestling and basketball reruns on, you know.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      Badgers got a single vote in the polls this week. Movin' on up!

Polls- schmolls - the IMPORTANT THING is the Badgers are up to Number 13 in the Sonny Moore Power Ratings!
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Polls- schmolls - the IMPORTANT THING is the Badgers are up to Number 13 in the Sonny Moore Power Ratings!
        Any poll sponsored by Lee's Mowing and Lawn Care is going to be at the top of my list going forward.

Oh, and they are 12TH!!!! in that poll!!!
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Any poll sponsored by Lee's Mowing and Lawn Care is going to be at the top of my list going forward.

Oh, and they are 12TH!!!! in that poll!!!
          12th... Yes they are. ...er... see... That was just a test to see if anyone is paying attention. Congratulations you passed!

I'm sure Lee's Mowing and Lawn Care (You grow it, I mow it!) is as fine an establishment as there is in Wilson County, TN. Fine, upstanding and honest folks who sponsor a fine, upstanding and honest computer ranking system!
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

How in the world did you find that?!?!!?!!??? That's so cool. You cannot deny the accuracy of a poll that was started in 1974.
            I'd like to see how their system would rank the women.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              How in the world did you find that?!?!!?!!??? That's so cool. You cannot deny the accuracy of a poll that was started in 1974.
              I'd like to see how their system would rank the women.
              I was wondering the same things. Never in my life have I heard of that poll, but was absolutely amazed by it as soon as I saw it. There has to be a long and amazing story about the history of it (or a very brief and boring one.) Either way, there has to be a story.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                As I wrote earlier, I don't have a good home-game winning record. I had a prior commitment and couldn't make Saturday's game.....we won! Guess who was at Lambeau Field on Sunday?

I'm not going near the Kohl Center this weekend. I'll be in the friendly confines of what I call "My Privileged Hockey Area" in the recliner watching on the big screen in glorious 1080i.

As I research, it looks like only Saturday night on FOX WI. ****ing BTN has MI and MN BOTH nights. For the 50th time, **** the BTN. They've got to get those wrestling and basketball reruns on, you know.
                Don't worry Rich, they got you covered on Friday with BTN+ for a mere $9.95 per month.......
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  Don't worry Rich, they got you covered on Friday with BTN+ for a mere $9.95 per month.......

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I was wondering the same things. Never in my life have I heard of that poll, but was absolutely amazed by it as soon as I saw it. There has to be a long and amazing story about the history of it (or a very brief and boring one.) Either way, there has to be a story.
                    I've heard of it for quite a long time and despite the antiquated web site, Sonny Moore's is a pretty well respected system. While I don't think we know the exact formula, it's predictive, similar to Sagarin rankings and weights more recent games. Personally I'd take it over RPI right now which to me has always had problems with the way its handles NCAA hockey. One being that your first game in October counts the same as any game in February or March. Another being the weighting and the way SOS works out, but that's all another story. Nate Silver has used Sonny Moore's in predicting NCAA games and it's been included in quite a number of combination systems.

If you check the football rankings, you'll notice the Badgers have fallen to #83. Probably in large part due to their 1-3-1 record in the last five. I don't think the Badgers are the 83rd best team, but it's hard to argue that they are playing better than a whole bunch of teams when their only regulation win in the last 5 is by 14 vs. a 1-11 Rutgers and they lose to a terrible MN team by 22.

In any case it's nice to see the boys on a list in decent position after all their hard work the last couple weeks.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The case for why this is a rip off has been well made, I get it, and I'm not arguing it at all, but I'm personally satisfied with my $29.85 for 10 games (I think) in Oct.-Dec. as I'm just happy I can watch them in any way, shape, or form. Plus I've watched VB and some other things. Next year I think I'll look into FloSports as they now have all the WCHA plus all the BTN+ content for $150/year. What I think would work best for College Hockey is if Flo could make a deal with the rest of the conferences and get it all under one streaming umbrella. Then a guy could spend his every waking moment watching 100's of college hockey games during what would almost certainly turn into a complete downward life spiral. But it would probably be worth it.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Also, here's a question for you guys that keep in touch with the AD. Why have the Badgers stopped (since like two years ago) streaming the post game pressers, or even putting up the video after? I think it's a huge mistake with the post games because it's one of the few times fans can see and connect with the players and their personalities on an individual basis. We get all these tremendous kids in here and then don't show them off. Just bad marketing.

I believe they also stopped live streaming the Monday pressers, which they do eventually chop up and post if you know where to look. But it takes them hours to get it online.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The case for why this is a rip off has been well made, I get it, and I'm not arguing it at all, but I'm personally satisfied with my $29.85 for 10 games (I think) in Oct.-Dec. as I'm just happy I can watch them in any way, shape, or form. Plus I've watched VB and some other things. Next year I think I'll look into FloSports as they now have all the WCHA plus all the BTN+ content for $150/year. What I think would work best for College Hockey is if Flo could make a deal with the rest of the conferences and get it all under one streaming umbrella. Then a guy could spend his every waking moment watching 100's of college hockey games during what would almost certainly turn into a complete downward life spiral. But it would probably be worth it.

I know it irritates Rich, so I posted that with tongue in cheek. I too pay the $10 / month during hockey season and I have watched volleyball and wrestling on it as well. Is women's hockey on there as well?
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I know it irritates Rich, so I posted that with tongue in cheek. I too pay the $10 / month during hockey season and I have watched volleyball and wrestling on it as well. Is women's hockey on there as well?
                            A good deal of the Women's games are on BTN+, but some of the away games aren't. It gets kind of frustrating to know what games will be on WCHA networks and other random school networks.

Comment

I think you can take the rest of the day off and binge watch 13 of the 18 Women's games played so far if you've missed them. Good call as I forgot to mention I've watched most of them as well.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

It's not the $10 that bothers me, it's the principal. "Greedy folk have long arms."

The BTN has 2 alternate channels in addition to the main one. They are used for football but rarely after that. They are producing games (or co-producing them) otherwise BTN+ wouldn't have them. All they would have to do is flip a switch and BOOM......2 extra B1G channels worth of advertising! Somebody's going to tell us it's not that easy, but it is.

Obviously, it's not a life or death situation, but the whole B1G money grab really bugs me. Get off my (snow filled) lawn.

Anyway, Let's Talk Hockey! 1 hour away from watching my Avalanche destroy the Flying Penguins. Badgers will sweep this weekend. The Kohl Center is 10 miles from my home; I promise not to get any closer.

Comment

Working...
                                X